Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my ghetto job for keeping the shift boot up with an aftermarket shift knob.
Sorry about the dark pictures.

Things you'll need:
old shift collar
1/2" inside diameter grommet
3/4" inside diameter grommet
small zip ties
rubber band

Attachments

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
1. Zip tie the 1/2" grommet on the shift lever about where you see it in the picture. You can adjust it later. Make sure the zip tie is tight.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trim the 3/4" grommet as shown. It should now pop onto the top of the stock collar and stay in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Put the console back together, put the tightening bolt on the shift lever, then screw on your new shift knob. Line up the numbers on the shift knob then tighten the bolt against it to keep it from turning off center

Attachments

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can reach through the shift boot and move the 1/2" grommet up against the stock collar so everything is flush against the shift knob.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Putting the stock collar in right side up or upside down will give you a different look. I keep mine in upside down like in the previous picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Probably less than $5 for the zip ties and the 2 packs of grommets. Could be less if you can buy the grommets individually.

·
Name's Vic
14,752 Posts
oh btw for anyone who has a CAI the little piece of metal that use to hold the inlet tube has a grommet that fits perfectly in there and its really tight on the shifter arm, so basically mine was free and it works really really well to

·
Honda Sucks! Acura Rules!
785 Posts
Here's mine one.

Side up first:

Upsdie down:

·
Huh?
1,738 Posts

:laughing: :laughing: modified your grommet idea instead of covering that darned collar just decided to go without, sorry for bad pictures, 30 dollar wal-mart camera:shooting:

·
Registered
326 Posts
sorry to bring this back from the dead but....

SiFuSpEc or anyone who has done this w/o the stock collar are you still using the 3/4" grommet to put on the top? or is that a different size.

I'm going to get the type-r eventually but I can't afford it right now so i'm looking for an alternative to the collar

and i did search around for awhile but didn't find anything specifically addressing my question.

thanks

1 - 20 of 43 Posts