Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
The quAlity of the key cover is the same as the OEM ones, as for fitting the H cover it's a direct fit BUT at the base of the ebay key it's flare out abit which make it wider. The cover for the civic is narrower so you will have to sand it down to make it wider at the base.
Ya i guess I can sand it down. Before I go ahead and buy it... We are talking about a ebay key like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-06-NEW-ACURA-RSX-ALLin1-TRANSPONDER-CHIP-KEY-REMOTE-KEYLESS-ENTRY-CLICKER-FOB-/281081700728?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid=222001&algo=SIC.CURRENT&ao=1&asc=11&meid=6407992168693215967&pid=100011&prg=1005&rk=1&sd=281058605136&

and a cover like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-HONDA-Type-R-Key-cover-Red-H-CR-V-FD2-FD3-JDM-Accord-Crosstour-Ridgeline-/290690255154?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43ae7d4932&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
65 Posts
Okay boys and girls here are the things you'll need for this DIY:
1. Your current RSX key
2. Dremel
3. A copy of your RSX key (NOT an Acura made copy with chip)
4. Honda Accord 4 button key fob (this key uses the same fcc id as the RSX remote)
5. Honda Pilot 3 button key fob shell
6. JDM Honda key fob back cover
7. Dremel
8. JB-Weld
9. New battery
10. Time

First you'll need to buy a Honda JDM key fob back, and then an 04-07 Honda Accord 4 button key fob and as well as a Honda Pilot 3 button key fob shell. I bought all my parts on Ebay.

When the postal man drops them off you'll take a trip to any old key shop and have them make you a copy of your current Acura key. Use your fob to pick a key that'll work with the fob. You'll be hacking this key up. Then head to your local selling everything and pick up some jb weld. Oh, you'll also need dremel tool so borrow one from a friend if you don't won one.

Dremel time, go to town on the key you use to start your RSX. Inside this key is the little immobilizer chip that allows you to start your car. You'll need that little pita. This was the hardest part of it all only because the dremel I had was the weak sauce model. The chip is triangular in shape.

Okay now take your FRESHLY cut Acura key copy, you will need to cut/hack/modify this key up in a way that you will be able to JB-Weld it into your new Honda Pilot 3 button key fob shell. I used the dremel for this part as well.

Next take out the internals of your 4 button Honda Accord fob. Remove the internals and get yourself to the rubber button cover. Cut out the trunk button section of rubber and re-assemble the internals.

Back to the dremel. Cut out the current key on the Pilot 3 button key fob shell. You'll literally be just hacking through plastic. once you get the key out, clean up any left over plastic in that area of the fob in preparation for your modified Acura key to make a new home out of it.

Swap the freshly modified Accord 4 button internals to the Pilot 3 button shell. Everything should fit nicely. Now position your hacked up Acura key inside the fob. My Acura key was a little wider then the original key from the Accord was so I needed to widen that area up on my Pilot fob and JDM back to fit the new key in. Get things look purrty. Last thing you position will be the immobilizer chip you removed earlier in the DIY.

Time to get your JB Weld on. Get the JDM Honda back and start to JB Weld everything together make sure you have enough to keep everything together once it's cured. The JB Weld doesn't take too long to set. It will become putty like this will be your last chance to make any fine adjustments to how it all fits together (this key fob DIY is most likely not going to allow you to re-open it once everything cures) Keep pressure on the entire assembled fob for at least 10 minutes. This is IMPORTANT! The packaging on the JB-Weld will say it takes 5 minutes to cure. Mine took longer. It will vary for everyone. Final cure is achieved in I believe 5 hours.

BAM, your effin done :fyea:

ITR 3 button key fob.

OH oh and I almost forgot, the Ebay key fobs battery is no bueno mine died after one week, get an Energizer or something. I was lucky and was able to open my fob up without destroying it.

Programing Instructions for your new 3 button key:

Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
Within 1 to 4 sec. , push the transmitter lock or unlock button with the transmitter aimed at the receiver under the audio unit.
Within 1 to 4 sec. , turn the ignition switch OFF.
Within 1 to 4 sec. , turn the ignition switch ON (II).
Within 1 to 4 sec. , push the transmitter lock or unlock button with the transmitter aimed at the receiver under the audio unit.
Within 4 sec. , turn the ignition switch ON (II).
Within 4 sec. , turn the ignition switch ON (II).
Confirm you can hear the sound of the door lock actuators. Within 1 to 4 sec., push the transmitter lock or unlock button again.
Within 10 sec. , aim the remaining transmitters (up to two additional ones) whose codes you want to store at the receiver, and press the transmitter lock or unlock buttons. Confirm that you can hear the sound of the door lock actuators after each transmitter code is stored.
Turn the ignition switch OFF, and pull out the key.
Confirm proper operation of the transmitters.

Everyting all put together

can you provide the links to the items that are required to make the fob. also how much would you charge to assemble it.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Go to heeltoe.com I think google it, they sell a precut Honda rsx key. It looks well done professionally Im gonna get one next week.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Here is my.honda key

It snapped last night

Im looking at replacing it.only with oem items. So far i ca
N only find online the oem 2 button with panic button available.

All i have to do is just put in my current key and immobiliser into this new shell and it all should work right? also will the panic button work too?

·
Bobalife
1,201 Posts
So I've been talking with Marcus down at Heeltoeauto about milling a blank Honda, 2 button key (no trunk unlock) for the RSX and he has finally made a batch! What they do is take the OEM Honda black key and mill out the template so that we can cut it for the RSX. Also the key F.O.B. is also the same frequency as the RSX. So all you have the key cut, program the FOB, and transfer the transponder chip or have the dealership program it. The other thing it that you can send in your key to Heeltoeauto and they will do the conversion for you for an extra charge. I have ordered mine and will post pics when I am finished with the conversion. Here's a link to the key and you can pm me and questions or email Marcus at heeltoeauto.
http://www.heeltoeauto.com/product.php?productid=70845
I am in no way affiliated with Heeltoeauto, just trying to spread the word on a awesome product.

·
2006 RSX Modded
3 Posts
Bumping a 4 year old thread to post the link to this DIY's HD pictures since photobucket compresses the shit out of them and watermarks them if you view them more than once.

https://imgur.com/a/yknwfCj

Doing this DIY this weekend. Want to be able to look back at these pictures. If you still check the forums, thanks for the guide dude.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
To anyone who's done this successfully, where do you mount the Rsx immobilizer (triangle shaped rubber piece with "light bulb shaped chip inside)? Do I remove it from the rubber triangle housing and replace the existing immobilizer from keyfob? thanks in advance,

81 - 98 of 98 Posts