Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Glen
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since it is impossible to fit bigger than a 2" pipe in this section of my car:

I decided to step it up a notch and notch some of my exhaust out for good reason... Building a manual exhaust cut out valve.

Tools you need:
Cutting Torch
Mig Welder

Parts needed:
Pipe (i used 2.5")
2 flanges *or one solid flange and a whole flange*
1 exhaust gasket

Step 1)
mark of the area that you want to put the exhaust cut out:

Step 2)
Take a small piece of flange and cut it at about a 30 degree angle and weld it to a flange:

Step 3)
double check your marks and cut a whole in the pipe where you want to place the Cutout:

Step 4)
Weld it up:

Step 5)
Add Some studs:

Step 6)
Cap it off:

·
Projectors....Mmmmmm
2,271 Posts
what is the point of this ?? and where did you get those flanges for the pipes?

·
Glen
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what is the point of this ?? and where did you get those flanges for the pipes?
since i cant fit bigger than a 2" pipe under my car, and thats a 2.5" cut out, now i can have a better flow and boost more.. not to mention this is for track use only...

·
Glen
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's not really going to make any difference at all. It doesn't matter because your exhaust is only as big as it's smallest point. So either way, that doesn't help you.
I have a JRRH.. last i checked it was 2.5" out... and thats the same size as my cut out... now my 2.5 going to a 2" is called a BOTTLE NECK which is my current set up.

·
Random Laos Guy
1,443 Posts
Nice write up!
Exhaust Cut Out: Straight-out-of-the-manifold performance. Exhaust cut-outs install ahead of your muffler. Dump the exhaust when you want performance. Route it back through the muffler and pipes when you need to stay street-legal.

Here is a Dyno Max one

·
AF Photography™
12,519 Posts
Nice write up!
Exhaust Cut Out: Straight-out-of-the-manifold performance. Exhaust cut-outs install ahead of your muffler. Dump the exhaust when you want performance. Route it back through the muffler and pipes when you need to stay street-legal.

Here is a Dyno Max one
Wait...im still lost. I have never heard of this. What does it do. Performance? Also what do you mean by dump the exhaust? and route it back through the muffler and pipes? Also how much HP are we talking about?

·
Registered
332 Posts
thats nice but its not INSTANTly opented.... use a butterfly valve from a throttle body and BAM! Look at mine.

And for the guy up top, the more free flowing ure exhaust the more peak hp u get... this kinda cutout will let the exhaust go out to the side, not having to go thru the muffer and all that. u do lose a lot of response on the lower power band though, but not if ure turboed...

·
Garrett T3/T60-1...BOOST!
3,335 Posts
thats nice but its not INSTANTly opented.... use a butterfly valve from a throttle body and BAM! Look at mine.

And for the guy up top, the more free flowing ure exhaust the more peak hp u get... this kinda cutout will let the exhaust go out to the side, not having to go thru the muffer and all that. u do lose a lot of response on the lower power band though, but not if ure turboed...
now that is some tight sizzzznit:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
FREEdom isn't FREE.
2,446 Posts

:rotfl:

I'm sorry, that is the FIRST time I have ever seen someone use a throttle body like that!

+rep for doing that though!

When you guys do cutouts, do them the right way....QTP cutouts work great.

·
Registered
332 Posts
hahah yea, it could look at lot cleaner but eh, it was for my civic. and for the guy who asked, it does matter what diameter the throttle is.. cuz if you're NA i doubt u'd want a 3in cutout like mine...

And the QTP ones are great cuz they're the only guys who have the motor/servo that doesnt get f*ed up with heat, but beacuse of that, they charge up the ass... besides the motor, its nothing but a butterfly valve...

·
DC5 Turbo
166 Posts
i have a 2.5" DMH cut out for sale for 150 shipped, barnd new if anyone wants it, its in the market forum!!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
wouldn't you want the cutout after the primary 02 sensor so your ecu can still get a accurate 02 reading and your car runs fine?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.