Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
One with the Universe
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I first complained about that beeping noise that occurs every time you turn on the car without first putting on your seatbelt in this thread.

I decided to do something about it without sacrificing anything in the rest of the SRS. According to my local dealership, the speaker/beeper cannot be disabled without negatively affecting the SRS. Whether that's really true or whether they were saying that because they're just lazy, I don't know. But I don't want to take chances with safety features.

So I did the next best thing; I muffled the speaker. This, of course, means I also muffled the "you left your lights on, asshole" and the "OMG DON'T LEAVE YOUR KEY IN THE IGNITION WITH TEH DOOR OPEN LOL" sounds, but I can live with that. Can you? If so, follow along!

1. Take out the black fuse panel below the steering column by twisting the two plactic clips that secure it. If you need a pic for this, stop here and go blog about your day at the mall or something.

2. Remove the following three screws from the other panel below the steering wheel:

3. Remove said panel and the one above it.

The top part just comes right off. You'll need to loosen the tilt-steering lever to take off the bottom part. While you're at it, lower the steering wheel to its lowest position.

4. Get under there and take out the two screws that secure your guage cluster to the dash.

5. Push the guage cluster out from the back. Do not pull on it.

6. There are two wiring harnesses attached to the back of the cluster, blurrily depicted below. Remove them.

7. Ease the guage cluster completely out. It's a tight fit. You'll probably have to lower your turn signal and wiper levers and wiggle it out sideways.

8. Take a look at the back of the cluster and remove the 8 screws that have arrows jabbing them in the following picture:

9. Remove that white back panel and you will find the culprit! (blue thing)*:

10. The speaker cone/beeping mechanism is located towards the bottom of the hole in the center of the blue thing. How to silence it? Well, I noticed, while probing around, that pushing down directly on the cone in the hole greatly reduces the annoying screeching it produces. As such, I decided to ram a few toothpicks permanently up its ass, secured by super glue:

Ouch! Take that! After the superglue dried, I chopped off the exposed ends of the sticks and threw on a dollop of Liquid Nails for good measure.

As I was putting things back together, I, for no reason, decided to wrap the thing with 3M foam tape. I mean, why not?

11. Put everything back together the way you took it apart, unless you suck, in which case start randomly drilling holes in your seats.

12. Enjoy the near silence entering and exiting your vehicle! That's right, near silence, not full silence. I've very effectively muffled it, however, and most of the time I can't hear it at all due to ambient noise. But there are some times when I do hear it, that tiny, insignificant little metallic noise, at which I laugh heartily because I'm much bigger and stronger.

Of course, feel free to muffle the thing in whatever way suits you. I just used what I had lying around.

* The reason you see just a circuit board and not the rest of the guage cluster in this picture is because I took the thing apart more than I needed to in order to make sure I screwed with the right thing. An unfortunate result of this is that I put the guage needles back on incorrectly. For example, when with a full tank, my gas guage needle now sits way ahead of the "F." If someone could provide me with a picture of their guages (preferably 05-06) while the car is off, I'd greatly appreciate it. I need to see where the resting positions of the needles are. Thank you. :)

·
Registered
746 Posts
instead of all that, why don't you just put on your seat belt? :dontknow:

but other than that, nice write up :coffee:

·
One with the Universe
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
wtfhax0r
7,507 Posts
i dont get this beep that you guys speak of?
haha you must be like me and always wear a seatbelt.. i never knew this until like a week ago even though ive had my car for over 3 years. if you drive in your car without your seatbelt on the car will beep telling you to put your seatbelt on. i think it activates either after a certain amount of time or when you hit a certain speed

·
F*CK YOU
4,407 Posts
haha you must be like me and always wear a seatbelt.. i never knew this until like a week ago even though ive had my car for over 3 years. if you drive in your car without your seatbelt on the car will beep telling you to put your seatbelt on. i think it activates either after a certain amount of time or when you hit a certain speed
for reals? interesting.. lol

·
One with the Universe
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So the 02-04s don't beep along with the flashing of the seatbelt light when you start the car without first putting on your seatbelt?

·
Quien es tu Padre!
919 Posts
I thought this guy was on crack too having had my car for almost 7 years now and not knowing about a seatbelt beap. But I have an 02. whatever, seems like a lot of work for something minor. Unless of course you have a harness and that makes it go off constantly.

·
07 TL Switchblade Key Guy
3,167 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts