Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

101 - 120 of 350 Posts

·
06 JGM Type S
1,271 Posts
For now i just drilled holes...doesn't really help the wet carpet thought FTL
Just take off the taillights, rear bumper removal is not required, although you need to take 2 screws off from under the car where the taillight bracket is.
Then buy some foam sheets from Wal-mart of any other arts and crafts store. They are about 50 cents each and I only used 3.
Dry out the taillights, cut the foam pieces to fit and your done. Too easy to not do it yourself or put it off.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had the same problem but the water would go inside my lights and cause lots of condensation which would look very bad in my 05. I bought some weather stripping from Auto zone to seal the gap between the lights and the body of the car and so far its working good....

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just completed this with my 05 RSX Type S because I had a leak from the right tail-light. The gaskets that I got from acuraoemparts.com had adhesive on the side facing the vehicle. I assume this is to prevent this problem from occurring over and over like some have reported. I hope so, or else it will just make replacing them down the road that much more difficult.

Water in the tail light is a good indicator of a bad gasket from what I saw. My lights didnt have the lower screws that required the removal of the bumper (although I didn't realize this until after I removed the bumper). Maybe they were lost on past repairs. Thanks to the TS for this, let's hope it works.

With the adhesive, the gaskets are specific to the side, but I ordered two and got a R and L (as marked on the gasket). I used a hair dryer to get the water out of the tail light (but it took a while).
You by any chance wouldnt have the part number or something is the 02-04 model the same gasket

·
Registered
40 Posts
You by any chance wouldnt have the part number or something is the 02-04 model the same gasket
Should be at the beginning of the thread. The TS has a 02-04. If you are referring to the gasket that I received with adhesive, no, I just ordered the recommended part from page two from acuraoemparts and it came that way.

·
Registered
337 Posts
i was attempting to do this DIY brought the gaskets and everything but curse the MA weather conditions when i got to work on the rear the tail light brackets were all rusted in i couldnt get the screws out i pb blasted/wd40 the shit out of them and only got 1 screw out and snap a bolt... any suggestions on how to change the gaskets or removing the tail lights orr just getting ride of the water permanently?

·
Brown Member
583 Posts
the best fix for this problem (tried and true from an EM2, to prelude, to my old 06 base)

remove tails
replace with new gaskets...maybe even layer up with the old ones
apply silicone grease on all protrusions that go through the gasket

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
the best fix for this problem (tried and true from an EM2, to prelude, to my old 06 base)

remove tails
replace with new gaskets...maybe even layer up with the old ones
apply silicone grease on all protrusions that go through the gasket
people have been saying that just replacing the gaskets has not been working for them though so im just going to seal around the old ones with silicone

·
Registered
4 Posts
My driver side tail light as well as my spare tire area are full of water and mold.

I love love love my 06 type s but seeing all these ongoing posts is really starting to piss me off.

Why won't or hasn't Acura done anything about this? Clearly its a manu defect since there are cars from 02-06 having the SAME FREAKING PROBLEM! Where's the recall????

·
( ‾ʖ̫‾)
34,537 Posts
just did this for a friends car no monday. very easy job and the gaskets come with an adhesive backing that goes towards the body of the car. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
40 Posts
My driver side tail light as well as my spare tire area are full of water and mold.

I love love love my 06 type s but seeing all these ongoing posts is really starting to piss me off.

Why won't or hasn't Acura done anything about this? Clearly its a manu defect since there are cars from 02-06 having the SAME FREAKING PROBLEM! Where's the recall????
I agree, but in terms of problems this is a pretty easy fix. An hour and $40 for some new gaskets and problem solved.

·
DeeSheeFivu
72 Posts
Same problem here. Water in the tail lights on both sides and a little in the trunk bay after the last week of rain. Called my local delearship here in Sac (NielloAcura.com) and told him about the problem. My 05-S is out of warranty but only has 28k miles on it. He said he would touch base with his Acura rep to see if they can do a "good-will" repair on it even though it is out of warranty. I'm waiting for him to call me back to tell me the good news (I hope). Crossing my fingers...

If not, I will use the OP helpful DIY. Thanks for posting that...

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Washed my 05 today and noticed condensation on the passenger rear tail light. I took the bumper off and noticed the gasket had a lot of dirt and grime on it. I just cleaned it off and will put it back on once it dries out and see how that goes. Why did Acura chose a foam gasket vs rubber?

·
DeeSheeFivu
72 Posts
Same problem here. Water in the tail lights on both sides and a little in the trunk bay after the last week of rain. Called my local delearship here in Sac (NielloAcura.com) and told him about the problem. My 05-S is out of warranty but only has 28k miles on it. He said he would touch base with his Acura rep to see if they can do a "good-will" repair on it even though it is out of warranty. I'm waiting for him to call me back to tell me the good news (I hope). Crossing my fingers...

If not, I will use the OP helpful DIY. Thanks for posting that...
UPDATE: Acura called me back, said they would swap out the rear light housing for the updated ones but only if I pay $160 of the $700 job (not sure if it really costs this much???). Not a bad offer since I'm out of warranty but enough for me try this DIY first to see if that resolves the leak.

101 - 120 of 350 Posts