Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I <3 DIYs
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone. This DIY will provide some ideas on what people do to replace the TRUNK SHOCKS, also known as Lift Support. Over time, the trunk lift supports weaken and become less effective in keeping the trunk fully opened. There are a few ways to go about replacing these shocks.

1. Quickest, easiest method. Go OEM. Of course it will cost you a pretty penny. With labor? The price adds up quick. However, it is the easiest method and will save you any other sorts of hassle.

2. The second, most common method is to purchase your replacement lift supports elsewhere. In this case, some aftermarket lift support shocks will include the Ball Mounts while some won't. From what I've seen while shopping for my replacement lift support shocks, I've seen that most kits do not include them. For the kits that do have them, you are in luck. It is a simple replacement. For the kits without, some people go about using a Dremel to cut out the old ball mounts (you will see later in one of my images how people go about doing so). In this DIY, no Dremel will be required to replace them.

THE DIY: What you will need to perform the replacement
  • 12mm Wrench
  • 13mm Wrench
  • Instrument to hold up the trunk (I used a long folded cardboard piece)
  • 2 Replacement Lift Support Shocks
  • Lift Support Hardware (Ball mounts with washers)
Lift Support Hardware:

I went ahead to a local O'Reilly Auto Parts store and ordered this specific item: Sachs Stabilus - Lift Support Hardware. Part Number: SG900001. UPC: 708609444637. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/SAC1/SG900001/N0876.oap?ck=Search_N0876_1379022_-1&pt=N0876&ppt=C0325. This comes with 2 Ball mounts, 2 washers, and 2 nuts. This is about $3-$4 and is enough for one lift support shock. Please order two of them!

OEM Lift Shock. vs Aftermarket Lift Shock.

Note that the aftermarket sockets have quick release clips at the ends, while the OEM does not.

This image below shows the OEM shock body's mount with the Lift Support Hardware nut screwed in. This was to conclude that the universal Lift Support Hardware above should fit into the mounting holes on the RSX. Also note that I have attempted to dremel the ball mount out and have stopped because it was rather tedious.

Step 1: Lift up the trunk, and use your prop tool to ensure that the trunk will not fall during replacement process.

Step 2: With your 12mm Wrench, unscrew the two mounts holding in one of the lift shocks. Make sure to Unscrew counter-clockwise. Note: Some people choose to try to pop the ball loose from the shock, but it is not recommended as it will bend other things in the process. Once you have removed the lift support from one side, it should now look like this:

Step 3: Repeat the same process on the other side.

Step 4: With your Lift Support Hardware ball mounts, remove the nuts that are included, keeping only the ball mounts and the washers together. Using your 13mm Wrench, screw these mounts onto the vehicle, clockwise to tighten. Hand torque accordingly. There may be some resistance during this process... please be aware not to cross-thread, or strip anything. This was where I was extra careful. However with patience and the 13mm wrench, I was able to have all of them installed and torqued nicely.

Step 5: Using one of your aftermarket lift support shocks, firmly press the body side of the shock into the ball mounted onto the chassis. It should easily lock in place. Twist the body of that shock so that the socket on the tip aligns facing the ball mount on the trunk. Lift up the trunk to accommodate the length of the shock. Snap it into place.

Step 6: Repeat on the other side. When completed, it should look like this:

Congratulations! You have replaced your lift support shocks without using the dremel method or spending on OEM. You have also made it easier to replace the lift support if in any case they weaken and require another replacement. Open and close the trunk a few times to test the difference. :fistbump:

·
Registered
503 Posts
thanks for this both mine are out and its been a pain in the ass loading stuff into my car.
kseries has them for about $90 each and i called my local dealership and they sell em for $115 each.
so im looking into an aftermarket set, where did you order your set from?

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I bought a set off eBay for $22 a piece years ago and they've held up just fine, even with our -20 temperatures last winter.

$45 or $180.....

·
Registered
503 Posts
acruaoemparts has them for $75ea might go that route. my oem ones have lasted 10years. knowing my new set is going to last that long would be worth the extra money to me.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
acruaoemparts has them for $75ea might go that route. my oem ones have lasted 10years. knowing my new set is going to last that long would be worth the extra money to me.
If you've got the money to throw away on unnecessary OEM parts by all means go ahead.

:rain:

Also, www.AcuraOEMParts.com charges shipping and tax, so you're looking at $165+ for it vs. the $45 I spent on mine years ago, and still working like the day I installed them.

·
I <3 DIYs
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for this both mine are out and its been a pain in the ass loading stuff into my car.
kseries has them for about $90 each and i called my local dealership and they sell em for $115 each.
so im looking into an aftermarket set, where did you order your set from?
I recently bought that pair in the DIY for roughly 24 dollars on ebay. So far, they're holding up nice and strong, but it's only been since Christmas so we shall see :)

·
Registered
503 Posts
can't go wrong with oem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Aspec ones supposedly fits and are stronger. 24 bucks each.
08F02-S6M-000R1 STAY ASSY., R. SPOILER
08F02-S6M-000R2 STAY ASSY., L. SPOILER

1 - 10 of 10 Posts