Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
no longer blown ;(
6,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i decided to make this simple diy after reading a thread about another member charging people to do this claiming it required "special tooling". it is really a very simple fix that will only take you a few minutes at most.

you will be bending the bars on the latch in the direction of the red arrows.

get a pair of pliers and grab the vertical bar where the blue arrows are pointing and bend back slightly. roughly about 1-2 millimeters then do the same to the other side

next grab the bottom bar where the gray arrows are pointing and bend up again about 1-2 millimeters and repeat on the other side.

now test that it still closes because if you bent it to much it will not close, but just enough and with a little slam it will latch and sit very firmly.

i did this yesterday and rattles are gone and as you can see it sits all the way up. i actually might have bent it a tad to much cause it sits a tiny bit higher than the rest but i am going to leave it this way because it cant move at all and no moving means no vibrating

ps sorry i suck at paint and dont know ps but you get the idea.

pss i also attached the pics full size incase you need to see a bigger version

·
Registered
378 Posts
Not all rsx's are made the same, some rsx's will have a much more serious hang of the glove box on the latch which will require "more bending back of the latch." If you really want a clean flush look, you'll have to bend it a good 4-6mm and if that's the case you'll have to modify the light switch so that it doesnt interfer with the door closing. So it's not just simply bending the latch a mm or so, especially for the 02-04 rsx's. And for those who are going to try this, "do not" and i repeat "do not" try bending the latch while it is still intact to the glovebox. There is a high chance that you will wear the screws that are holding the latch or even possibly breaking it off. Be professional about it and take it off first. As for the DIY above, it does not apply to all rsx's. You made it sound so easy and you only figured it out in 6.5 seconds.

·
no longer blown ;(
6,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info. but i can tell you i did the same thing on my buddies 03 when i installed his cd changer in his glove box, and believe me, with that thing in his glove box it sagged way down, and i still only bent his as much as i did mine and it held it up just as snuggly.

·
Rz
484 Posts
ohhh~~ i had same problem~~ i just bought a 03 type s few weeks ago, i was tryin to go to dealer to get it fix~~ since i get the certificated warrenty? gotta try it tom

·
Si-> Type S-> R Type-> MR
3,100 Posts
It was my 03 he put the MP3 cd changer in and it is perfect. I would have to agree with Dom 100% I had a little sag before the changer went in. I can't imagine what the extra weight did. Now it is nice and flush. Maybe this won't work all the time but on mine it fits like it should have from the factory and with it locked it is nice and tight. So in my personal experience I will say Dom knows what he is talking about.

BTW thanks again Dom I never knew you took the extra step, I really owe you a beer now.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Not all rsx's are made the same, some rsx's will have a much more serious hang of the glove box on the latch which will require "more bending back of the latch." If you really want a clean flush look, you'll have to bend it a good 4-6mm and if that's the case you'll have to modify the light switch so that it doesnt interfer with the door closing. So it's not just simply bending the latch a mm or so, especially for the 02-04 rsx's. And for those who are going to try this, "do not" and i repeat "do not" try bending the latch while it is still intact to the glovebox. There is a high chance that you will wear the screws that are holding the latch or even possibly breaking it off. Be professional about it and take it off first. As for the DIY above, it does not apply to all rsx's. You made it sound so easy and you only figured it out in 6.5 seconds.
I am gonna try it when inside. read another thread, they said np, n looks like it fixed his prob too.

·
Registered
565 Posts
tried doing it... worked temporarily seemed like... but its coming back... doesnt seem to be too permanent. Bend it more? Don't want it to bust. Anyone w experience on this got any feedback to give maybe?

·
RSX Offroad Crew
451 Posts
Thanks TS for posting this... I did a really half-assed job of this fix with my bare hands today, and it's already a big improvement.

To everyone: Take TS's advice and USE PLIERS!

·
Si-> Type S-> R Type-> MR
3,100 Posts
Just an update 4= years later and it is still not sagging

1 - 20 of 27 Posts