Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

561 - 568 of 568 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,731 Posts
The calipers are pretty soft compared to the bolt going in, threads do strip out easily if you're not careful. Best thread insert is actually a time-sert, the kit is not cheap but its much stronger than a helicoil. It's what we use to rethread the TLS calipers back to oem diameter bolt so you don't need to drill out the knuckle.

Same findings here on the whole piston orientation thing, it's not necessary to flip them back to normal. I've tracked on my calipers and beat on them, pad wear is normal and I personally have zero issues. I recently rebuilt a caliper for a guy that had seized pistons and was leaking fluid after being used for only 20 miles... had the "external crossover mod" done on them, all I'll say is :ugh:......

Leave the caliper as is, the only mod you should do is milling the backside and rethreading it, both of which are not required either to do the retrofit, just makes life easier. My 2 cents

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Leave the caliper as is, the only mod you should do is milling the backside and rethreading it, both of which are not required either to do the retrofit, just makes life easier. My 2 cents
Wish I had known. Not sure if it'll be an issue when I'll need to remove the caliper next. Just noticed it won't get tight enough. Hope it's not an issue and the bolt is stuck in place cuz of the threads have freed from the caliper (if I understand the issue correctly). That might be a PITA to remove that bolt.

·
Super Moderator
10,731 Posts
Wish I had known. Not sure if it'll be an issue when I'll need to remove the caliper next. Just noticed it won't get tight enough. Hope it's not an issue and the bolt is stuck in place cuz of the threads have freed from the caliper (if I understand the issue correctly). That might be a PITA to remove that bolt.
You should be able to get it out, the mangled threads isn't a big deal to repair. If the threads are already fucked just use a cordless impact or something to reverse the bolt out. . Then use a helicoil or buy a timesert kit to repair the thread/hole, latter of which is more expensive but will never strip on you after it's done. And of course get a new bolt.

·
See me on REAL guitar.
1,413 Posts
Just got my conversion going, bolted/mocked up.

the 5mm spacer doesn’t center the rotor in the caliper for me either. I’m going to try 6.5mm like I saw some others say they had to do.

561 - 568 of 568 Posts