Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, like most people, I wanted a USB port in my car. My main objective was that it be at least halfway sturdy incase it gets bumped or a plugged in cable gets yarded on, I didn't want it to break. I also didn't want to do away with my cigarette lighter plug because I still use that as well. This worked out for me because I have an Alpine deck with a USB port on the back of the stereo, however, you could do this very same mod using a stereo without USB in the back if you got one of those cigarette port to USB port plug in things like this...

...and then use a splitter like this and then just cut one of the female ports off, and hard wire it somewhere behind your dash.

So here is the finished product.

So what your looking at is a USB "bulkhead" or "Pass-through" fitting. Female to Female. I couldn't find a male to female otherwise I would have bought that. I had to also buy a male to male USB adapter in order to be able to plug it into a standard male to female USB cable that plugs into the back of my deck.

As you can see, the fitting is threaded and has a bulkhead nut that allowed me to attach it to my shifter surround. I did purposefully mount the fitting backwards. What your looking at in the above pic is the side that should actually be sticking out, but this fitting is actually designed to have a water and dust proof cannon plug cap on it, but I think the cannon plug side with the nut on it is uglier. Also, having to screw on the nut just worked better having it mounted this way, because of the other side of the surround having a recess. I did have to grind down the flange on the fitting so that it would fit into the recess of the shifter surround, and allow me to screw the nut on. I only had to turn it down from about 1.300" to about 1.200" and I just used a grinder. I essentially made it the same diameter as the little plastic plug that normally goes there. Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i basically did the same mod. I got a dual usb normal car plug and hot glued it from the back, got a rubber grommet to make it seem much neater. (looks great) got a 12v outlet and wired it up and wired so it will only be on when it turns on. I love it and when people need a charge there it is... I ordered a s2k push button start and now the ? is do i get rid of the plug or or drill another hole to move the hazard button and put the s2k button there

1 - 2 of 2 Posts