Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 259 Posts

·
i haz gold plated diapers
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
**IF YOU DO NOT FEEL COMFORTABLE DISCONNECTING CABLES AND CLIPS AND WHAT NOT, PLLEAASEE LEAVE YOUR DASH THE WAY IT IS. IF YOU DONT KNOW HOW TO REMOVE THE PARTS NEEDED TO REMOVE DO NOT TRY THIS, YOU WILL END BREAKING SOMETHING**

service manual for 02-04 borrowed from k20a.org, just print pages 1033-1037 and whatever else you dont know how to remove, just scroll up from page 1033 ... http://downloads.hondatech.info/Auto/Manuals/RSX/Ab0VE.Acura RSX (02-03) Service Manual.zip

I have been wanting to contribute to Clubrsx for a while, so here we go. i hope this helps out many since i havn't seen one done, so this is for the people wanting to do the tan to black interior swap, for people who want to repaint or for whoever wants to relocate their k-pros for theivery purposes lol or just for the hell of it.

*if you need any help or questions feel free to ask, i have no problem helping a fellow member, pm me, ill get back as soon as i can to answer*

i removed the dashboard, removed the cover off the beam and put the cover back on my own beam.
tools needed:
-screw driver(a short stub, regular one, optional:12 inch one if removing the dash cover)
-flat head
-rachet wrench(will add socket numbers, im assuming 8mm,10mm and 14mm)
-t-30 Torx bit for the steering wheel airbag and ground screw by the shifter
-pliers for those hard to take out clips

things that should be removed before the process:
-*NEGATIVE BATTERY TERMINAL, BECAUSE YOU WILL BE REMOVING SRS PLUGS, SO WAIT ABOUT 15MINUTES AFTER DISCONNECTING THE BATTERY
-seats
-fusebox cover and steering rack cover
-a-pillars
-steering wheel and steering rack
-steering wheel covers
-cluster
-glove box
-passenger side airbag
-ecu cover
-a/c controls optional, unless its also being swapped
-radio and dash kit
-center console
(the pic speaks for itself on what has to be removed, even though the second pic thats me putting the cover on my old beem lol but you see whats removed)

alright lets get this started, here are the location of the clips that need to get disconnected, make sure they are disconnected so that you are able to pull without getting stuck looking for whats still connected.

*there is also two yellow plugs on the left side from the srs component you have to disconnect behind these plugs in the center in the bottom pic(second pic is the way it looks)*

this is located when laying down facing up at the dash to your right-->>

(ill have more pics of other things also, like i said contact me if anything)

locations of the 7 bolts that need to get undone

driver side

center console area
left side

right side

passenger door

then with the help of 3, 2 people lift out while the 3rd person makes sure cables aren't being pulled, heres the end result

**update after this coming soon** PM for any further steps

·
Low Flying Whore Ron
1,001,868 Posts
How long did it take to remove once you had removed the below items?
-seats
-steering wheel covers
-cluster
-glove box
-passenger side airbag
-ecu cover
-radio and dash kit
-center console
(the pic speaks for itself, even though thats me putting the cover on my old beem lol but you see whats removed)

·
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
How long did it take to remove once you had removed the below items?
-seats
-steering wheel covers
-cluster
-glove box
-passenger side airbag
-ecu cover
-radio and dash kit
-center console
(the pic speaks for itself, even though thats me putting the cover on my old beem lol but you see whats removed)

removing all those parts would take between an hour to 2 hours, to remove the clips, bolts and dash took about 2-4 hours and remove the dash itself from the beam would take less than an hour. it took me from 10 in the morning to about 11 at night, but that was with taking breaks, eating and waiting for a 12 inch screwdriver(which took about 2 hours of my time waiting for my girl)

disconnecting wires and clips was the biggest PITA though, thats what really takes up your time, memorizing and getting your hand in those hard to reach places or positions

i removed peices little by little during my work days while the car was warming up so that when saturday came all i had to do was steering wheel and rack, cluster, and radio area.

·
06 PWP Type-S
1,265 Posts
This is what I need, thanks a lot!!!!!!!
it seems harder than I thought but I'm still gonna do my interior swap :)

waiting for the rest of DIY

·
RULER OF ALL THAT DWELLS
157 Posts
Beautyfull writeup, bookmarked!

·
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thank you dc5prime for this DIY, you helped me a lot :thumbsup:

no problem, nothing better than helping out a fellow crsxer love their car all over again lol

·
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
there is a much easier way! y did u take the dash frame out?
i didnt know there was a easier way lol but if your refering to removing the face of the dash from the frame, i had to becuase the donor dash was rusted and bent in spots that needed to be straight(like where the bottom bolts onto), had the radio harness cut, and couple other wires cut, therefore i didnt want to rewire or swap over dash harnesses, so i just kept my harness and beam and swapped the dash covers

·
06 PWP Type-S
1,265 Posts

·
over rated
11,658 Posts
i didnt know there was a easier way lol but if your refering to removing the face of the dash from the frame, i had to becuase the donor dash was rusted and bent in spots that needed to be straight(like where the bottom bolts onto), had the radio harness cut, and couple other wires cut, therefore i didnt want to rewire or swap over dash harnesses, so i just kept my harness and beam and swapped the dash covers
yes just remove all the screws that hold the face of the dash on and leave the metal frame/wiring harness in the car bolted in.

pics of my swap:

·
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yes just remove all the screws that hold the face of the dash on and leave the metal frame/wiring harness in the car bolted in.

pics of my swap:

you know i actually thought of that, but when i had the whole thing out i wondered if it could be done from the inside, because theres 2 hard to reach screws from the center that i needed to use an extended screwdriver to reach

1 - 20 of 259 Posts