Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Supercharged Crew #37
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

If I have me car at the CTSC stage 1 setup dyno tuned specifically to my car, if I decided to change the pulley size/boost level (*eg 7psi pulley), would the car needs a re-tune on the dyno?

I know that A/F and knocking will probably need to be tuned when boost level is changed, but that’s something that could be done myself with datalogging. I am more concerned with the MAP that I dyno tuned if needs to be modified (*Cam angles, timing, etc)

Thanks,

·
Registered
24,670 Posts
if you are concerned about making maximum power, then yes you need to re dyno tune.

otherwise, you can just street tune for knock and AF.

·
Supercharged Crew #37
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I was thinking that when boost level is increased, it should only affect air/fuel ratio and possible knocking due to it. But i can't find a reason how the cam angle maps, igition, etc would be effected... inputs?

·
Registered
24,670 Posts
well ignition is really what makes the power. so unless you're just fine with "whatever it makes" you'll want to dynotune it.

you'll have to check it all anyway since the 5psi calibration is not guaranteed to work at 7psi and you'll have to redo the fuel and knock tuning.

anytime you change the mechanical part of the engine, you should probably retune. doesn't mean you have to dyno tune. just retune.

·
Supercharged Crew #37
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well should I start with JRSC's 5psi calibration from the Kpro as a starting point to dyno tune for the CTSC stage 1?

Btw, when you say that I dont' need a dyno tune, but just a re-tune... do u mean a street tune fixing the A/F and knock?

Thanks,

·
Supercharged Crew #37
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stock injectors.

I may go to 9psi in the future, that's why I didn't go with CT's stage2 kit because I'm afride they will max duty cycle if i go higher than the stage2 psi level. Probably the RC 660cc injectors if i do upgrade from the stock CT stage 1.

·
Registered
24,670 Posts
umm...the stock injectors won't even handle 5psi all the way. no way no how are they going to handle 7psi.

·
Supercharged Crew #37
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh i know that, I was planning to upgrade the injectors before doing a dyno tune. The stage 2 has 520cc injectors, I wonder how high of a boost level these injectors could handle...?

I'm still debating if I should go w/ the stage2 injectors or just go all out and get the 660cc that's all

I just want to know before hand if it's worth it to tune now, or do it in the future when I find a boost level I'm happy with.

·
Registered
24,670 Posts
520's would prob be enuff for the 8psi pulley. i'm on 550's and 8psi pulley spiking to 9.9psi is still good.

if you're not going with an RC injector, then you'll have to do part throttle tuning too.

·
Supercharged Crew #37
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
8psi pulley is custom right? Not the stage2...?
What's your max duty cycle on the 550cc injectors with the 8psi pulley?

Part throttle tuning? Why do I need to do this if I don't use RC injectors.
I thought the ECU automatically adjust A/F under part throttle (*Open loops vs. Close loop), and under WOT only it reads the map (*that you dyno tune). Correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm still learning. Thanks!

·
Registered
24,670 Posts
stage 2 is i think the 6 or so psi pully. 8psi is 3.3" stage 2 is 3.6"

i do about max....i think either 75% or 85%. can't remember offhand actually.

because the calibration is made for JRSC with RC 550 or RC 440 injectors. different injectors behave differently. the same injector burst from two similar CAPACITY injectors does not mean they'll inject the same amount of fuel.

ECU automatically adjusts A/F when it's in closed loop. if you're in boost, then you're not in cloosed loop anymore. it has nothing to do with throttle position. with boosted applications, you could be at 50% throttle and at 4psi of boost.

·
Registered
24,670 Posts
to tune at part throttle, you put the ECU in open loop mode, then u do....instead of WOT runs, you do part throttle runs. it's kinda hard to explain. you have to run thru the RPM range while keeping a constant MAP. it's pretty hard to actually do too.

·
Registered
24,670 Posts
see above

no u don't have to go all way to 8000

i did my part throttle in 3rd gear on the street. 1500rpm-4000rpm is pretty much all that's needed.

·
ECU Tuner
4,281 Posts
joejoe3 said:
Hi

If I have me car at the CTSC stage 1 setup dyno tuned specifically to my car, if I decided to change the pulley size/boost level (*eg 7psi pulley), would the car needs a re-tune on the dyno?

I know that A/F and knocking will probably need to be tuned when boost level is changed, but that’s something that could be done myself with datalogging. I am more concerned with the MAP that I dyno tuned if needs to be modified (*Cam angles, timing, etc)

Thanks,
Interestingly enough, when I switched from Comptech Stage 1 to Stage 2, there was absolutely no retuning required. We simply changed the injector size and the redline and that was that. Power went from 232 to 258. I eventually tuned out a couple of knock spots, but the CTSC Stage 1 tune can handle Stage 2. It's only when you put in the 3.3 inch pulley that it's back to the drawing board.

·
Supercharged Crew #37
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Always nice to see you post conrad.
232 vs. 258, now was this peak power made at the same RPM, or 258 was reached due to the higher rpm?

So comptech stage2's pulley gets you about ~6psi while the stage1 put u at about ~5psi?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts