Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
RED DRAGONS!!!
11,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally they are complete, Do It Yourself JDM headlight housings with that touch of bronze just like the real ones have. Why not buy the real thing? Because they are aimed differently from the US versions so you will blind oncoming traffic and even more so with an HID kit.

I opted to purchase new headlamp housings from www.acurapartspro.com so I could take my time and not have to worry about snow filling the front of my car while it sat outside without headlights or a front bumper. I also ordered a Phillips 6000K HID kit from www.HID-online.com which will go on in the spring too.

Now on with the DIY.

The first thing I did was find the proper shade of bronze to have for a base coat. Since I work at a hardware store I have access to an assload of different colors and brands. I knew that once I found the bronze I could cover it with a transparent black to give it a black with a bronze hue look. So here are the items you will need and model numbers.

1 can Rust-Oleum Dark Bronze Metallic #7272-830
1 can Rust-Oleum Plastic Primer #209460
2 cans Testors Model Master Transparent Black Window Tint #2949
2 cans Testors Model Masters Clear Gloss Top Coat #2936
1 Quart or Pint Paint Thinner
2 sheets 220 grit sandpaper
2 sheets 400 grit sandpaper
2 sheets 600 grit sandpaper
1 roll masking tape (depending on method)
1 pack fine steel wool

Start by removing your headlamp housings from your car just like every other DIY shows you.

Place the housings in the oven, one at a time, for about 20 min at 200 degrees. Take them out and pull them apart at the smaller corner first, you have to pull hard, it doesnt hurt to get pissed at it and really pull on it eventually it will seperate. Once its apart there is one screw at the bottom of the chrome housing that holds it to the lense, take the screw out and pull out the chrome piece. Now remove all of your amber reflectors and the clear parking lamp piece from the chrome housing. You can choose to mask off the reflective areas where the amber pieces were if you want but I like how they look painted better, its up to you.

Sand as much of the chrome off the plastic as you can with the 220 grit sandpaper, the areas that you cant get to try to make them as non-glossy as you can, steel wool may work good. Go over the area you just did with the 400 grit sandpaper and then finally with the 600 grit to make it smooth so no sand lines will be visible through the paint.

Wash the sanded pieces with TAP WATER ONLY, NO SOAP and allow them to dry for a couple of hours. Next with the paint thinner wipe down the bare plastic and let it dry for 10 minutes. Mask off areas you dont want painted and spray the Plastic primer over the entire housing, make sure its a thin even coat. Let it dry.

Once the primer is dry spray on the Dark Bronze Metallic, I gave it two coats. It will be a dull finish when its dry.

Now the tricky part. Wait about 3 hours after the bronze has dried and apply a coat of Transparent Black. You may want to take it easy because it likes to run. Try to be as even as possible with coats. You can see the bronze through the black so its hard to judge how much you put on.

Another angle.

I sprayed about 2 coats of Transparent Black on, to me it looked a little too dark but when you get it in the sun light its perfect. This picture is after 2 coats.

Now spray the Clear Top Coat on once the black has had a few hours to dry. This is where you will notice the bronze become more visible. All clearcoats have a very light yellow hue to them, almost un-noticeable, when you put about three coats of clear over the black it makes it very glossy and it enhances the look of the bronze. :thumbsup:

And there you have it, it looks black but has some touches of bronze up close and is very glossy. Let it fully dry, reassemble the headlamp and you are ready to roll.

I dont have a picture of it back together yet or on my car, I have to wait until the snow melts and it warms up. But its not too far away.

·
Stunnahood Co-Founder
2,531 Posts
Great Job! Want to do mine? Ha just kidding. Post those pics on the car as soon as you can.
-Tony

·
Registered
20 Posts
that looks good
very good
i did that to my civic back when i had it
except i used a black/bronxe paint that was made by a local paint shop, it was high temp and looked so good in the sun i will have to see if i can find the pictures

·
one.4our.3hree
9,128 Posts
nice!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
they turned out very good. just need that shot in the sun

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
very clean looking... can't wait to see them on the car and in the sun.

·
one.4our.3hree
9,128 Posts
do u have pics of when u put em back together?

·
RED DRAGONS!!!
11,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I havent put them back together yet because I am still trying to decide if I should leave them this color or repaint them flat black, I don't know what the hell I want to do.

BluRSXtypeS that thing in the circle is a reflection of the light that was in the room, they are very frickin' glossy.

I will have to wait until the weekend to get a pic because I leave for work before the sun rises and I get home in the dark, so be patient I am working on it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
i would like to know how you put the headlights back together so they do not fog up.

·
RED DRAGONS!!!
11,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I took another look at them today, I guess I will leave them the way they are. I have to leave them apart so the paint can fully cure so I wont scratch them up putting them back together. Plus I have to make sure my HID bulbs will have enough clearance in the housing in case I have to modify anything. Maybe this weekend I will put them back together and get a picture.

joey-When I do put them back together I am going to remove all of the adhesive that was on the housings and replace it with a GE Silicone, that way they will be just about air tight.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts