Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 350 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
guess i gotta do this too... got an aquarium in my trunk too. i also am probably gonna pull the back seat out and the leather off of the seat foam to treat it for mildew. it is starting to smell. anyone got any other suggestions?

·
Banned
2,422 Posts
I did the hardcore DIY on this.. instead of replacing tail light gaskets I put some silicone gasket material all over them and bolted tail lights back on to dry.. hasn't leaked since :dontknow:

·
At work.
2,081 Posts
guess i gotta do this too... got an aquarium in my trunk too. i also am probably gonna pull the back seat out and the leather off of the seat foam to treat it for mildew. it is starting to smell. anyone got any other suggestions?
wow...well the back of my seats never got wet and smelled. the underside of my seats kind of got wet but not the backs. i guess you have the right idea about the mildew treatment but be careful not to ruin the leather i guess.

I did the hardcore DIY on this.. instead of replacing tail light gaskets I put some silicone gasket material all over them and bolted tail lights back on to dry.. hasn't leaked since :dontknow:
nice haha...what kind of silicone material? do you have pics?

·
Registered
22 Posts
wow...well the back of my seats never got wet and smelled. the underside of my seats kind of got wet but not the backs. i guess you have the right idea about the mildew treatment but be careful not to ruin the leather i guess.

the backs werent wet... just the bottom. my mistake, im just going to use a water bleach mix on the padding and allow it to set in the sun for a day or so to let the bleach evaporate out. the leather im just going to clean the best i can with an antibacterial soap and re-condition it with lexol conditioner. I am just hoping it hasnt caused the leather to deteriorate yet.

·
Banned
2,422 Posts
It was actually some all purpose sensor safe gasket material from CarQuest.. comes in a toothpaste style tube, it's very universal stuff lol.. no pics but it's very straightforward/pretty much impossible to mess up.

·
Got V-Tak?
509 Posts
Would regular clear silicone work as well? Seems like that is a better idea then buying a new gasket that leaks within a year or 2

·
IDriveRichBoyCivic HERRO
1,844 Posts
Ok so i replaced min in august, and im sure everything got sealed again. I mean come on how could your really mess up installing these. My cars new CC clutch blew outafter 2 months, (whole nother story) so its been sitting for liek the last 3-4months. and i pop the truck annnd...

with the new seals WHAT THE FUUUU!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ok so i replaced min in august, and im sure everything got sealed again. I mean come on how could your really mess up installing these. My cars new CC clutch blew outafter 2 months, (whole nother story) so its been sitting for liek the last 3-4months. and i pop the truck annnd...

yeah, that is what gets me too... mine didnt start leaking til after an accident i got in when i got run off the road and eff'd up a lot of $h!+. Basically in a nut shell, what happened was a pickup pulled out in front of me and there was a car next to me. the pickup had PVC pine hangin out the back and face level with me so rather than getting impailed in the face with pipe, i swirved off the road and ran up and over the side curb. bent a rim, eff'd up the rear struts and rear sway bar bushings, ripped out the inner passenger fender, almost completely ripping off the front bumper and mud guard and also ruined two tires and both the rear upper control arm/camber kits. i am hoping the leak is still coming from the taillights because when the painter painted, he did both querter panels and the back bumper cuz the tires pushed out the fenders and bumper so he pulled the taillights. i tried to tighten them but it is still leaking. i might try the silicone trick.:(

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had this happen to my '96 TL, glad to know what it was finally, I thought the spare tire compartment was bad. It was so frustrating trying to get all of this shit out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I followed this guide and about 2 weeks later I had a puddle of water in my trunk again. I decided to look further into it, searched online high and low. What I found is the air vent which is located behind the rear tire and behind the rear bumper was leaking. You have to take the rear bumper off to get to this. I gutted my whole trunk interior and I found a puddle of water behind the left side if you're looking into the trunk, followed it and I found the air vent. I don't know how it was leaking in but I hope this helps some other people, you can buy a replacement vent for about $20 shipped online, I got mine from acuraofconcord.com.

Good luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
I followed this guide and about 2 weeks later I had a puddle of water in my trunk again. I decided to look further into it, searched online high and low. What I found is the air vent which is located behind the rear tire and behind the rear bumper was leaking. You have to take the rear bumper off to get to this. I gutted my whole trunk interior and I found a puddle of water behind the left side if you're looking into the trunk, followed it and I found the air vent. I don't know how it was leaking in but I hope this helps some other people, you can buy a replacement vent for about $20 shipped online, I got mine from acuraofconcord.com.

Good luck
that's exactly where I have water. Gonna try that this :beerchug:weekend

·
Registered
22 Posts
actually i went ahead and replaced the taillight gaskets because all inside the rear of the car the taillights were wet and i could see where it was running down to the driver side quarter panel. Actually i just went to Hobby Lobby and bought a sheet of 18" x 12" foam sheet and traced my gaskets and cut them out. It was a $1.06 including tax, as apposed to almost $30 for both at Acura. I was able to do both gaskets with the one sheet. I also tapped a tiny hole right by the mount for the spare tire to drain the back and filled it with silicone so if it happens again, i can keep the water out until it is fixed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
NIce man thanks a lot you just cured my headache im going to do this asap but do you guys think this DIY also applies to the 2006 acura rsx type s

·
Registered
35 Posts

Damn That sucks this thing should be like somekind of recall or something its really ridiculous now im hesitant to replace the gaskets if the same thing is going to happen again

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dose any one know where to purchase these gaskets for 06 rsx type s
I went to Michaels Arts & Crafts and found some foam sheets made out of the same material. when i took mine off, I just used the old one as a stencil and then cut it out. I wish i would have taken some pics so you could see... but the gaskets are like $25 a piece where i only paid 99 cent for a peice of foam board and it was big enough for two gaskets.

anyway, here is the link so you know what i am talkin about:
http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=gc1328

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just completed this with my 05 RSX Type S because I had a leak from the right tail-light. The gaskets that I got from acuraoemparts.com had adhesive on the side facing the vehicle. I assume this is to prevent this problem from occurring over and over like some have reported. I hope so, or else it will just make replacing them down the road that much more difficult.

Water in the tail light is a good indicator of a bad gasket from what I saw. My lights didnt have the lower screws that required the removal of the bumper (although I didn't realize this until after I removed the bumper). Maybe they were lost on past repairs. Thanks to the TS for this, let's hope it works.

With the adhesive, the gaskets are specific to the side, but I ordered two and got a R and L (as marked on the gasket). I used a hair dryer to get the water out of the tail light (but it took a while).

·
Michael Brown wannabe
2,983 Posts
i did this a while back 4 months or something, my gaskets were both lets and right and had no adesive backing to them, i guess theyre improved, and my left light had no screws either in the bracket from an accident repair, idiots put back my bumper with a fucking screw instead of replacing the brocken tab holder thing

81 - 100 of 350 Posts