Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Most likely the nut has seized up and the whole shaft is spinning. This happens sometimes when the ball joint shaft doesn't seat good in the taper of the tie rod. You can try to squeeze the ball joint and tie rod together with a big "C" clamp or pair of pliers, it might seat tight enough to get the nut off. Or maybe find someone with an impact wrench that can spin the nut off. Worst case, you would have to cut the nut off and replace the ball joint.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
All you have to do is squeeze the tie rod end into the steering arm hole, like the previous person said. The hole is tapered. I do it all the time, it will work.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Use a big pair of channel locks, or a c-clamp. Then, go at it.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Oh I thought you meant the shaft was spinning with the nut. Hhmm, I dont know what to tell you than.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
What you can do if you have enough room is, take a pry bar or something and pry between the nut, and the steering arm. While you are doing that, use an impact to try and take the nut off.

·
wasss gooodd
76 Posts
does the nut and the knuckle spin at the same time because if they do then yea you do need a new tie rod end.... the way you would take it off is by cutting the nut off and poping the tie rod up

hope i helped

·
Central PA AMSOIL dealer
5,586 Posts
nuts stripped then. it won't come off unless you cut it off. order a new tie rod end and nut awhile, then when your parts come in cut the nut off, and install the new tie rod end. mark the tie rod with tape as to where the current tie rod end is positioned, that way you won't need an alignment after you're done. parts like tie rods and tie rod ends are machined with very close tolerances, so they should all be indentical

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I got the same problem on my tie rod ends except the nut is turning along with the bolt shaft. So if I squeeze the bolt up into the boot it will lock in and I will be able to turn the nut on??

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Wow, this thread sounds interesting...

Too bad I DONT KNOW SHIT about what you are talking about. A little while ago I wanted to find a thread that was a basic DIY on checking your tie rod ends but couldnt find one anywhere...

I figured it was a stretch to find one on checking your swaybar endlinks...

Anyone know where a visual DIY for this routine inspection might be?

Sorry to threadjack... just think of the future, if someone is searching on this thread in the future, maybe they'll find it useful too :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
to inspect tierod ends you jack the front end up and grab hold the wheel and kinda wiggle it and look for any play. The wheel/rim should stay solid and not have much play in it.

Kinda hard to explain I guess..best I can at least haha

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
to inspect tierod ends you jack the front end up and grab hold the wheel and kinda wiggle it and look for any play. The wheel/rim should stay solid and not have much play in it.

Kinda hard to explain I guess..best I can at least haha
Nah, you done it! :thumbsup:

I've done this before... What I do is jack it up, grab the wheel at what would be 3 and 9 o'clock then push away from me with my left hand while pulling towards me with my right then switch and kinda try to "wiggle" it that way then I try the same thing only up and down.

:thumbsup:

+rep

1 - 20 of 39 Posts