Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

241 - 259 of 259 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
going to be doing this again in a few months :fuu:

anyone want a tan dash. i think the worst part of this diy is the fact that you'll have a ton of tan parts sitting for years that no one wants :lawl:
This is facts lol. Do you have any updated pic or know how to remove the skin only without taking the frame as well

·
booty inspector
2,640 Posts
You can do it two ways. If you remove the dash support bar, you'll have to remove the steering column and disconnect all the terminals for the dash harness and remove 3 bolts on the driver side dash bar and 2 bolts for the center console and 2 bolts on the passenger side and the whole dash support comes out with the dash cover attached. If you remove the 7 screws in the pictures above, you can remove just the dash cover.

·
Registered
229 Posts
You can do it two ways. If you remove the dash support bar, you'll have to remove the steering column and disconnect all the terminals for the dash harness and remove 3 bolts on the driver side dash bar and 2 bolts for the center console and 2 bolts on the passenger side and the whole dash support comes out with the dash cover attached. If you remove the 7 screws in the pictures above, you can remove just the dash cover.
In order to get to those screws the heads for them are on the opposite side of the way the dash faces right? I was trying to remove one from the junkyard to test it before I did my own, to no success

·
booty inspector
2,640 Posts
In order to get to those screws the heads for them are on the opposite side of the way the dash faces right? I was trying to remove one from the junkyard to test it before I did my own, to no success
You're going to need a mini ratchet and a lot of time. I took the seats out of my car so I could get to all the screws easier. The slower you go the less you'll get cut by the sharp edges inside the dash. I got all screws out without a cut in a about 5 hours. My arms were a little sore afterwards from ratcheting in tight awkward angles.

I got a mini ratchet similar to this one
https://www.amazon.com/Chapman-Midget-Ratchet-ratchet-CM-13/dp/B00FVYLJ8W

·
Registered
229 Posts
You're going to need a mini ratchet and a lot of time. I took the seats out of my car so I could get to all the screws easier. The slower you go the less you'll get cut by the sharp edges inside the dash. I got all screws out without a cut in a about 5 hours. My arms were a little sore afterwards from ratcheting in tight awkward angles.

I got a mini ratchet similar to this one
https://www.amazon.com/Chapman-Midget-Ratchet-ratchet-CM-13/dp/B00FVYLJ8W
I have big hand's so I might as well take the whole.beam off

·
Mugennnnnn!
9,638 Posts
Fun fact. I've lost the ability for the remote to unlock my doors. Power door locks still work from the inside door panel switch. Any thoughts? I pulled my dash, stripped some wires, removed the sunlight sensor, and apparently Ive either taken out a needed wire or forgot to plug something back in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you have pics?
i just finished swapping my dash this weekend without pulling out everything.

i just removed my dash cover from the metal brace by removing all the screws that hold the cover to the bar from the inside.

IT WAS A BITCH AND IT TOOK ME ALL DAY.

But I'm glad I did it that way. I don't think I saved myself any time, but I didn't have to pull the whole dash harness out so I was happy about that. 👍

In my case I DID NOT just rip the dash out but that last screw by the passenger air vent was also my last one, and it was the hardest... You have to remove the vent from the inside and you can just barely see the screw in that upper corner. Took me about 30 min and someone else's help.

Tools you will absolutely need:

1. A very trusty ratchet that is super small. My ratchet was approximately 5in tall.

2. A socket that you can attach a phillips head screw bit into. (odds are the bit will keep slipping out so get a piece of paper or fiber from the foam pads under your rsx's carpet and place a little in the socket to keep the bit from sliding out.

3. A thin 8-10 in. extension for the socket. (I remember using this only once.

4. SMALL HANDS! I'm all cut up! My hands are average size I guess. I'm 5'9" 155 pounds.

5. Patience. I didn't rip my dash out at the end, but I wanted to! 😆

Lastly, if you do rip your dash out, don't worry about it. The majority of the silver screws I pulled, I did not put back. You're not going to get those hard to reach ones back in there... They're harder to put back.

SO. Every screw that was a major mounting point - like 8 of em (and easily accessible or semi accessible, I put back in) and my dash is just as secure, and actually doesn't rattle as much as it used to, so I'm happy! Prolly had like 10 screws I did not put back in on the underside of the dash...

Not sure if that advice helps you, but it can be done!

241 - 259 of 259 Posts