Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

121 - 140 of 350 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Or instead of doing all that, you simply drill a hole at the lowest part so the water constantly drains out...simple, free, and guaranteed to work forever.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
^^truth..i did this as an extra to adding my own gaskets that i cut out of foam i bought at walmart for $1.00

but clearly people like spending more money than they have to on things..hence why everyone buys mugen shit when the only difference is $40 and 2-3 weeks extra for shipping cause it comes from Japan

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
UPDATE: Acura called me back, said they would swap out the rear light housing for the updated ones but only if I pay $160 of the $700 job (not sure if it really costs this much???). Not a bad offer since I'm out of warranty but enough for me try this DIY first to see if that resolves the leak.
You can get the taillight assemblies for like $160 each and its very easy to take the bumper off and put the new taillights on. At most a 1hr job. I can't see how they would say its $700.

·
Registered
40 Posts
but clearly people like spending more money than they have to on things
I don't let spending more money that I have to, but I will spend money on the correct gasket instead of cutting one out myself from materials from Walmart that have a far more likelihood of leaking.

·
Paul
45 Posts
Anybody else have info on how much it would cost at dealership to fix? $700 sounds like an awful lot, but I don't have a garage, tools, time or patience to do this myself.

I had some documents in my trunk that were soaked today (Atlanta, GA). I saw this tread and decided to check the spare tire well. Sure enough it was damp under the spare tire.

·
Andy wuz here
19,452 Posts
or you can put tape over the gutter where the taillight is so it just runs out the back of the gap and on the ground

·
At work.
2,081 Posts
DIY is super easy takes like 45 minutes, all you need is the new gaskets, a screwdriver and 10mm wrench
true story.

Anybody else have info on how much it would cost at dealership to fix? $700 sounds like an awful lot, but I don't have a garage, tools, time or patience to do this myself.

I had some documents in my trunk that were soaked today (Atlanta, GA). I saw this tread and decided to check the spare tire well. Sure enough it was damp under the spare tire.
seems like youve got it bad...and the dealership will (you can count on it) charge you way too much to do it. I did it myself for $16 and a few hours of my time. so if youre worried about time, youd be sitting at the dealership for awhile anyway. and i did this without knowing shit about taking a car apart or anything, just followed this diy, so dont worry about patience, youll be fine.

·
did it 4 teh lulz
1,203 Posts
yea i had the same problem, i didnt feel like ordering a new gasket.. so i just took out the tail lights and on the old gasket you can see where it presses against the car. and i just put some cock(idk how to spell it) around the taillight gasket and no leaks since

cost like 3 dollars =)

Lmao, i know this is a while back but it's Caulk xD made me laugh tho thanks haha

·
At work.
2,081 Posts
Lmao, i know this is a while back but it's Caulk xD made me laugh tho thanks haha
haha yea, i guess you could use CAULK lol but for all the effort, you may as well drop a little more money on gaskets cuz the caulk is still gonna cost you 6 bucks or whatever caulk costs (i dont exactly know). i mean, id be too scared of making a mess with the caulk...

·
Registered
4 Posts
UPDATE: Acura called me back, said they would swap out the rear light housing for the updated ones but only if I pay $160 of the $700 job (not sure if it really costs this much???). Not a bad offer since I'm out of warranty but enough for me try this DIY first to see if that resolves the leak.
I did the exact same thing you did, except I got shut down. Acura wants to charge me $110 just for the labor on installing the tail lights, then $250 for the right tail light and $262 for left. Props to you for getting lucky on this...hope it resolves your issue.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I did the exact same thing you did, except I got shut down. Acura wants to charge me $110 just for the labor on installing the tail lights, then $250 for the right tail light and $262 for left. Props to you for getting lucky on this...hope it resolves your issue.
How can they charge more for the right vs left light? That doesn't make sense. Search online you can get the lights with gaskets for like $130 each or just the gaskets for like $13/each.

·
DeeSheeFivu
72 Posts
I didn't actually go through with it. I decided to buy the gaskets and give that a try before forking out $160. My local Honda (went to Honda since it was more convenient during work) got me the right and left Gasket Kits 06335-S6M-305 and 06336-S6M-305 for $10 each plus tax. They have the adhesive on the back that stick to the car. Installed them yesterday. Took about 45 taking my time (not including the time I let the lights sit in the sun to get rid of left over condensation). Now all I need is a rainy day to come along to see if it did the job...seeing as weather is 70-75 all week and sunny, that may not happen for a while.

BUMPER: I was happy to find that I did not need to remove the bumper. With a standard sized screwdriver, I could easily reach underneath the bumper and get to the screw on each side. If you can't reach it, you either have popeye forearms or short arms. If either is the case, you will have to remove the bumper...or get a longer screwdriver.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How can they charge more for the right vs left light? That doesn't make sense. Search online you can get the lights with gaskets for like $130 each or just the gaskets for like $13/each.
LOL I said the same thing, after talking to the parts guy at my local Acura dealership about the stupidity in the different prices he politely told me that he didn't set the prices, just read them from the computer.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Now all I need is a rainy day to come along to see if it did the job...seeing as weather is 70-75 all week and sunny, that may not happen for a while.

you could just take a hose and put it on low and run it down the edges where the trunk opens and see if the water leaks into the light

..i f'd mine up baking it(it warped cause i left it in a few long) but i ordered a used oem one in great condition from ebay for lik 60 bucks

121 - 140 of 350 Posts