Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 350 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
So I'm in the middle of this project. Got the left tail off,replaced gasket and back on nice and easy. The right one not so easy. The outside screw underneath the light is rusted to hell and wont come loose after lots of wd-40 and some serious effort. Has anyone taken off the entire bracket that the light sits on? It seems like just two bolts and the whole thing would come off. I'm a little worried about getting it all aligned again if i take that off. Let me know if anyone has tried that. Otherwise either the bracket comes off or the screw gets drilled out.

·
Type-S
143 Posts
So I'm in the middle of this project. Got the left tail off,replaced gasket and back on nice and easy. The right one not so easy. The outside screw underneath the light is rusted to hell and wont come loose after lots of wd-40 and some serious effort. Has anyone taken off the entire bracket that the light sits on? It seems like just two bolts and the whole thing would come off. I'm a little worried about getting it all aligned again if i take that off. Let me know if anyone has tried that. Otherwise either the bracket comes off or the screw gets drilled out.
I just took the trusty grinder out and zipped that screw right off.
I had the same issue but on both sides.

·
At work.
2,081 Posts
drill the screw out, get a new one. i think itd be much more of a hassle to take out the entire bracket. i mean, thatd probably add a lot more time and stress onto this project.

·
Brown Member
583 Posts
this is a problem in 06's too. Found a fucking LAKE in my trunk. Gutted the whole thing and that's how it's sitting right now till I get those gaskets...

good write up btw...i'd just say gut the whole trunk to clean up the mess which includes taking the side panels off in the trunk

·
Brown Member
583 Posts
drill the screw out, get a new one. i think itd be much more of a hassle to take out the entire bracket. i mean, thatd probably add a lot more time and stress onto this project.
the bracket isn't that hard to pull out and then re align. Just takes patience. But twis is right though :thumbsup:

·
At work.
2,081 Posts
the bracket isn't that hard to pull out and then re align. Just takes patience. But twis is right though :thumbsup:
thanks man haha

Yea I think that is the one. Going to drill it out now, hopefully I can figure out what size it is and get to the hardware store. Thanks for the help.
cool glad i found it. no problem. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Thanks for the help. I was being lazy and messed up the screw so bad I couldnt get it out even with a set of screw extractors. Ended up putting it back together with only one bottom screw on the passenger screw. Can barely tell that the gap between the bumper and tailight is a little bigger than it should be on the right side, i can live with that. Other than the rust issues a very easy fix.

·
At work.
2,081 Posts
Thanks for the help. I was being lazy and messed up the screw so bad I couldnt get it out even with a set of screw extractors. Ended up putting it back together with only one bottom screw on the passenger screw. Can barely tell that the gap between the bumper and tailight is a little bigger than it should be on the right side, i can live with that. Other than the rust issues a very easy fix.
thats good. yea... small gap > large pool of nasty water in your trunk.

for sure haha.

·
Desu just kicked in desu!
121 Posts
My '05 came with the factory-installed leaks too. Fortunately, I was able to remove those lower screws without taking off the bumper. Just need a #2 Philips at the end of about 18" of extension and a lot of praying that the screws will play nice and aren't completely rusted (what I went through on my '02).

Once they come out, you might as well get some new stainless ones from the hardware store.

·
At work.
2,081 Posts
My '05 came with the factory-installed leaks too. Fortunately, I was able to remove those lower screws without taking off the bumper. Just need a #2 Philips at the end of about 18" of extension and a lot of praying that the screws will play nice and aren't completely rusted (what I went through on my '02).

Once they come out, you might as well get some new stainless ones from the hardware store.
lol factory installed leaks

·
At work.
2,081 Posts
If i live in Ontario, Canada and don't want to order online, where can i buy taillight gaskets?
only other place i can think of would be your acura dealer...but theyll cost quite a bit more than acuraoemparts.com, so i think paying shipping from there would be worth it. idk about canada though i could be wrong haha

41 - 60 of 350 Posts