Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
mmm....BOOST
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been looking into getting some black Slipstreams but I wasn't sure so I decided to paint my stockies to give me a close match. This took me about an hour to do. I hope you enjoy the pictures !

1] Gather up the equipment that you will use for this DIY.
-sandblaster sponge
-brake cleaner
-index cards
-rag
-Krylon Semi Flat paint (2 cans)

2] Now jack up your car and take the rims off. I did both rims at the same but you can do one by one if you feel safer having 3 wheels on rather than 2.

2a] This madsaka was a big help.

2b] SITTIN SIDEWAYZZZZ

3] Wash em down with the water hose, dry em, clean black smudges from brakes/fluids with the brake cleaner, and then sand them down to get the base coat of the rim.

4] Put the index cards around the rim so the paint doesn't get on your tires.

5] Bad weatherrrr ! Gotta take the rims in the garage to finish them up.

6] NOW PAINT AWAYYYY !! I did 2 coats of paint for each rim. I also didnt want to paint the center caps because I felt like it looked better that way then painted.

7] I let these dry in the garage and the mounted them back on.

8] After the bad weather stopped for a little, rain just came out of nowhere. Gotta protect the fresh paint.

All comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
436 Posts
at least paint your center caps to match man. it looks alright but the whole black wheels is kinda played out now...the worst decision i ever made was painting my old stockies black too. you'll regret it once it starts chipping or give or take a couple months.

·
The Vapor Unit
840 Posts
my stockies are black too love the black wheels, I dnt think it is played out every one has different rims around where I live every one loves my black wheels as do I

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
yea you gotta paint the centercaps its a must, and you may want to pick up some clear coat because without it in a couple months the enamel will start to loose its gloss and it will start looking all blotchey.

Theres my rims i painted

·
Registered
807 Posts
^^That actually looks good. I don't like flat black rims because they have too much of a cheap factor look. The gloss is nice! But good job on the DIY to the TS! And try painting those center caps :D

·
I hate my car.
6,606 Posts
Thanks for the comments.

I'm going to do the center caps soon but I just need to find some type of tape that I can put over the "A."
Fill it with some type of putty and shave it down to sit flush with the center, then spray away. Remove putty and your good to go. I dont think anyone's ever tried that. Be the first :p

·
I am the Redout Guy!
160,221 Posts
Acutally I kind of like the center caps not painted. I hate it when the centercap is painted over and there is no "A" but just black.

·
Registered
79 Posts
looks hot.....would have thought it would look more cheesy but they came out nice man, way to go

1 - 20 of 34 Posts