Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I made a JDM shift boot cuz I was bored and tired of my shift knob and boot looking weird. I used a valve cover washer and a couple tools. It was pretty easy and took my like 15 min. The boot now rests in the perfect position and looks a lot cleaner. I didn't do this because I wanna claim I have a jdm shift boot. It just happened to look like it and it cost me almost nothing. Great DIY if you got the tools and a spare valve cover washer.

Materials needed:
1 valve cover washer ($5 at the dealer!)
1 drill
1 step drill bit
1 clamp
Super glue

Step 1: remove dash piece and take off shifter.

Step 2: remove chrome/plastic piece off the boot.

Step 3: take the Valve cover washer, clamp and clamp the washer to a wooden board. Make sure the washer is facing up otherwise the drilled metal will look weird and you'll ruin it.

Step 4: using the step drill but, slowly drill into the center until it is just big enough to fit over the shifter. These are before and after pics. Not exactly sure on the size hole I just drilled it till
It fit.

Test fit. See how it goes right up to the point where it flares out more.

Step 5: take the super glue and apply a small amount to the rubber piece where the washer will go. Apply the washer and let dry. Make sure you put it on accurately and that it's lined up otherwise good luck getting it off.

Step 6: install everything back again and enjoy your homemade "JDM" shift boot.

Lemme know what you guys think! Hope you guys enjoy it!

Disclaimer: not claiming to be a genuine jdm shift boot. Just a really easy and cheap solution and looks like it.

·
Balance means everything
145 Posts
I like your idea and great write up. However can the super glue endure heat? I think using soldering iron might be better to put the valve cover washer and shit boot together. just my 0.02.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You know I'm not sure. It's just what was available to me at the time. May e an epoxy would be even better but it just came to me last night and took me 20 min to do so I won't complain. Does super glue not hold up well in heat? Would the solder burn through the rubber? I can update as time goes with how well it holds up. Also called Honda and found out how much just one washer is. $5 is all. Updated original post.

·
Typical New Yorker
106 Posts
dude! saving me $80 bucks that i was ready to spend on an OEM one but now i can spend it on coilovers. a+ im doing this this week!!!!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dude! saving me $80 bucks that i was ready to spend on an OEM one but now i can spend it on coilovers. a+ im doing this this week!!!!!!
Exactly! I totally agree with doing something like this cuz now you can spend it on something like coilovers! im glad! Please post pics when you get it done. I wanna see how it works out for other people.

·
Typical New Yorker
106 Posts
Exactly! I totally agree with doing something like this cuz now you can spend it on something like coilovers! im glad! Please post pics when you get it done. I wanna see how it works out for other people.
will do. im gunna see about polishing it so it looks OEM. check my build thread in the show off section and ill get to it this week!

·
Typical New Yorker
106 Posts
tried it out, no luck. super glue got on the washer, boot after pressing together. even if that worked out perfectly, came apart in 10 minutes. just gunna shell out the money for a OEM one

·
Balance means everything
145 Posts
Nah don't do it, just go on eBay and buy an adapter, $10 and works perfectly for me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Really?! Mine has been on there for a week or two now. No problems at all. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. Please don't knock it. I had a couple extra so I made it for a friend and it worked great.

·
Typical New Yorker
106 Posts
Really?! Mine has been on there for a week or two now. No problems at all. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. Please don't knock it. I had a couple extra so I made it for a friend and it worked great.
not kncking it bud, i just had bad luck. i bet if i took the time/effort i coulda made it work. but im such a perfectionist that i'd rather just get the real deal. A+ for being the first person to make a DIY tho !

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i agree. but i just cant see myself paying $90 for a shift boot. has anyone done it yet? no pics? am i the only one...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Where you see those prices? I sold the spare one I had for 50 bucks in excellent shape because that's what I saw them go for on ephatch. I feel it was fair on both ends.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
$90 for new ones on ebay. $50 used is still good but.... $5 a drill and some super glue was awesome for me.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Mine was slightly different but same idea. It wasn't my idea either. I'm going with a leather shift boot in a few weeks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I did this mod without issue. I took the rubber grommet from the washer and put it inside the shift boot and then put my shifter bolt on the thread tightened down. then put the shifter boot together and the force of the shift knob and shift knob nut sandwiching the rubber grommet makes it nice and tight. I also used super glue to hold the washer to the boot, but with the added clamping force I don't see it going anywhere even if the glue gives way. I'll see in the summer!! Best 5 bux i spent lol

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did this mod without issue. I took the rubber grommet from the washer and put it inside the shift boot and then put my shifter bolt on the thread tightened down. then put the shifter boot together and the force of the shift knob and shift knob nut sandwiching the rubber grommet makes it nice and tight. I also used super glue to hold the washer to the boot, but with the added clamping force I don't see it going anywhere even if the glue gives way. I'll see in the summer!! Best 5 bux i spent lol
Pics? Glad to hear it. Mine is holding up just fine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts