Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to figure out whether the Type-R 22mm rear sway bar automatically bumps the RSX a class in autox (from Street C - > Improved). Any comments from the AutoXers out there would be appreciated.

·
walks softly
127 Posts
Any REAR sway bar change will bump you from stock. Sway bars are open in Street Prepared.

But... there is always a grey area... if you do not plan to run Nationally you can get away with a type R rear bar in stock (its still illegal). But until you beat someone really fast, no questions will be raised due to its stock appearance. -OR- you can run a softer front bar. FRONT sway bars are open in stock. Don't ask me why. Its a rule that goes back to when all cars were RWD.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot for the info man. I guess I have to deal with the moral issues. It's not too bad, I might just find my stock one or buy a new stock one and switch it out each time I go. I'm not a pro by any means, and I have a snowball's chance in hell of getting to nationals...but I would still feel wrong running a sway bar in a stock class, just cause it would feel like cheating (and technically would be cheating). Anyway, thanks a lot for the info again.

·
Here goes nothing
5,412 Posts
You'll just need to ask yourself what you want to do. A new front swaybar won't do you any real justice in autox (a stiffer one will probably hurt if you keep the rear the same). If you're just looking to spend some money on your car but stay legal then get some lightweight 16s and better tires. Cheating is lame, but the beauty of it is that the kind of people who would slip stuff in like that probably aren't good enough drivers for it to matter.

·
walks softly
127 Posts
I used to be a rule hound. I run Nationally, in stock class (not with the RSX tho) I have to be a rule hound.

But the reality is that if a rear sway bar is all you have and you come out to your first event, end up in SP or something, get your ass handed to you, or no one knows where to put your car, you miss a walk because of classing issues and messed up tech... and it generally ruins your first autocross experience and you don't come back and hate the SCCA. What good is that?
The point is to have fun. Bend a rule, its not like you have a progress bar with the chassis stiffener? See if you like it, then make sure you're legal and properly classed when you run for points. Just don't be defiant when someone calls you on it. Generally we are very good about giving slack, especally in regional stuff, but you are bound to run into a dick (every region has at least one big one)

Point is... we need new blood in the club.

·
cone head
1,452 Posts
Front bar is already 22mm, and a stiffer one won't do much good for auto-x anyway, fact it makes the car understeer more. Rear bar is 19mm and stiffer/bigger one will help a LOT. That and tires. All I did so far was Progress rear bar and Azenis and it's like a different car, easily 2-3 seconds right there.

·
Here goes nothing
5,412 Posts
I agree HPDETOY, most people don't care about points and having fun is the key. But at the same time, if you just want to have fun, what does it matter what class you're in? Just be honest when you fill out your card.

I think the larger point that walk reiterated is that with our cars, in an autox setting, a front sway bar alone is a waste of money. And I just realized I read yaro's post wrong. I thought he was *considering* buying a FSB. So I'll just shut up now

By no means do I want to dissuade someone from joining SCCA, and I apologize if that's how it came off. :shakehead

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've autocrossed twice and am fast coming to the realization that I will probably be doing it fairly regularly. It's a lot cheaper than high speed seat time, and a lot less wear and tear on the car. One thing that genuinly impressed me about my autocross experiences was how incredibly friendly and accomodating the people were. Autocrossing really is kind of a club event, no matter who you are. I have ran Novice class twice, finishing midpack both times...but against some pretty stiff competition. By the rules I will run one more time in Novice, and then move into a class, whichever the RSX may be (Sports D or E I believe). I guess when the time comes I'll just switch out that rear bar. I love the thrill of competition, and I would hate myself if I knew I was competing unfairly. I wouldn't actually mind so much if someone ran against me with an "illegal" sway bar...but it would ruin the sense of competition for me to know that I was doing it. Thanks for the advice guys, I'll be glad to be new blood in the club :)

·
walks softly
127 Posts
lando said:
By no means do I want to dissuade someone from joining SCCA, and I apologize if that's how it came off. :shakehead
Hey man, no problem. I didn't get any wrong impression from your post.

What I had in mind when I said changing the front sway was actually going softer (much like adding a stiffer rear bar) but in reality roll control is roll control, the rules allow you to change it, so going stiffer is not a bad idea.
BUT... other things will have to be reconfigured, like shock compression and rebound characteristics, staggered tire sizes 225f/205r etc.

·
Here goes nothing
5,412 Posts
Cool. As far as I understand, increasing stiffness helps steering response but hurts traction. I had considered a softer FSB to reduce understeer, but then turn-in suffers. By that rationale a stiffer FSB could be ok with stronger/wider tires as you mentioned... everything's a tradeoff. But I've had enough of a time just playing with tire pressures (I'm still on the factory michelins and spun out last week running 39/34).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts