Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
hi ;)
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
YOU ARE DOING THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. NEITHER MYSELF (MAXIMA02) or CLUBRSX ARE RESPONSIBLE IF ANYTHING WERE TO HAPPEN TO YOUR CAR OR YOU.

THIS DIY IS ON THE GRAVITY BLEED PROCEDURE. A 2ND PERSON IS NOT REQUIRED. THERE IS NO TOUCHING THE BRAKE PEDAL DURING THIS PROCEDURE. THIS METHOD REQUIRES MORE TIME THAN THE TRADITIONAL WAY OF REMOVING BRAKE FLUID. YOU ARE REWARDED WITH A VERY FIRM PEDAL.

MATERIALS:
1. 10mm Wrench
2. Clear Tube
3. Catch can or bin
4. battery bulb
5. dot 3 or dot4 brake fluid. I think dot 5.1 is okay too, but search because I'm unsure. (DO NOT USE DOT5)
6. jack + jackstand(s)

As per Billman250 (very skilled S2000 mechanic located in NYC region), Bleed brakes in counter-clockwise manner. start with Passenger side front, then driver's side front, then drivers side rear, then passenger side rear. Do ONE brake a time. I used his suggestions in another thread to make this diy.

Step 1: Locate Brake Fluid Reservoir and open cap. As per the diy I saw on xviper's thread, I covered the inside with newspaper but covered the fender with plastic garbage bags. It saved my paint as I saw a couple of droplets on the bags after I was done. *BRAKE FLUID EATS PAINT.*

There will be a filter when you take the cap off, remove the filter too. Take Battery Filler (red bulb in picture above) and take out as much fluid in the reservoir as possible. A member of NYC Metro on s2ki (Soul Coughing) pointed this out to me and said if you want to get the dirt/grime out from the bottom of the reservoir, top it off with brake fluid and repeat the suction procedure again. This will dilute it and minimize dirt in the top portion that can be sucked down into the lines.

Step 2: Top off reservoir with proper brake fluid. Replace filter and close cap. *BRAKE FLUID IS HYDROPHILIC SO IT WILL PULL MOISTURE FROM THE AIR and THUS LOWERING BOILING POINT OF FLUID...NOT GOOD*

Step 3: Loosen lug nuts and jack the car up. If you have four jacks and can raise the whole car at once, even better.

Step 4a: Locate and remove rubber cap on bleed screw.

Step 4b: Place wrench on drain valve and open. I turned one revolution. It will begin to bleed slowly. Make sure to keep watch on the brake fluid reservoir and do not allow fluid in there to get too low as air may get in the system. After opening, I quickly removed my wrench and placed a plastic tube over it to direct it to a waste container.

Step 5: THIS IS OPTIONAL AND DOES NOT DEAL WITH BRAKES. This is per xviper's diy on rubber boot maintanance. I had the wheels off and was playing a waiting game on the fluid to bleed out so I went ahead and did this. Click that link to learn about it.
before

after

·
hi ;)
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Step 6: WATCH the fluid that is bleeding out. You may need to remove the cap on the brake fluid reservoir and add more fluid in, I did this and it sped up the bleeding as more weight was pushing the old fluid down. When the color has changed from original to new fluid, you can stop and remove the hose. Then tighten the bleed screw and put the cap on the bleed screw back on. Dab away any excess fluid so it does not get on your wheels when you put them back on.

hard to tell the difference in these pictures but should be easier in person. I recommend ordering ATE Super Blue fluid if you have Amber or clear fluid now. If you have ATE Super Blue, then get ATE Typ 200. A lot easier to tell with two different colored fluids when the job is done. I could not find ATE locally so I went with what is pictured above. Also a good fluid.
before

after

Step 7: Move onto Driver's side Front now and repeat. Again, always keep an eye on the reservoir and fill when needed. At the very end when drivers side front has been bled, fill appropriate amount back into reservoir.

Step 8: It is AGAINST the law to dump brake fluid into a gutter or down the sink. Dispose of it properly. Check with your city or county on where you can dispose of this.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
very nice....I need to do mine once the weather clears up

·
No More Project Car Hell
28,172 Posts
nice write up but gravity bleeding is so painfully slow. If you plan on doing a fair share of brake fluid flushes I'd highly recommend a Motive Power Bleeder http://www.motiveproducts.com/02bleeders.html You can do it alone and don't need to touch the brake pedal either. :thumbsup:

Also if you use a smaller ID (1/4" IIRC) clear plastic hose you can fit it directly on the bleed nipple, allowing you to put the hose on first then attach the wrench to the bleeder screw.

Just to be on the safe side, make sure the bottom of the tube is fully submerged in water/fluid in your catch bottle, that way you're sure no air will be sucked into the line while you're bleeding :thumbsup:

·
Opakracing
4,765 Posts
nice write up but gravity bleeding is so painfully slow. If you plan on doing a fair share of brake fluid flushes I'd highly recommend a Motive Power Bleeder http://www.motiveproducts.com/02bleeders.html You can do it alone and don't need to touch the brake pedal either. :thumbsup:

Also if you use a smaller ID (1/4" IIRC) clear plastic hose you can fit it directly on the bleed nipple, allowing you to put the hose on first then attach the wrench to the bleeder screw.

Just to be on the safe side, make sure the bottom of the tube is fully submerged in water/fluid in your catch bottle, that way you're sure no air will be sucked into the line while you're bleeding :thumbsup:

which one of those power bleeders will work on my RSX?

·
No More Project Car Hell
28,172 Posts
which one of those power bleeders will work on my RSX?
I have the universal adapter and it works on my brother's rsx... I want to get a spare reservoir cover to see if it will hold pressure (it would make things easier)

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
would this method work on RSX?

the bleeding order for s2000 is different though... for RSX its driver front, passenger front, passenger rear, driver rear (clockwise)

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
thanks... just waiting till my day off to do this and new track pads too. picked up some ATE superblue :)

good to know this works with the master cylinder cap ON.. i was worried that having the cap off for 2 hours would be bad for the fluid since i read on S2ki to leave the cap off.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Question

Hello,
I googled Bleeding Brake Fluid Gravity Method and was directed here. I found this thread to be very informative, but can anyone tell me the proper sequence for bleeding my brakes on a 1978 Corvette? I don't wanna mess up! Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts