Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
My dealer only charged $6.95 for key replacement on Integra. This was last month. Not sure why it would be that much more for RSX. I assume you just mean ignition key and are not needing a new remote.

Correction: I had to pull out my receipts anyway today to check when my Teg is due for a tune up and saw the actual key duplication was only $3.02. Quite reasonable from the dealer IMO.
Doesn't help the OP much as it was a surprise to me about the cost to program an RSX key as others stated. Good info to have. Since I am a new RSX owner I will have to do a search to see if I can even replace the battery without programming, etc..... I am an hour away from the dealer...

·
Hi there
696 Posts
Depends what you are driving and what you are looking for. Our keys have an anti theft system and not only do you have to cut a key you have to have the dealer program that key into your immob system. Should could somewhere between 50-80 depending on the dealer.

·
ASSHOLE CREW
5,839 Posts
I believe its around $80

·
Registered
27 Posts
Haven't needed a key yet for my RSX. I knew the remote had to be programmed....didn't know about the actual key.....Good thing I saw this, even though I didn't help the OP. Learn something here everyday.

·
Semi Kind of Retired
222,529 Posts
Haven't needed a key yet for my RSX. I knew the remote had to be programmed....didn't know about the actual key.....Good thing I saw this, even though I didn't help the OP. Learn something here everyday.
Yeah, for the RSX, Acura only made a certain number of key cuts, so some keys are going to be the same. That's why you need the immobilizer in the ECU for the keys. If you try to use the wrong key in the keyhole too many times the ECU goes into a lockdown-type mode.

·
Hi there
696 Posts
The funny thing is at my dealer (honda) i was helping the parts guys do inventory and most of the key blanks cost no more than 5$. And it literally takes 5 minutes on the honda scan tool to program the key into the system. So you are basically paying 80 for them to cut the key.

Just thought i'd share .. The more you know.........

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
when i went to a lock and key place they told me that our keys are able to be "cloned." it took him 30 seconds and costed me $10. before this, i called the stealership and they were wanting somewhere around $90.

your choice...

·
roar1!!
10,107 Posts
i have an 06 rsx and over a month ago it got into an accident. while at the body shop, those idiots lost my key and remote, so i had to go back to the acura dealer for another set. they charged me $320 for a set and reprograming the whole car, cause my dad is worried about it gettin stolen with the lost set.

couple days ago i went back to the body shop cause they, at least, agreed to pay for a replacement set. alarmed by the price, 20 mins of calling acura back and forth we found out the dealer charged 40% above the listed price.

basicly... rsx keys shouldnt be more than $90 and remote $80, listed price

·
Registered
30 Posts
when it comes to a key since they have a chip in the key u should get a spare at a dealership even if u have to pay more cuz u never know wat could happen if u get it somewhere else that isnt a certified dealer

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.