Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
I <3 Integras
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I saw a few other threads about this, one of which basically gave me this idea. I couldn't find the part that the poster of the other thread used so I found something more commonplace.

I walked around Home Depot for a while thinking creatively and found these soft rubber caps for the end of canes or table legs. The opening is about 3/4 of 1 inch I think.

What you'll need for this DIY:
- Your Boot/Tray piece removed
- Your Ultra Custom rubber cane/table leg cap
- A pair of plyers (Optional)
- One strong zip-tie
- Razor blade of somekind

If you don't already know.. you turn your stock boot inside out and cut the zip-tie that is holding your stock collar on. Remove the stock collar and, if you want roll the top of the boot back to take out some slack. This is nice for short shifter guys so the boot isn't sagging horribly even with a good collar. Cut a circle hole out of the middle of the rubber cap a little smaller in diameter than the shifter itself (mine just happened to have an indentation that was the perfect size and made it easy). Then insert the cap from the top side into the inside out shift boot and push it till you can see it as pictured:

Next, use the plyers for a better grip if needed and crank a zip-tie down as close to the top edge of the rubber cap as you can. The soft rubber piece and the leather stick together nice so snugging it down with the zip will likely hold it a long time:

Here's the finished product before install:

Just push the shifter thru the hole you cut and snap the plastic piece down. Push the rubber cap down below the threads and install your lock nut and shift knob. Push the rubber cap back up against the lock nut.

Finished with the knob installed:

I like the lock nut showing if it's clean and not all scratched up but you can just as easily cut the hole bigger and make it fit over the locking nut. All in all, not a bad looking fix for next to no $$$!

Here is the link to the other DIY that I considered this an alternative to since the part is easier to find and holds itself in place without extra hardware although I still think that the one with this hard to find part looks a little cleaner.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=577513&highlight=collar

·
I <3 Integras
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was seriously trolling for an hour for something decent to make one of these out of. This is easiest to use, it's complete at just 1 part (+ziptie.. I think of those as a tool really, lol) and if I screwed it up or it wears out and sucks then i'm out, what... 37 cents? LOL

·
Sad_t3arZ
1,503 Posts
i did mine similar to urs but i just went to home depot and bought the rubber gromet and slipped it under the shiftboot collar and installed the knob then push the gromet up and ur done. hidden and does the job

·
Dc5ish
1,195 Posts
just did it. doesn't look bad at all. i went to home depot and it came in a pack of 4 for $2.36ish. qqqqq i only need ONE! if only they sold it individually..

instead of using the razor blade to cut the hole out, i just used a drill with a fat drill bit. its pretty thick and hard so i think drilling would be an easier alternative than a razor.

Great DIY!

·
I <3 Integras
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just did it. doesn't look bad at all. i went to home depot and it came in a pack of 4 for $2.36ish. qqqqq i only need ONE! if only they sold it individually..

instead of using the razor blade to cut the hole out, i just used a drill with a fat drill bit. its pretty thick and hard so i think drilling would be an easier alternative than a razor.

Great DIY!
Yea. Needless to say, i've got some back-ups, lol! Glad some people are finding this useful.

·
7,611 Posts
Very nice - I like the look better than my Lowe's rubber grommet boot collar! :thumbsup:

Props for creativity - reminds me of the rubber furniture caps I used to cover the bolt holes of my Neuspeed front strut bar.....

·
Sinister Crew
151 Posts
Nice DIY man!. I think I'll have to take a trip down to Home Depot or just jack one off of my grandma's cane:shady:

PS. I like the flip flops too.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts