Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone here has painted their interior. I have all black interior except for the dash and Instead of buying a black dash for around $300. I was considering painting it. Just curious if anyone has done this and how did it turn out etc.

·
Hondaphile
350 Posts
Why would anyone want to paint their interior?

I think the RSX interior looks clean from the factory. No matter if its a base model, or a Type-S, and regardless of year. The only thing I like better is the 02-04 gauge cluster over the 05-06. Its a good thing I have an '03. :)

·
Registered
851 Posts
A few companys make interior die that is specifically meant to die dashes and fabrics that have been faded or for color change reasons. I have used it in the past on my talon to go from grey to black and it worked very well. Most auto parts stores carry it,.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
My brother has a black 2000 civic and he had a guy that works t a body shop paint hs panels red and it looks really really good, he also had to put like 3 coats on and a couple of clear coats. What I dont understand is I have a base 5 speed leather interior and all my panels and dash are balck but the front 2 panels and the headliner are grey. WTF

·
Formerly Trvotypes
7,220 Posts
there was a guy back in the day that spray painted his dash and it came out so ugly..

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ok I did this on my "old car" I used to have.

Head to Wal-mart and get the color paint you want, get Dupli-Color brand. Then you need to get clear coat and some sandable primer, as well as some clear coat. Then you need to pick up plenty of 320 grit sandpaper, some 120 grit, and then some grit sandpaper >320. (Higher the grit the finer the sandpaper is...)

1. Take off your dash, (I haven't done this on a Type-S yet...)
2. Dry sand your dash with 120 grit.
3. Brush off the dash.
4. Wet sand your dash with 320 grit.
5. Let dry and fine sand with your highest grit.
6. (Optional) Wet sand one more time with your highest grit paper.
7. Now clean off the dash.
8. Put on a layer of your sandable primer. Hold the can 6-8 inches from the dash, do even layers, and only one layer at a time. Then let dry.
9. Sand the primer once it dries LIGHTLY, with your highest grit sandpaper.
10. Apply another layer of primer and repeat step 9.
11. Repeat 10 one more time so you have a total of 3 primer layers.
12. Now do a coat of paint, same way you did with your primer. Hold the can back 6-8 inches and do even light coats. This is so there is no dripping and/or running.
13. After this paint coat dries apply a second and then a third paint coat.
**Remember, all the paint and primer coats should be put on lightly, thats why you need 3 coats of each.
14. After you paint, do 3 light coats of clear coat. Let each coat dry between applications.

If you did all this correctly it comes out awesome. Just remember that each individual coat should be LIGHT, so you don't have like half an inch of primer and paint put on your dash....lol

Good luck...

Ps: If you want to keep the texture on your dash then you won't do the sanding part. Instead you will just jump to a light primer coat and then the paint.... You have to give the paint some good time to adhere though, as well as the primer.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.