Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

141 - 157 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
This is Dark Titanium yea? I'm having a rough time finding a tan one, so has anyone used this color carpet? Want to go red but I'm worried this will turn out maroon lol

·
Registered
133 Posts
Anyone tried dying a black carpet ?? Or spraying one
You'll likely have a hard time getting anything to take to a black carpet but black. I'm iffy about trying the Dark Titanium I have but black pretty much won't work unless it's really faded or you can remove the color somwhow.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Rare tan carpets..

I'm in the same spot as some of the other people who have posted, I can't find a light titanium (or dark for that matter) carpet anywhere near me in Savannah... Closest one was 4+ hours away and doesn't seem to be in very good condition. Beyond that it was in the 1,000 mile range

What are people's thoughts on taking a black carpet and soaking it in a diluted bleach bath before or after a full degrease and cleaning, then either RIT dying or dupli spraying? Theoretically the bleach would lighten it up enough to take the color, but I worry about damaging the carpet as a whole and potentially about bleaching it too light and having trouble holding the color long term... :dontknow:

·
Certified Ziptie Tech
419 Posts
I'm in the same spot as some of the other people who have posted, I can't find a light titanium (or dark for that matter) carpet anywhere near me in Savannah... Closest one was 4+ hours away and doesn't seem to be in very good condition. Beyond that it was in the 1,000 mile range

What are people's thoughts on taking a black carpet and soaking it in a diluted bleach bath before or after a full degrease and cleaning, then either RIT dying or dupli spraying? Theoretically the bleach would lighten it up enough to take the color, but I worry about damaging the carpet as a whole and potentially about bleaching it too light and having trouble holding the color long term... :dontknow:
Similar to my idea... I'm going to fill a spray bottle with diluted bleach. Spray it on heavy, let sit, blot w/ rags, repeat until faded. This way the integrity of the carpet shouldn't be harmed (or at least not as much as a full soak). Im also going to clean the hell out of it and lightly shampoo before I dye it. I plan on getting a dye wash and maybe a coat of spray after aswell.. No point to pull the carpet and try this unless you go balls to the walls IMO.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Similar to my idea... I'm going to fill a spray bottle with diluted bleach. Spray it on heavy, let sit, blot w/ rags, repeat until faded. This way the integrity of the carpet shouldn't be harmed (or at least not as much as a full soak). Im also going to clean the hell out of it and lightly shampoo before I dye it. I plan on getting a dye wash and maybe a coat of spray after aswell.. No point to pull the carpet and try this unless you go balls to the walls IMO.
That's a good idea. The main thing I was worried about with bleaching was damaging the carpet as a whole, since it's hard enough to find a replacement as is. I don't see why it wouldn't work if the carpet can be lightened to the point where it takes the die well.

I'd love to hear about/see the results you get from the bleach spray technique. I plan on attempting this project when the cooler months come, so depending on the outcome of yours I'll ether do the same or try something else.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
That's a good idea. The main thing I was worried about with bleaching was damaging the carpet as a whole, since it's hard enough to find a replacement as is. I don't see why it wouldn't work if the carpet can be lightened to the point where it takes the die well.

I'd love to hear about/see the results you get from the bleach spray technique. I plan on attempting this project when the cooler months come, so depending on the outcome of yours I'll ether do the same or try something else.
Just so you all know... JDM Black is a color too. So why not keep that?

·
Certified Ziptie Tech
419 Posts

I was planning on doing mine this winter when I'm driving the beater haha... I will post up how it goes though...

Just so you all know... JDM Black is a color too. So why not keep that?
Because it's my car and I like the look of it... :dontknow:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was planning on doing mine this winter when I'm driving the beater haha... I will post up how it goes though...
I think my impatience has gotten the best of me haha - I'm going to test it on my floor mats next weekend. Figure that's a low enough risk trial, can always get new mats easier than the whole carpet. Where I am "winter" means it's 60F instead of 100F outside, no snow or beaters for me, so no better time than the present :hb:

I'll post pics and details of how it goes.

·
Certified Ziptie Tech
419 Posts
I think my impatience has gotten the best of me haha - I'm going to test it on my floor mats next weekend. Figure that's a low enough risk trial, can always get new mats easier than the whole carpet. Where I am "winter" means it's 60F instead of 100F outside, no snow or beaters for me, so no better time than the present :hb:

I'll post pics and details of how it goes.
Salt in the wound hahaha... Yeah man I'm down for results.. If you're brave test the different methods on each different mat and see how they hold up :thumbsup:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Salt in the wound hahaha... Yeah man I'm down for results.. If you're brave test the different methods on each different mat and see how they hold up :thumbsup:
Haha literally salt man ;)
I can't imagine having to drive cars in that condition, basically criminal!

I didn't get a chance to jump on this over the weekend, keepin up the house took most of my time. But I'm gonna see if I can get my hands on some dye this week and try it out next weekend.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ive been meaning to post pics of my red DIY carpet, installed in my car.

I havnt noticed any flaking like Spaz said, but I do notice beige fibers showing up from moving around on the carpet installing it. No big deal though, I still have a half a can left and just touch it up where it need be.
Are those type r door panels? If so how does the red carpet match with the red of the door panels?

·
sCrEwEd.BoOsT.ShE.sCrEeMz
377 Posts
Are those type r door panels? If so how does the red carpet match with the red of the door panels?
No they are not authentic dc5r door panels, but the ones you buy on ebay. They match very well to the DIY red carpet imo. I have switched my carpet to authentic red dc5r, and now they don't match as good lol. The panels are to red, but whatever not that big of deal. Hope that helps, and sorry for late reply, as i am not active on the site anymore. Cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
just finished this diy. Really easy if you can find the tan carpet. I got lucky and found carpet and back hatch mat for $10.

141 - 157 of 157 Posts