21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Curious Gooner
3,707 Posts
Looks like it yea.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Question: On my 02 type s, when I unlock the doors, the back makes a loud buzzing noise as if something is stuck. The rear hatch locks and unlocks fine. But only when unlocking does it make the loud buzzing noise. Would this be the actuator or something else?
I'm also having this problem with my 2005 type-S. Started happening after having issues unlocking the hatch. After i unlocked it manually for the 100th time, it started making the loud buzzing sound upon locking with the key fob. Anyone else have a similar issue?? Is it the actuator?? I have a replacement on the way, and I plan on doing this DIY in hopes that t will solve the issue...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Manual Switch

My rear actuator is acting up after less than 1 year after replacement. What is odd is when I got to manually unlock it from the inside, I cannot move the white peg to the right at all...it's like it's STUCK in the locked position. I'm going to investigate tonight to see if there's something blocking it, but usually this moves from lock to unlock without any problem, right?

·
likes to troubleshoot
2,539 Posts
Props to you for this DIY! I removed my actuator without removing the whole rear trim. I just popped the four rear fasteners loose. The upper gold colored screw that fastens the actuator is easy to access through the inspection cover without removing anything but the cover. The bottom screw can be removed with a stubby philips, a right-angle screwdriver, or a pair of vice-grips without removing the trim.

I wanted to attempt to repair the actuator but I don't have a vise and I was afraid I'd stab my hand with something sharp. A new actuator is cheaper than stitches. Thanks for taking the thing apart so I don't have to! What a rube goldberg piece of garbage! No wonder they fail. I'm seeing new ones priced from $9 all the way to $155 (local dealer). I was wondering if anybody has experience with the cheaper ones. How are they holding up?

·
Curious Gooner
3,707 Posts
You will get a year out of the cheaper ones... Well I did

·
Registered
15 Posts
For the last few months, my rear door actuator has not being unlocking. It will lock fine, but not unlock. Also, my FOB no longer beeps when I press the lock button. Sounds like the issue is related. I've ordered a new actuator and will replace it once it gets in. Thanks for the write up!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought one on eBay that had good reviews and it crapped out after < 6 months. Ordered an OEM one from Bernardi, $130 shipped. Rather spend the extra $100 and avoid doing this install again...

21 - 32 of 32 Posts