Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

141 - 150 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
^^not sure where you live but working with fiberglass in colder temperatures isnt good because it takes so much longer to set and ultimately will affect the quality of your piece..optimal temp is 55+
yeah, this is true.... i did mine in the cold... it turned out just fine but dry time took a ridiculous amount of time.

·
RIP Guru
6,583 Posts
yeah, this is true.... i did mine in the cold... it turned out just fine but dry time took a ridiculous amount of time.
How cold was it when you did yours? Its about 40-45 degrees Fahrenheit in MD. I was thinking of getting a couple of coats done outside just so it takes shape and finishing the rest of the coats inside.

Also, I know there was a link posted to purchase fiberglass mat online but could I buy this at a local store such as Home Depot, Lowes, etc?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
How cold was it when you did yours? Its about 40-45 degrees Fahrenheit in MD. I was thinking of getting a couple of coats done outside just so it takes shape and finishing the rest of the coats inside.

Also, I know there was a link posted to purchase fiberglass mat online but could I buy this at a local store such as Home Depot, Lowes, etc?
it was probably colder than that when i did mine lol... just put a little more hardener.

yeah you can buy cloth/mat about anywhere... wal mart sells it for like $5 a pack

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
yeah i learned from doing pieces in the fall/winter it can take a good 6-12 hours longer to fully set..plus your hands can get cold as anything...also be sure not to work after its rained as water/moisture can be bad for your project as well

·
Extra medium
162 Posts
I'm working on mine currently, just got the second layer of the mold done yesterday. Going to go lay another layer now...

·
Come at me bro!
1,070 Posts
Great job with your enclosure!!! I have my 15" Kicker that I am planning on doing this to... Just hope it looks as good as this :)

141 - 150 of 150 Posts