Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
I am the Redout Guy!
160,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
More Pictures on Page 3, Post #52; page 4, post #84

Background
I was looking around for a decent place to put a set of gauges and I could not find any mounting locations that I liked. A pillar is just way to ricey IMO and the cigarette lighter mount is too low and is only good if you’re short, can barely see over the steering wheel and can actually see that gauge ( I am not tall by any means and airing on the side of shortness and that spot is even too low for me). The mount on the dash column looked like a good idea if you have ONE gauge but I would like to have more then that.

This gauge pod works for 2 1/16" gauges. Not sure if the 2 5/8" gauges would fit here.

Materials
- Climate Control Face Place
- Exacto Knife
- Wire (~25ft of 18gauge Wire)
- Wire Strippers
- Zip Ties
- Shrink Tube ( I used the one made for 18-22gauge wire)
- Electrical Tape
- Dremel
- Sandpaper
- Solder

Part 1 - Gauge Pod Setup

I started by ordering a climate control face plate from someone on another forum for $20. If you can't find one, order one by clicking here; its part number 79550-S6M-A41ZA or number 2 in the picture

Then remove the climate control panel from the car. Sorry but I do not have a picture of this step. I marked the places where you can find tabs. Remove the harnass for the A/C.

Then you need to get your self an exacto knife, sandpaper and a dremel. I do not own a dremel so I had to resort to a small hand saw. Start off by marking the locations of where the gauge mounts will be going. Then cut as close to the line as you can with out going over. Next use the exacto knife to remove more plastic then sand paper to finish it off. Test fit it with the gauge. You want it to be snug to hold the gauge in.

Then Sand down the excess.

Repeat for the other two holes.

Part 2 - Electrical!

Be Prepared to spend some time here, extending this harnass took me a hour and a half because I wanted to make sure I did this right.

Now comes the Tricky Part, extending the climate control harness. This is only necessary if you need the climate control panel. If the rsx is your track car for some reason :confused: , this is probably not necessary.

Start by measuring out a length of wire around a foot long. Next cut ONE wire ( Why One? It makes it easier to keep track of the color matching of the wires. On a side note, if you insist on just cutting the green part off, I would highly recommend you cut the wires ONE by ONE to prevent the connections from briding causing a short) from the harnass, strip the ends and then add in the length of wire. I would recommend that you solder it.

Repeat this for the rest of the harnass, untill you end up with something that looks like this.

·
I am the Redout Guy!
160,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
To Control this mess of wires, I zip tied the ends, and then just wrapped electrical tape around it to control this nest of wires. Then I ran it down into the glove box as seen below.

Reattach the A/C Control. Start off by doing a diagnostic test on the climate control unit to ensure you didn't mess anything up.

To complete a diagnostic test, as taken from helms manual:
1. Turn the ignition switch off
2. Turn the fan switch off, turn the temperature dial to max cool (60 degrees), and the mode control dial to vent ( Where the air only comes out the vent)
3. Turn the ignition switch ON (ll),then press and hold the recirculation control switch. Within lO seconds while
holding the switch down, press the rear window defogger switch five times. The recirculation indicator blinks
two times and the A'C indicator comes on, then the self-diagnosis will begin. About 15 seconds later, the self diagnosis will finish and the A'C indicator goes off. lf there is any problem in the system after finishes the self diagnosis, the recirculation indicator will blink the Diagnostic Trouble Code{ DTC)1 through 13. When problems in the evaporator temperature sensor circuit are detected ( codes 14 and t5), the A'C indicator will blink the DTC. lf no DTCS are found, the indicator will not blink.

I would rate this install a 2 out of 10. Its easy but time consuming. Please +Rep for me if you like this or find this useful :)

Total Cost for me $40 for the panel, wire, sandpaper and shrink tube.

I might be willing to make people these gauge pods for a small price. PM me to talk about it if your interested.

More Pictures

3rd gauge coming soon. It didn't come in intime to for me to put it in.

Asides:
1. Next up is going to be a custom fiberglass climate control plate for the glove box. Or special panel for the cigarette lighter.
2. If you have a shift light, this would be a perfect time to mount it in the air vent.
3. I might end up selling some type of harnass extender that simply plugs into your existing A/C Harnass that way you do not have to cut anything.

·
I am the Redout Guy!
160,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can you post a picture of where the HVAC Controls are now. Thanks.

-Mateo
Ahhh even mateo took notice of this! :)
I moved it to the glove box. I am gonna be doing some fiber glassing for a panel instead of just leaving it hanging in there. I live in socal so the weather isn't bad at all and I don't use my climate control unit very often. Another spot I was thinking of moving it to was the panel with the cigarette lighter. That is going to come in the future and I will post up pictures when i find the final resting place of this climate control panel.

·
no longer moderate
5,145 Posts
Ahhh even mateo took notice of this! :)
I moved it to the glove box. I am gonna be doing some fiber glassing for a panel instead of just leaving it hanging in there. I live in socal so the weather isn't bad at all and I don't use my climate control unit very often. Another spot I was thinking of moving it to was the panel with the cigarette lighter. That is going to come in the future and I will post up pictures when i find the final resting place of this climate control panel.

Before you do that. Look to Honda's parts bin to see if one of the other HVAC controlers might just plug right in. I like a few of them even the insite's might work. One knob or something.

-Mateo

·
I am the Redout Guy!
160,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe even the s2000 control might run it.
That sounds like a really good idea. I would love to convert to a digital control unit like in the honda Odyessy.

·
I am the Redout Guy!
160,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
nice job, not for me as I use my HVAC daily here in the heat of S. FL, but a good job no the less :thumbsup:

Are you going to add a 3rd guage & a vent or just leave those big holes there ?

Check Cp
Haha the third gauge was suppose to be at my house on friday but it never arrived. I hope it comes in today so I can install it in the 3rd hole.

The vent is still there... It still works.

I will try and get a picture from the driver perspective.

·
Hondaphile
350 Posts
That's pretty rad dude. Good DIY!

I'd just have to find a near-OEM spot to put the climate control panel first before I decided to do this.

·
Love ///My new car
2,725 Posts
I was already planning on doing this, I have a back up hvac surround piece that I was gunna do just this. Great job and rep for taking the time to post it. don't worry about everyone that can't read, I know you'll get a third guage. its the perfect place to put the guages imo.

although if you make a custom fiber glass piece for the controls, I suggest mounting them off the bottom of the CD player sort of blocking the cigarette lighter visually but not physically. that's where I'd relocate mine.

rep for life

Mike

·
no longer moderate
5,145 Posts
Yeah I want to see a photo at night to see the full effect,,,You got to figure out a trick way to run the HVAC controls to make it real nice.

-Mateo

1 - 20 of 111 Posts