Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok guys I know a few of you have been wanting to do this and didnt know how to but here it is!

This DIY is to make your map lights work with your dome light when you open your door while being able to use your map lights normally when needed at night.

WARNING!
This modification requires the bulbs to be upgraded to LED! There is a dimmer box (idk the correct term but you all know what Im talking about) that slowly dims the lights when the car door closes and Im not for sure what the max current can go through it but it could be overloaded and burned up if not changed to LED. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE DONE WITH THIS MODIFICATION. It works great for me and I enjoy it and have no problems with mine if it is done correctly.

STEP ONE:
TAKE COVERS OFF THE DOME AND MAP LIGHTS USING A KNIFE AND GENTLY PRYING OFF. ON THE MAP LIGHTS PRY IN THE MIDDLE NOT THE OUTSIDES!

STEP TWO:
UNBOLT THE TWO BOLTS IN EACH LIGHT

STEP THREE:
UNPLUG CONNECTOR ON EACH LIGHT

STEP FOUR:
RUN A WIRE FROM ONE LIGHT TO THE OTHER

STEP FIVE:
GO TO YOUR LOCAL ELECTRONIC STORE AND BUY SOME (TWO REQUIRED) ELECTRICAL DIODES (I bought mine from Radio Shack)

NOTE:
DIODES ARE USED WHEN YOU WANT ELECTRICITY TO FLOW IN ONE DIRECTION AND BLOCKED THE OTHER DIRECTION. THESE ARE USED TO PREVENT BACKFEED AND ARE REQUIRED FOR THIS MODIFICATION. MAKE SURE THE STRIPE IS INSTALLED CORRECTLY. THE STRIPE IS KNOWN AS THE DAM WHICH MARKS THE WAY THE CURRENT IS BLOCKED.

THIS IS WHAT THE BACK OF YOUR MAP LIGHTS WILL LOOK LIKE

STEP SIX: SOLDIER THE DIODES IN AS SHOWN. MAKE SURE THE STRIPE ON THE DIODE IS INSTALLED RIGHT.

THIS IS WHAT IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE FINISHED. PUT SOME HEAT SHRINK WRAP OR ELECTRICAL TAPE ON THE ENDS OF THE DIODES.

STEP SEVEN:
WIRE THE TWO WIRES FROM THE DIODES YOU INSTALLED TO THE NEW WIRE YOU RAN FROM THE DOME LIGHT

STEP EIGHT:
CONNECT THE NEW WIRE TO THE GREEN/RED WIRE OFF THE DOME LAMP (I just inserted it into the connector and installed the connector so the factory wiring would not be harmed)

STEP NINE:
PUT EVERYTHING BACK TOGETHER AND ENJOY!

·
My nose in your coke bag
2,917 Posts
awesome DIY.. you beat me to it haha. :thumbsup:

·
is John
29,626 Posts
this looks awesome! how did you ran that wire from dome light to map lights?:confused: and is there any specific gauge for the wire? do we need twin wire or single?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks lol i had the weekend off actually so i was able to get on it. took like an hr. just had to design a way to wire it and still be able to manually turn them on individually but i whooped it and enjoy it very much

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just a single small wire since you will be using LED bulbs they dont pull much power at all. i used like a single 16 gauge and just flipped the rubber trim piece around the sunroof and tucked it under the headliner.

·
is John
29,626 Posts
thanks lol i had the weekend off actually so i was able to get on it. took like an hr. just had to design a way to wire it and still be able to manually turn them on individually but i whooped it and enjoy it very much
it looks great! :thumbsup: the brighter they are when you go inside the car! :D

just a single small wire since you will be using LED bulbs they dont pull much power at all. i used like a single 16 gauge and just flipped the rubber trim piece around the sunroof and tucked it under the headliner.
i have exLED's right now and im loving it! :thumbsup: 16g! got it! so you ran it on the trim huh...? smart move! :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i have exLED's right now and im loving it! :thumbsup: 16g! got it! so you ran it on the trim huh...? smart move! :D[/QUOTE]

yep. i like to keep my car undisturbed as much as possible so in case i sell the car it wont be butchered up.

·
U JELLY?
2,918 Posts
nice! thinking bout doing this soon.

·
Registered
253 Posts
OMG! Can't believe you actually made a DIY, we were on another thread in Lighting Section and like 5 of you talked about making a DIY but no one did for a while..Thanks for doing this and I'll definitely try it soon!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts