Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
keep it coming.
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a Revo short shifter with a Skunk2 shift knob, but never felt like changing the boot. I saw the Crown Royal bags as shifters and was originally going to do that, but I went to the East Coast Honda Meet and saw quite a few of those. So I ended up making one myself!

I went looking for some fabric to use and decided to go with digital camo. It's simple, cool as hell, and it's something I haven't seen before. I wanted to go for something different and unique. You can use any fabric you want!
I bought a third of a yard of each, to make one of each color. You can get it from most craft stores, but this came from Joann's. I payed around $5 dollars for the fabric I used.

First, pop the piece off that holds your shift boot and take the staples out with some needle nose pliers.

Second, take the boot off and turn it inside out. Take a piece of paper and a pencil and get a general estimate of where the seams are for each triangle that makes up the boot. For this I put a piece of paper over top of it and kind of scribbled over the seams so where the pencil marks were lighter where the seams were. There are 4 triangles, but be careful because the sides are the same, but the front and back triangles are both different! (Mom was tracing while I took the picture. lol thanks Mom!) MAKE SURE TO LABEL THEM!

Cut out the outlines to use as stencils!

Place the stencils on the back of your fabric and trace them onto it. Remember to label!

Cut! (there's 8 triangles here because I made 2 shift boots)

Lay the pieces so where the sides with design are facing each other. Use straight pins to hold the pieces together.

It looks funny, but these are all the pieces pinned together at the corners.

Now sew down the edges of the two where you pinned them together. Do that for each corner. I can't thank my mom and sister enough for teaching me how to sew in order to do this!

Now turn it back right side in, trim any excess string that you have and put the tabs back in the plastic piece. This part can be a real pain, but have patience! It will work!

I ended up using some florist wire to feed through the holes that the staples made. I was going for something like a twist tie.

Push them through the holes (pliers are your best friend here), push them through your fabric, and then back through another hole. Then twist like a twist tie! This part doesn't have to be as neat because nobody sees this haha.

Flip it over and admire!

The narrow part up near the shift knob should stay put on its own, but you could always use a zip tie or something to keep it up. It stays pretty well for me!

If you need any help, comment or PM me. Also, I wouldn't mind doing one for you for a few bucks, you can even pick the fabric!

Enjoy your new homemade shift boot!

·
keep it coming.
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahh red wouldn't be bad! That's the awesome thing about this shift boot is that I can make another one out of any design I want haha.

And thanks for the feedback!

·
I Hate Honda's
1,118 Posts
I was going to make my own with black suede, and a double red stitch pattern since my current black suede one is worn and looking beat.

·
keep it coming.
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Go for it man! It only takes a couple hours and it's less $5. If you don't like it, you can just switch back to your leather one haha.

If you do end up doing one, post a picture!

·
Registered
67 Posts
was thinking of doing a grey digi camo just never got around to it. How much would you charge to make one since you have the stencils and everything already?:thumbsup::beerchug:

·
keep it coming.
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
was thinking of doing a grey digi camo just never got around to it. How much would you charge to make one since you have the stencils and everything already?:thumbsup::beerchug:
Maybe $30 shipped? Oh, and if you like it, you gotta show some of your buds lol. I don't mind doing them; they're kinda fun! PM me if you're serious lol.

edit: Looking at pricing on other boots, how about $20?

·
keep it coming.
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@batmanDC5 Do it man! If you do, post pics, I'd love to see!

@JeremyPA I'd make you one for $20. I'm actually talking to I<3DC5 (posted earlier on this thread) about making one. If you're interested, PM me.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

1 - 20 of 94 Posts