Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
OG Base Crew
4,118 Posts
I finished this up yesterday on a Type-S cluster. I went with blue and the result was similar to jermaine713s' picture a few posts above. Very happy with the outcome I'll add my own picture later.

Also if anyone is interested I would be willing to do this mod for them to their requested color (as long as the LED's exist) for a pretty reasonable price. If anyone is interested PM me. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
What are you guys using to add the color with white LEDs like the pics above? I am wanting to do something similar and got some red cellophane, but it isn't coming out as dark as I want it.

·
K20 WOT
817 Posts
What are you guys using to add the color with white LEDs like the pics above? I am wanting to do something similar and got some red cellophane, but it isn't coming out as dark as I want it.
Try a red sharpie

·
Registered
700 Posts
I did this years ago and contributed to the original thread. I figured I would move my step-by-step pictures over here...

Begin with the gauge cluster...

Remove (2) screws on the top of the cluster to remove the front cover

Front cover removed

Removed needles

Peel off insert of gauges

Remove the (8) screws from the back panel, and remove the back cover

Label the top of each of the motor mechanisms - I chose to number them 1-4 at the top of each

Removing the 2 screws for each of the mechanical mechanisms the motors are removed, as well as the clear LED dispersion panel, and the white cover panel

Remove the Odometer display

Relative size of the LEDs to a dime...

·
Registered
700 Posts
Back of needle w/ ring

Plastic welds on back of needle were broken (purposely)

Needle section removed

Clear plastic needle removed from holder

Red color painted onto the back of the clear plastic needle ... I sanded this off with 400-grit

Put back together after red paint removed

Testing gauges to ensure everything works properly before putting everything completely back together. I also used my AVIC-D3 to check accuracy of the speedometer.

·
K20 WOT
817 Posts
Well since he bumped this, what type of lights are the green LEDs? Plcc-4? And anyone know where I can get purple ones?
This is what I bought and used for my swap:

I bought:
40 EA3528VGC-Z (needed 36)
20 E7104SGC (14 needed)
14 470ohm Resistors (7 needed)
10 330ohm Resistors (3 needed)

I wanted to get extra incase i lost/broke/etc some of them, which did happen.

All in all, that only cost me like, $24.00

This is a breakdown of what I figured I for the whole project, resistors and LEDs:

Resistors
Main Gauges 1 470ohm 1/2w $0.14 $0.14
Hvac Cluster 2 330ohm 1/4w $0.05 $0.11

Acc. Panel
Cruise 2 470ohm 1/2w $0.14 $0.28
Roof 1 330ohm 1/4w $0.05 $0.05

What I figured i'd need for LEDs,broken down:

LEDS
Main Gauges 30 EA3528VGC-Z $0.54/ ea
Hvac Panel 7 E7104SGC $0.09
Door Buttons 4 EA3528VGC-Z $0.54
Ignition Courtesy Light 2 EA3528VGC-Z $0.54

Acc. Panel
Crusie 2 E7104SGC $0.09
Roof 2 E7104SGC $0.09
opt. 1
Fog 2 E7104SGC $0.09
Mirror 2 E7104SGC $0.09
opt 1 470ohm 1/2w $0.14 $0.14
Fog 2 470ohm 1/2w $0.14 $0.28
Mirror 1 470ohm 1/2w $0.14 $0.14

·
Registered
66 Posts
Is there anyone in the South West Florida area that can do this set up for me. I really want to do a Monster theme on the inside of my car. So I'm looking to get my dash lights in all lime green. I would do it myself but that's not my domain. I'm mostly a under the hood guy. I already painted my calipers and valve cover lime green.

·
K20 WOT
817 Posts
I'm looking to do this, my only concern is can I screw up the dash soldering or removing the LEDs? Or is it pretty tough to do so?
It not really difficult - if you've ever done soldering before, this is pretty easy.

It's tedious, however...

I bought a 2nd shitty cluster to practice on and take apart before tearing into mine, which i'm glad i did.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Bump

I've been using Imageshack for hosting my web images for years. I found that a number of the pictures in this thread and been 'lost' from their servers, and they've recently moved to a paid subscription for use. That said, I just moved all of the pictures I had linked in this thread over to Photobucket and updated the links.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts