Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
DC5 Junkie
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I searched for side marker installs and for different wiring diagrams and never really came across anything concrete so I made my own DIY.

Things you will need:
1. a test light to know which wires are + or -
2. some wire tap connectors... like these

If you don't have type R fenders and want to learn about cutting your fenders go to this link:

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=304777

In the first diagram: This is how you wire your side marker to function only with the park lights. It will not come on when the signal or hazards are engaged.

In the second diagram: This is how you wire the side marker to function only as a turn signal/hazard light. It will not come on when the park lights are engaged.

In the third diagram: This is how you wire the side marker to function as a park light and signal light/hazard light. The side markers will come on with the park lights, signal lights and hazards.

And a video of mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNW__GMrht0

·
No Boost
311 Posts
Great write up! I actually re-wired mine about a week ago like the 3rd diagram shows and they work great. They stay lit when the parking lights are on and also blink with the turn signal/hazards. The only thing I did notice was that they don't blink in sequence with the turn signal, they blink opposite one another.

·
DC5 Junkie
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice...but I am a tad bit confused, I have never seen 2 positive leads hooked up to a light and function lol.
the reasoning behind this is the ground from the side marker goes to the positive of a light that is off there for when the light is off it acts like a ground getting its power from the park light. when the signal light comes on it reverses..

·
DC5 Junkie
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great write up! I actually re-wired mine about a week ago like the 3rd diagram shows and they work great. They stay lit when the parking lights are on and also blink with the turn signal/hazards. The only thing I did notice was that they don't blink in sequence with the turn signal, they blink opposite one another.
that's the way its supposed to be but you will notice when your park lights are off the will blink at the same time with front turn signal and with blink with the hazards also.. the only time the do the opposite is when the park lights are on.

·
DC5 Junkie
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hes using LED bulbs without resistors wired in. they are "hyperflashing", its looks like shit fix that TS
I'm not using led's and its not truly hyper flashing.. for some reason when i added the video clip to the movie maker it sped up that one clip. This is my first video and D.I.Y so I'm not sure how to edit it and slow it back to real time.. any way if you time the blinker that you have now and picture the side marker on when its off that is the actual speed. I don't have led's in any of my side markers or turn signals.

·
Super Moderator
10,733 Posts
I'm not using led's and its not truly hyper flashing.. for some reason when i added the video clip to the movie maker it sped up that one clip. This is my first video and D.I.Y so I'm not sure how to edit it and slow it back to real time.. any way if you time the blinker that you have now and picture the side marker on when its off that is the actual speed. I don't have led's in any of my side markers or turn signals.
Werd. Cuz i noticed in your video it like starts fast then slows down lol. Hyperflashing bothers me so much, good to know you did it right :thumbsup:

·
Registered
530 Posts
The third diagram/wiring diagram is completely wrong. This is why you get the hyperflash as shown in the video. You can never use the positive on anything as a ground even if it is not currently on. This transfers energy through that system and you will blow fuses and harm other electrical components. The correct way of doing this is having a dual relay system. I'm currently working on this right now.

·
DC5 Junkie
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
no its not worng and no i dont have hyper flashing... if you would have read every post above i explain that when i up loaded the video it sped that part up for some reason cause i had to compress the video to fit them all on youtube.. the diagram is right and many have used it before.. mine currently are wired up just as the last install and i have no blown fuses at all and nor do i use leds in my side markers. please read before you go bashing someone.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
The third diagram/wiring diagram is completely wrong. This is why you get the hyperflash as shown in the video. You can never use the positive on anything as a ground even if it is not currently on. This transfers energy through that system and you will blow fuses and harm other electrical components. The correct way of doing this is having a dual relay system. I'm currently working on this right now.
after reading your post and agreeing that #3 doesnt look like the "best" wiring i decided to draw up a schematic using relays... but as im sure you have seen, being as you havent posted an alternative , the problem with a dual relay system is this is doing 3 things.

1- The side markers flash with the turn signals
2- The side markers come on with the parking lights
3- The side markers flash while the parking lights and turn signals are on

This really mind fucked me for a while because i knew there had to be a "better" way. Here is what i came up with...

With 2 spst relays you can never get all three states (or at least i couldnt).
I used 3 relays, 2 NC and one NO... I know most relays have both on each but because the coil side had to be somewhere different on all three, i dont see how you could do it with less than three unless you used another kind of hardware like a micro controller or some other digital means.

So really, this seems highly impractical being as you would need 3 on eash side and im not entirely sure that the op's #3 schematic will really hurt anything... so when i put mine on, i will be using op's #3 diagram.

·
DC5 Junkie
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
after reading your post and agreeing that #3 doesnt look like the "best" wiring i decided to draw up a schematic using relays... but as im sure you have seen, being as you havent posted an alternative , the problem with a dual relay system is this is doing 3 things.

1- The side markers flash with the turn signals
2- The side markers come on with the parking lights
3- The side markers flash while the parking lights and turn signals are on

This really mind fucked me for a while because i knew there had to be a "better" way. Here is what i came up with...

With 2 spst relays you can never get all three states (or at least i couldnt).
I used 3 relays, 2 NC and one NO... I know most relays have both on each but because the coil side had to be somewhere different on all three, i dont see how you could do it with less than three unless you used another kind of hardware like a micro controller or some other digital means.

So really, this seems highly impractical being as you would need 3 on eash side and im not entirely sure that the op's #3 schematic will really hurt anything... so when i put mine on, i will be using op's #3 diagram.
nice schematic dustin. I hope that also helps for some.. i was just showing everyone simple solutions to wiring them up how ever they want. alot of people don't really understand wiring and all.. and you wouldn't believe how many people i got saying i was wrong and that they would blow fuses then only to have them to try option 3 and then say they like it and had no problems at all.
my intentions were to help everyone out

1 - 20 of 52 Posts