Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a request for pics and a breakdown of how I installed an amp and sub to my stock RSX-S Bose system. I did this a while ago, so I’m doing my best to remember everything I did. Here we go:

1. Ran the power wire for the amp through the firewall hole behind the glove box. Here’s a pic of the wire going through with a red arrow pointing at it(majority of the wire has a black plastic cover so it might not be as obvious).

And if you were like me and didn’t know about those cabin filters behind the glove box, you might find this: http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=350079&highlight=mouse+glove+box

2. Next I found a location for my ground (brown) wire right behind the back seats under the carpet.

3. Here’s a pic of my aftermarket amp. I’ll explain all the wires next.

4. Here’s a pic of the power wire (going into Remote), the lead wire (going into +12V) and the ground wire (GND). I’ll show later where the lead wire goes.

*EDIT* If you read on to the second page of this thread, you'll see that someone noticed that the power wire and the lead wire were switched around. The power wire should be going to the +12v and the lead should be going to the Remote. It was weird how my sub and amp worked perfectly fine with the wires in either slot, but I changed them to the correct slots.

More to follow...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
5. Here’s a pic of the speaker wires (Left and Right) that go to the back of the sub box.

6. Here’s a pic of the inputs. I believed I just used some spare speaker wire for this. I used some orange tape on both ends to distinguish which wires were which. These wires will go into the connectors that originally plugged into the back of the stock Bose sub. I’ll show pics of that next.

7. Here are 2 pics of those wires coming from the inputs on the aftermarket amp plugged into the green and red wires coming from the stock amp (these used to be plugged into the stock Bose sub). I had to put connector ends on the black speaker wires to connect to the green and red wires. For back reference, I originally had the orange tape on two black wires going to the red wires so I knew which wires were which.

Almost done...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
8. Next, I took that lead wire (blue) coming from the aftermarket amp and tapped into the lead wire (orange) coming off the stock amp.

9. Lastly, I screwed the amp into the back of the seat, tucked all the wires away, and drove away thumpin’!!!

I adjusted the settings on my amp so that I could get the perfect balance of great bass at +5 on the headunit and the least amount of bass at -5.

Hope this helps anyone considering doing this. I think it sounds great. I’m sure it’s not the same as having a new headunit and speakers with a sub, but it’s pretty damn good!

·
Da hulk can hold a rack
1,212 Posts
Why don't you just buy an aftermarket head unit?
thats what i was going to do, but is the bose system compatible w/ aftermarket head unit???b/c i know if you get an aftermarket head unit it will sound alot more crisp, and clear...

·
Random Laos Guy
1,443 Posts
+Rep! sweet write up, been scared to do this because I didnt know how haha

·
X-Box Tag: bjsecoy
1,244 Posts
I had the bose setup. I trashed it and went with alpine head unit, polk/momo sub, kicker amps, polk/momo 6x9's, and blaupunkt speakers. I haven't missed the bose system at all. The best part is I picked up the cable to hook up my PSP and IPOD through the stereo. So now I see no reason to get satelite radio anymore.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
holy shit thats pretty damn awesome.. i would pay you to do this for me and i bet a bunch of others would too.. + rep.
It's pretty straight forward. My boy and I did this in about 2 hours. That includes preparing the wires, adding the connectors, running the power wire, etc. We've been able to most car stereo type installs with no problems, but I'm no car electronics guru by any means. Thanks for the rep!!

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Hey man this is AWESOME.

My buddy just gave me a sub and amp when he got all new shit (then a week later we went to the mall for an hour and a half and it all got stolen including his ipod).

I had been looking for something like this for a while but could not find it. I really want to keep my car as stock as possible but this would be awesome.

My question is:

How clean does this keep the engine bay with the power cord going in there? Any pics of this to reference?

Thanks!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey man this is AWESOME.

My buddy just gave me a sub and amp when he got all new shit (then a week later we went to the mall for an hour and a half and it all got stolen including his ipod).

I had been looking for something like this for a while but could not find it. I really want to keep my car as stock as possible but this would be awesome.

My question is:

How clean does this keep the engine bay with the power cord going in there? Any pics of this to reference?

Thanks!
The engine bay still has a clean look, although mine is literally dirty as hell. It sucks that the battery is on the opposite side of the firewall cause that makes the power cord have to go across the entire engine bay. Not sure if there is an entry point on the driver's side, but the side I used was easier to access. Once I covered most of the cord with a black plastic cover, it is barely noticeable. I put red arrows indicating the power wire. I basically taped it to existing wires, and ran it along the back of the engine bay to the firewall.

1 - 20 of 203 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.