Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
American HP!!
25,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, well after a few years of having the oil pressure gauge I finally decided to go ahead & install it. I will be mounting it on a steering column pod, instead of the A-pillar.

I would like to thank Motab & Iron Raven for their old DIY write up's which helped me out alot. They have been +repped:D

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=94056&highlight=Guage+pod
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=321101&highlight=oil+pressure+sender

But since I had not seen any new DIY threads & the pictures did not work on some of the old threads, I decided to make a new one with lots of pics :thumbsup:

OK, here we go:

First make sure you have all the right tools, such as:

- Ratchet set (1/4", 3/8", 1/2" Drive) & your going to need a 15/16" deep socket.
- Wire strippers & crimpers
- 18 gauge wire ( I had 3 15 ft rolls of diff colors)
- 12v tester
- liquid thread sealer
- All the right fittings. (BSPT<NPT, NPT<BSPT, & a 1/8" Tee)
- Stainless steel braided hose with 1/8' brass fittings. (http://www.longacreracing.com/catalo...t.asp?catid=11 )

You going to have to get some BSPT fittings in order to screw into the block where the stock oil pressure sensor is. These are the ones that I got from www.mcmaster.com

Part # 4092K11 - $7.60 ea.
Part # 4092K26 - $18.86 ea

One is a 1/8" BSTP to NPT, the other is NPT to BSTP.
Our stock sender has BSPT (British Std. Pipe Thread) while most gauges are NPT (National Pipe Thread), so we need a male BSPT with a Female NPT to screw into the block. And also a Male NPT with a Female BSPT to screw the stock sender into the Tee fitting.

Here are the fittings & gauge sender layed out:

So lets do the mechanical part first. I removed the stock strut bar & the brackets on the valve cover just to have more space to work. Find the stock oil pressure sender. It below the Vtec solenoid assemblyto the passenger side of the engine, it has a rubber boot on it with a single wire, which can be pulled straight off. Refer to the linked threads for a good description of where it is. It's fairly easy to find, but not so easy to see. I found it best to just feel my way around.

Here is where you are going to need the 15/16" deep socket, I had to run out & buy one (which I'm returning tomorrow). Using my 1/2" ratchet I removed the stock sender.

Now I strongly suggest using liquid gasket sealer on all fittings. With that said, screw the male BSPT fitting into the stock sender port.

I think this is a good time to put together the oil sender remote assembly. Screw the gauge sender into one side of the Tee fitting, the male NPT fitting to another side & the stock sender into the fitting.

Looks like this:

Now screw one end of the braided hose to the fitting you placed in the block & the other end into the last open port of the Tee fitting.

Resulting in this:

Make sure everything is tight & that you put thread sealer on everything. You dont want an oil fountain under your hood.

Dont mount the sender assembly yet, but start thinking if a place.

·
American HP!!
25,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Lets go inside & do all the wireing & stuff.

I am using a Stewart Warner Electric Oil Pressure gauge, other may vary on thier connection, but not much. Mine has 5 wire connections: Power, Ground, From Sender, & power & ground for the light (which I am using a red LED that matches our dash lights.

I ran the sender & ground to the enging via the grommet where the ECU wires pass thrugh the firewall

For gauge power I tapped into the cig lighter under the radio, since that is switched

For light power I tapped into the light above the glove box

For Ground I used a bolt up inside the top of the glove box

And I ran them all up to my steering column & thruogh the pod

·
American HP!!
25,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HOME STRETCH!!!!!

I wired up the sender & mounted it. I mounted it under my front strut bar, but you can put it wherever you want, just make sure you have enough hose. I also had to splice some wire to the stock sender cuz they werent long enough to reach its new location. I use the IM as a ground.

went back inside & I wired up the gauge, put it in the pod & made sure the light works. Finally I put all my interior panels & glove box back in.

Matches stock gauges perfectly ! :thumbsup:

Overall it took me about 4 hrs, but that was alone & taking my sweet ass time. I also had to run out & get that fucking 15/16" deep socket & I grabbed some lunch. But it was by no means a hard install.

That concludes my write up, I hope you all find it helpfull. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
I don't like you
18,158 Posts
Nice write up:thumbsup: +1

Reactions: *El Ocho Uno*

·
I am the Redout Guy!
160,221 Posts
+Rep. Wish I had seen this guide when I did mine. Biggest nightmare ever.

·
Projectors....Mmmmmm
2,271 Posts
+rep man. bout time someone did a write up on how to install an oil pressure gauge.

Reactions: *El Ocho Uno*

·
American HP!!
25,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys, I hope it helps someone, someday :thumbsup:

Smack dab in the middle lol
It's actually a little off to the left, but it sits great. In my sight line it only blocks the 9000+ Range of the tach (somewhere I dont plan on going)

·
Projectors....Mmmmmm
2,271 Posts
Hey man, got a problem. I installed everything and the needle isn't moving anywhere. It's not even at zero. It's below zero...all the way to the bottom left. Is my gauge messed up??

Here's what I did though. I have a tee attached to the block. There's two lines connected to the tee. One going to the turbo and the other is connected to another tee that has my oil pressure sender and my oil pressure sensor. I'm assuming I did this right...right?

·
American HP!!
25,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i see that you decided to keep your turbo!.. lol.. anyways.. do you have a manual or electric oil press guage? if its electric are you getting power to your guage?
That the first thing I would check, also make sure you have a good ground.

If all is good with the sender, then I would check the connection at the back of the guage.

·
Projectors....Mmmmmm
2,271 Posts
I checked the web and I had the wires to the power and sender mixed up...it's all good now.

·
Registered
224 Posts
siick i was actually wondering on how to complete this ... do u find the oil pressure useful or???

·
Projectors....Mmmmmm
2,271 Posts
Just installed it so I'll let you know how it is with my turbo setup.

·
Registered
224 Posts
sounds great, im actually very intrested in getting the cybernation stage 1 as well so let meknow how that is as well thanks

·
American HP!!
25,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
siick i was actually wondering on how to complete this ... do u find the oil pressure useful or???
Well, I have always liked keeping an eye on my oil pressure. It is the fluid of life for our engine.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts