Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Fun with steak...
2,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Exactly as the title says... do we NEED to get the toda front sway to use the toda race header? Will it still fit properly? The more I read about it, the less I want a 25mm front sway bar. I want this car to feel neutral in handling.

Any ideas? :driving:

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
RSXtreme703 said:
yea i thought u did need it!
The Toda race header is designed for use with the Japanese K20A-equipped ITR. The Japanese version has aluminum lower control arms and a different sway bar design that clears the factory 4-2 upper manifold and 2-1 downpipe. It is IMPOSSIBLE to run a Japanese designed, or even factory ITR exhaust manifold without running either ITR LCAs, swaybar, and knuckles/brakes (unless you have the ITR LCA fitted with an insert that allows it to properly attach to the lower ball joint of the RSX knuckle), or running the Toda or Whiteline swaybar. Both of which are designed for use with the JDM header and USDM-type LCAs.

People like this DC5K20A-2-R need to sit back and learn more before they respond with incorrect information that could lead someone to spending thousands of dollars on a part that will not fit.

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
chunky said:
you could run w/o a front swaybar. the car would be kind of tail happy and not very safe for high speed travel. . ..

doesn't the USDM toda header come with the sway bar now?
Its not really a USDM product. They offer it with the swaybar, but that is to run the JDM product on a USDM car. You can get the header w/o the sway bar though and run it with the Whiteline swaybar or the JDM suspension setup. It is cheaper though to just go ahead and get it with the sway bar.

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
T-EN dc5 said:
but what kinda understeer will the sway bar cause? 25mm is pretty thick
Well Mugen's front is 24.2 and Progress' is a healthy 27, so 25mm is really not that bad, especially if you mate it to a solid rear sway bar.

I plan on running one of the Mugen rear sway bars with it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
BigDawg said:
Well Mugen's front is 24.2 and Progress' is a healthy 27, so 25mm is really not that bad, especially if you mate it to a solid rear sway bar.

I plan on running one of the Mugen rear sway bars with it.
so just running the toda front sway and stock type-s sway bar will cause understeer? :( Just trying to clear everything up so i know how much I will be spending :dontknow:

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
T-EN dc5 said:
but what kinda understeer will the sway bar cause? 25mm is pretty thick
I run the Whitline 25mm in the front with a 22mm rear Progress sway bar. I can't get my car to understeer. The car feels very neutral. I used to run the front Progress 27mm sway bar.

·
Fun with steak...
2,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I called Toda today, and they said they are playing with the idea of making a rear sway bar to make the car handle neutrally. They aren't sure if they are going to do it. They said if they got more inquiries about it they would. Start calling them up and asking. I talked to the rep for about 20 minutes asking about my options.

He said you ABSOLUTELY NEED the sway bar UNLESS you get the type R front suspension set up. This header was made for the type R, not the type s. As you can imagine, there are differences between the two.

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
vanisher said:
He said you ABSOLUTELY NEED the sway bar UNLESS you get the type R front suspension set up. This header was made for the type R, not the type s. As you can imagine, there are differences between the two.
I already covered all of this earlier.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
BigDawg said:
The Toda race header is designed for use with the Japanese K20A-equipped ITR. The Japanese version has aluminum lower control arms and a different sway bar design that clears the factory 4-2 upper manifold and 2-1 downpipe. It is IMPOSSIBLE to run a Japanese designed, or even factory ITR exhaust manifold without running either ITR LCAs, swaybar, and knuckles/brakes (unless you have the ITR LCA fitted with an insert that allows it to properly attach to the lower ball joint of the RSX knuckle), or running the Toda or Whiteline swaybar. Both of which are designed for use with the JDM header and USDM-type LCAs.

People like this DC5K20A-2-R need to sit back and learn more before they respond with incorrect information that could lead someone to spending thousands of dollars on a part that will not fit.
acutally im using the jdm 4-2-1 header w/ my type-s sway...all it does is rattle a bit occasionally

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
freekboy said:
acutally im using the jdm 4-2-1 header w/ my type-s sway...all it does is rattle a bit occasionally
yeah, but you also have the ES motor mounts. That is probably helping it from banging on it all the time.

I'm running the whiteline front sway bar with only a torque dampener and get no banging at all. I even ran it without a torque dampener and had no problems.

ps. get the spoon 2-1 downpipe you'll love it :D

·
Fun with steak...
2,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BigDawg said:
I already covered all of this earlier.
Perhaps, but I like to hear it from the company. As you know there is a lot of misinformation that comes out on this board. No offense to you. I just like the info to be "official"

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
swwifty said:
yeah, but you also have the ES motor mounts. That is probably helping it from banging on it all the time.

I'm running the whiteline front sway bar with only a torque dampener and get no banging at all. I even ran it without a torque dampener and had no problems.

ps. get the spoon 2-1 downpipe you'll love it :D
oo i c....ey does the spoon downpipe eliminate the cat???

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
vanisher said:
Perhaps, but I like to hear it from the company. As you know there is a lot of misinformation that comes out on this board. No offense to you. I just like the info to be "official"
BigDawg, has the Toda race header sitting in his apartment, I'd think he'd know. Even if you don't trust him it says right on their site..."The TODA exhaust manifold is designed for the Japanese DC5 Type-R. To use the TODA exhaust manifold on the U.S. RSX Type-S, the front stabilizer bar must be replaced with our special front swaybar. This is due to differences in the North American RSX Type-S front suspension components."

1 - 20 of 27 Posts