Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
O.G. '02 RSX-S
5,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Samco radiator hose replacement & radiator flush

After purchasing the Samco radiator hose kit from Options Auto, I decided to flush out the radiator at the same time.

Here is the list of the items you will need:
Samco silicon DC5 type-r hose kit
Samco stainless clamp kit (optional)
Antifreeze (I used Prestone since I will be doing radiator flushes every other year, the FSM states if you don’t use Honda fluid, the radiator could corrode/rust)
Water - distilled would be preferred, but I went with tap water since I will be doing this every other year.

Here is the tools you will need:
Floor jack
4 jack stands
Pliers - angled needlenose & regular square ended
Screwdrivers - flathead & Phillips
7mm wrench
10mm wrench
(3) 1 gallon milk containers

Step 1- jack up the car and put it up on jackstands on the jack points.

Step 2 – Remove the front bumper using the screwdrivers to pull the various screws and clips out. Next remove the lower splash guard

Step 3 – open the radiator valve on the bottom portion of the radiator by turning the knob counterclockwise. Radiator fluid is toxic, so catch as much as you can in a container for proper disposal (2) 1 gallon milk containers should be sufficient. Its optional to take off the dimple from the reservoir (left side of radiator) to drain that, the angled needlenose pliers works best.

Step 4 – close up the valve and fill the radiator with water from the garden hose. Start the car and let the water circulate through the system. Turning on the heater will help out even more. Drain the radiator again.

Step 5 – loosen up the 5 10 mm bolts holding the radiator support on the top and one 10 mm bolt on the bottom. Use the pliers to squeeze the clamps off the upper radiator hose from both the radiator and from the engine.

Step 6 – Slip the clamps on the Samco upper radiator hose and tighten the clamps on both. For the radiator hose aim the screw for the clamp so you can tighten it by inserting the screwdriver into the hole on the radiator support – this will make things easier. Use caution tightening the clamps, as most of the inlets are plastic and could be damaged with overtightening. Reinstall the 10mm bolts from the radiator support at the top and bottom.

·
O.G. '02 RSX-S
5,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Step 7 – remove the lower radiator hose clamps. This will be a major PITA removing the clamp from the water outlet on the engine. There is VERY limited access to this area, unless you want to remove the intake manifold or the radiator & condenser. I was able to reach my hand in barely and use the square end pliers to get to this. I spent about 60 minutes on the removal of this hose alone.

Step 8 – Put the clamps on the radiator hose and slip the hose on the inlet first and then on the radiator second. Be careful to put the clamp on so you can tighten with the 7mm wrench, as access is very limited.

Step 9 – Once you have both hoses on and all 4 clamps tightened, mix 50/50 ratio of antifreeze to water. Shake up the container and fill up the radiator. Re-install the radiator cap. Start the car and make sure you have no leaks.

Step 10 – Reinstall the splash guards and front bumper. Remove the jack stands from under the car, and you are done.

·
7,611 Posts
Yeah, after reading how hard it was to get the lower hose off, I'm just going to keep the new hoses I ordered on hand and wait until it starts to leak - if it ever does.

Props to you for getting it off!

Don't forget to bleed the system - start the car when it's cold, with the rad cap loosened and the heater control set to full hot. Run until the fans come on at least twice. (This is per Helms) Top up the radiator and recovery bottle as necessary.

This will bleed any air out of the sytem.

·
7,611 Posts
Oh, and I wouldn't use any brand coolant other than Honda. I may be a sucker, but they do have their own additives that may inhibit corrosion......

I just drained and refilled mine - after reading about Honda's additives, I wanted to get JiffyLube's generic coolant out of the system and replace it with Honda's.

·
Formerly Trvotypes
7,220 Posts
geez you do some awesome write ups :)

·
Da Vinci's Predecessor
56 Posts
I'm intrested in putting in an oil cooler any suggestions

·
7,611 Posts
Great DIY guide!

If I wasn't going to change the hoses. Will I still need to remove the bumper? I just want to do a simple flush and refill.
I removed the bumper to get at the damn plug for the recovery bottle. There's only a small amount of coolant in the recovery bottle, but since I was only draining and not flushing I wanted to get as much of the old stuff out as I could.

You might be able to get at the plug for the recovery bottle without removing the bumper - the Helms says only to remove the splash shield to reach the drain plug, but I couldn't get at it.

Draining the radiator doesn't require removing anything - just loosening the petcock, for which there is a nice access hole in the splash shield.

·
2,932 Posts
I work in a garage and in our books for hondas/acuras its recommended to flush the coolant out at 120k. Then depending on what kind of coolant you use (long life or not) its gonna be either 30k or another 100k

·
Registered
362 Posts
i thought the helms says to first fill up the overflow tank then to do the warm-up with the two fan cycles, then to top off the radiator up to the bottom of the filler neck

·
Don't hate the Russian
1,395 Posts
Quick question... I went to draint and refill my coolant last night...
while turning the car on and turning the heat all the way up... there was no hot air coming out, just cold air... is that normal?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts