Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
It tastes like BURNING!!!
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so we’ve all been here before, right?

And I just didn’t want to spend the however much money on a complete replacement set of fogs, so I just decided to take them out entirely. I had heard there were some cuts to the bumper to install the fogs, but I had no idea it would be like this:

So it was impossible just to take out the housings entirely. So I said to myself, “Self, what should you do? Keep a sorry ass broken fog light in there and look ghetto? Buy a body kit?” And then it hit me… do something cheap! Ultimately it ends up looking like this, so please continue to read if you’re interested in how I did it. And if you’re not, then… well.. I dunno. Go read another post. :p

Basically, I remembered that I had some old gutter guard sitting around from the DIY Grill days… so the cool part is, it will match my existing grill. All you need is some gutter guard, some tin snips (or strong scissors would work), and a couple zip ties. This is truly ghetto fab, but hell, it works. And the way I see it, now the CAI is getting some extra air, so I’m gonna say this mod adds 4-6hp. :thumbsup:

Anydamnways, here are the supplies, and how I started out:

Start by removing the screws I’ve pointed to with my hardcore Paint Skeelz:

I just cut a strip of gutter guard into the approximate rectangle shape it was going to fit. You’ve got to do some trimming and bending, so before it went in for good, this is what the gutter guard looked like:

I used two of the existing screws to hold it in, and a zip tie on the other side to keep it there. You have to push down on it and make sure there’s some positive pressure towards the outside (eventual front) of the housing assembly, or else it might look cheesey. ;) Here’s one:

And the other:

Since I wanted to keep the ability to maybe replace the assemblies later on, I went ahead and left the wiring in. I just zip tied it up to keep it from flapping around:

And that’s about it! Took about an hour altogether, and I think it looks better than one broken fog light. I’m curious to see if anyone else gives this a shot. If you do, post pix!

I hope this was helpful to some of you cheap bastards out there! :)

-Andy

·
Registered
24,665 Posts
what would happen if you put a wire cage around the non broken foglights? would that look gay?

·
Registered
951 Posts
hey..thanks for the diy solution.. my cracked fogs are sooo damn hideous.. i'm gonna fix them with plexiglass but need some downtime so i'll use your idea to at least 'clean up' the front end...!

·
Honda4Ever
7,580 Posts
Had this idea a while ago, but decided I'm going to get the ebay replacements for $100 and get some stoneguard for them.

·
700p LTR TWS .308
19,493 Posts
I did that last year and found it actually melted into the foglight housings. :(

I found that the OEM CRX, Accord (older one) have plastic fogs that are the same size and same mounting holes. I might do that when my current set cracks.

·
Honda4Ever
7,580 Posts
muevelonyc said:
I did that last year and found it actually melted into the foglight housings. :(

I found that the OEM CRX, Accord (older one) have plastic fogs that are the same size and same mounting holes. I might do that when my current set cracks.
What year Muev?

·
700p LTR TWS .308
19,493 Posts
my car is 2002, I did it in December of 2002. I had to replace everything since the mesh melted right in

·
700p LTR TWS .308
19,493 Posts
oh wait... The 2003 CRX, 1999 Accord 4 door or earilier I believe. I need to ask Andrew.

·
Registered
5 Posts
:firemad: My RSX is two weeks old and I already have one broken fog light lens... YUCK... I thought they were made of lexon or something that at least would last beyond two weeks... The dealer told me that it would be $150.00 for a new light assembly... that sucks major...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts