Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Because STIGCAR
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This DIY is for converting your existing garage door opener into one like this:

Note: this DIY does not involve wiring into the hi-beams nor to the car's power supply. If you want to do these things it is more than possible and I wish you the best.

First and foremost, this is only a guide and all associated risks are your own. I did this without taking pictures in the process so I have used some of my own pictures as well as stock photos from the internet.

That being said, this is a relatively easy project. The hardest part is soldering on a circuit board. If you are not comfortable doing this have someone who is do it for you. This DIY has the to potential to ruin your opener if you are not careful.

List of supplies:

-Garage door opener (already programmed and working)
-Soldering iron
-Rosin-core solder
-Pushbutton momentary switch (available at RadioShack)
-Some thin stranded wire (~20 gauge)
-Wire strippers/cutters
-Electrical tape or heat shrink tubing if you’re feeling special.
-Flat head screwdriver
-Electric drill
-¼ inch and ½ inch drill bits (smaller bits may be required for some parts)

Now, there are numerous garage door opener designs with any number of buttons, but fear not they all work pretty much the same. For this example we will be working with a three button remote.

First take out the circuit board from your garage door opener casing. Be careful not to damage the case, as you will use it again.

Now, find the programmed button that opens your garage door. Take a piece of wire and touch two of the contact points on the programmed switch. Find the right combination of two contact points and your door should activate. Once you are sure of the right combination, solder some length of wire (~2 feet) onto each contact point. Make sure the wires or solder joints do not touch each other.

Next drill out an opening in the side of the opener casing so that the wires can pass through. You might need to make this quite large. Once you can fit it back in, wires and all, close up the casing and set it aside.

Now. Find a suitable location for your switch. The empty fog light slot is best in my opinion, but you can put it almost anywhere. Use a protected flathead screwdriver to pry out the panel. Disconnect the mirror control, cruise control, and moon roof wires from the panel. You should be able to slide out the empty slot easily.

Take the slot cover and mark where you want the switch button to be. Drill a pilot hole with the ¼ inch bit and then make it the right size with the ½ inch bit. Now fit the button into the hole. Note: you will need to cut out some of the back plastic to secure the ring and get a good fit. Just don’t cut off the top and bottom mounting tabs. Once that's done, slide the new switch assembly back into the panel.

Now solder the wires from your remote to your switch and cover the ends with electrical tape.

Take wires coming from the remote and tape them so there will not be stress on the solder joints if the wire gets pulled.

Take off the panel underneath the steering wheel and run the remote down to the floor.

There is a sort of pillow lining on this panel that you can tuck the remote under.

Reinstall the lower panel and reconnect all of the power accessories (cruise, roof, mirrors) to their switches.

You’re done. Enjoy!

-Stig

·
BECAUSE! racecar...
4,220 Posts
Pretty nice man. With engine mounts my garage opener started vibrating on my visor. Plan on doin this. Anyone know if i can get a garage opener programmed to fit this one so in case i mess it up i have a back up.

·
Fix it 'til it's broken
12,041 Posts
Probably one of the best and most creative DIY projects I've seen in a while, props to you.

Gonna have to take a look at this since I'll have more garage time w/the colder weather.

·
Registered
158 Posts
why have i never thought of this? girlfreinds uncle did this to his z4 bmw and he thinks its the greatest thing since sliced bread

·
SEND EMAIL, NO PM!
9,078 Posts
nice job

we have a DIY for this already, but it can't hurt to have more!

·
Banned
8,132 Posts
wish I saw this sooner because my TRAY tab is loosey goosey from all the use from opening and closing for my door opener.

but thanks for the write up, I did it today and I love it thanks!

·
WE GOT DEBRIS!
6,949 Posts
that is awesome! Is there any way of doing this w/o having to drill into the blank panel?

·
Because STIGCAR
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
that is awesome! Is there any way of doing this w/o having to drill into the blank panel?

Well, you do have to drill in order to mount the switch. Where is really up to you...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts