Votes: 9 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 25.0%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone who likes how the running lights on the IS300 look, might like this. This is the way I chose to do my city lights. Do what will with it.

Enjoy!! :thumbsup:

The link is a zip file below.

·
Retired
13,573 Posts
No worky.

It won't let me view the file.

·
old member
963 Posts
city lights are old school, but i have to admit they still look good... i'd prefer a blue/purple color...

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
geogerf said:
city lights are old school, but i have to admit they still look good... i'd prefer a blue/purple color...
Yes I did that on my old Accord. I was going for consistantcy in light color red interior/exterior.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TrustRSX said:
Thanks for the nice write-up!

However, I'm not giving up high beams.
I drive in the city most of the time, but sometimes I do highway driving. That is why I keep the high beam lights in my car. If I need them (turnpike, highway) I can pull over and put them in. Nothing is done in this DIY that disables the use of the high beam permanently. The plug is still there and functional. Just switch them out as needed.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
s8n said:
I dont understand. What is the purpose of city lights?
There is no perticular function beyond looks. Just like there is no pupose to bright white lights, JDM style headlamps, or JDM rear wing. Its all for looks.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Looks cool. When do they come on? Are they on with the parking lights? Are there only two bulbs there?

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
dyonysys said:

I drive in the city most of the time, but sometimes I do highway driving. That is why I keep the high beam lights in my car. If I need them (turnpike, highway) I can pull over and put them in. Nothing is done in this DIY that disables the use of the high beam permanently. The plug is still there and functional. Just switch them out as needed.

Well, it's just an extra step. Granted the high beams are easy to change, it's a hassle.

Don't they make a kit that allows you to install the light underneath the existing bulb?

·
Registered
979 Posts
U need to shave ur head lamp jousing ?i dont wanna mess with that ?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Whoa just thought of something I like the way the rsx looks with the hi beams on and low beams on but u cant drive like that but ah u could do this mod and use piaa platinum whites or something. itll look like u got 4 lites on and would be legal since its not colored. hmmmm thnx for the DIY i mite add the white lights if u dont need to shave the housing

·
old member
963 Posts
dyonysys said:

wait a second, wait a second! sorry if i didn't read the DIY instructions, but i thought these were installed like city lights back in the day - especially since you said you did it to your accord... anyway, you SWAP the bulbs out of your high beams? that would be a hassle to keep swapping them in and out...

the cars that had city lights back in the day (my friends from high school) just wired a whole new bulb into the housing so that you couldn't see it and so that you could have all your lights: low, high, and a switch in your dash for the citys... hmm, i guess that was old school!! but if i had city lights, i would do it that way... :cool:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
TrustRSX said:

Well, it's just an extra step. Granted the high beams are easy to change, it's a hassle.

Don't they make a kit that allows you to install the light underneath the existing bulb?
Yeah, not too much hassle since I would only have use for them like once every 2-3 mo. Even on the highway there are always other cars coming. Thats jsut me tho. I will go that xtra step to make my car look different than the rest in town.

I am not aware of a kit like this for the H1 bulb. There is no room for anything else to penetrate the cavity. I mean, I had to shave a bit off the opening just to fit the little 168/194 bulb in. That is small.

You can tell on the pic. below there is no room to add to the H1 opening. That hole to the side is a vent and I don't believe it is open to the back of the housing. I wouldn't want to close off a vent either. Keeps moisture out.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
I do not understand what u have to change when u have city lites if they are a third bulb. Then just wire them with an other switch/relay & put a switch in the opening under the steering column. I have a secound relay & switch for DRL using the OEM fogs but still have them fully functional as designed.

·
old member
963 Posts
yeah, thats what i was saying earlier...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts