Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My passenger side door lock stopped working. then a few days later was working again. now its out for good.

question, could it be a loose wire from my alarm? also dont the rear hatch and passenger door share the same wire as i only tapped 2wires on alarm install one for drivers side one for pass n latch, but the rear hatch still works fine:confused:

bad actuator maybe?

·
Name's Vic
14,753 Posts
yup sounds like an actuator, buy a simple test light for light 20-30$, trust me ull use this a lot, then test it to see if u have power when u unlock/lock the door then check the other wire for unlock/lock.

One should have power when u lock it and one should have power when you unlock it, if they both have power then you need an actuator.

Seems like it doenst lock or unlock just check it for power make sure its not a loose wire somewhere if not the actuator it is

·
no longer blown ;(
6,576 Posts
My passenger side door lock stopped working. then a few days later was working again. now its out for good.

question, could it be a loose wire from my alarm? also dont the rear hatch and passenger door share the same wire as i only tapped 2wires on alarm install one for drivers side one for pass n latch, but the rear hatch still works fine:confused:

bad actuator maybe?
first off the 2 wires you taped are the lock and unlock wires which are common for all the doors if you tapped them at the correct spot. there are no wires that i know of that are not common i.e. drivers lock, passenger lock. so if just one side isnt working then yes there is probably a problem with that lock.

but a few questions to clarify,
what brand alarm is it?
where did you tap the lock/unlock wires at?
does the passenger side lock work if you use the lock switch on the door itself?

also DO NOT use a test light. they are not computer safe which means if you tap and test a wire you shouldnt by mistake you could cause some serious damage, always use a digital safe multi meter.

·
Name's Vic
14,753 Posts
ur telling me if u use a test light to check for power your gonna cause more damage? thats funny considering i must have checked a hundred door lock actuators and maf sensors and o2 sensors with a test light

Thats why theres fuses for everything

·
no longer blown ;(
6,576 Posts
do you understand that a test light actually puts a load on the wire you tap?

lets say you tap an airbag wire by mistake and ground your test light and put the probe on the wire. do you know what will happen? your airbags are going o go off because it will get a ground THROUGH the test light.

thats just an example but should be a good enough one to illustrate the dangers a test light can pose. now if you know exactly what you are doing and what wires you are testing then it can be a very safe and useful tool. i know because i use one almost every day at my shop. now i use it side by side with my dmm and know what i am doing. i dont know the thread starter and would not recommend someone who doesnt have the knowledge that i have and you may have as well to use a test light.

and no offense thread starter, you may very well have pretty good knowledge of what your doing but your question gives me good enough reason to tell you to use a dmm.

·
Name's Vic
14,753 Posts
huh first of all anyone knows you dont test an airbag wire but if you do obviously your airbag wont be plugged in if your testing the wire DUH you UNPLUG the wire when you test it, i seriously hope ur not pocking ur test light at an air bag wire still plugged in

·
no longer blown ;(
6,576 Posts
huh first of all anyone knows you dont test an airbag wire but if you do obviously your airbag wont be plugged in if your testing the wire DUH you UNPLUG the wire when you test it, i seriously hope ur not pocking ur test light at an air bag wire still plugged in
alright nevermind you have no idea what you are talking about.

if you unplug the wire please explain to me how you test it? like say the door locks, if you unplug the door lock harness how do you test to see if it is the correct wire? alarms and remote starts are what i do for a living and what i have done for the last 7 years so i think i pretty well versed in this area.

EDIT: oh yeah and like i said, the airbag was just an example of what a test light can do and worse case scenario.

·
Name's Vic
14,753 Posts
and first of all if you dont have a wiring diagram you shouldnt be testing anything.

Now if you unplug your actuator and ground your test light and poke at both pins, nothing bad is going to happen you know why? cuz there both positive, if your checking for ground and you have your test light on a positive, touching a positive to positive wont do anything but touching a positive to negative will make the light go on.

A test light is only to check power and ground not voltage

·
Name's Vic
14,753 Posts
wow dude you do know if you unplug your door lock actuator theres still power to that wire right?

Considering the fact that im a mechanic and ASE certified as well i think ill take my way correctly.

If you unplug your IAT sensor the power wire will still have power to it even if its unplugged and has no ground.

·
Name's Vic
14,753 Posts
try this next time your installing an alarm, unplug the door lock actuator and use the lock and unlock button while you have the test light in one of the pins, when the light lights up when you press unlock then thats the wire that unlocks.

·
no longer blown ;(
6,576 Posts
try this next time your installing an alarm, unplug the door lock actuator and use the lock and unlock button while you have the test light in one of the pins, when the light lights up when you press unlock then thats the wire that unlocks.
wow really, i am mecp certified, trust me i know how to test wires. my point was not that a test light does not work, because it does, my point was that in the wrong hands it can do some damage

·
Name's Vic
14,753 Posts
alright dude tomorrow when i go to work ill start pocking around from battery negative to positive and positive to positive and negative to negative and let you know what happens, guarantee you nothing will ever happen and btw MECP doesnt mean shit when your working at a dealership ASE does, the point is your installing alarms and im fixing wiring problems which Ford has a lot of so i know what im talking about and trust me if test lights did harm in the wrong hands then people wouldnt be using em, a DMM has its faults to considering if u leave it on OHMS by accident thats got juice

·
Name's Vic
14,753 Posts
when r u gonna stop arguing with me and just admit your wrong man?

geez dude take it easy u can give a child a test light and he might poke his eye out if anything but nothing else will happen lol

·
no longer blown ;(
6,576 Posts
alright dude tomorrow when i go to work ill start pocking around from battery negative to positive and positive to positive and negative to negative and let you know what happens, guarantee you nothing will ever happen and btw MECP doesnt mean shit when your working at a dealership ASE does, the point is your installing alarms and im fixing wiring problems which Ford has a lot of so i know what im talking about and trust me if test lights did harm in the wrong hands then people wouldnt be using em, a DMM has its faults to considering if u leave it on OHMS by accident thats got juice
well touching it to your battery wont harm anything but i dare you to ground it and test random wires in your car. you wouldnt, why? because you could definitely harm something which is exactly my point. if it is used correctly it works very well but if you test something that you shouldnt by mistake then thats when you could have issuse with a test light.

·
Name's Vic
14,753 Posts
huh ok ill ground the test light and start touching wires and nothing is gonna happen all its gonna do is light up if theres power thats all, what you think its gonna blow a fuse? might happen. you think its gonna fry wires? not enough ohms in the test light to do so.

But ill tell u what ill hook it up to ground and start poking wires in the engine bay and ill watch nothing happen, if you've got proof then let me know until then no offense i wont believe you

·
Name's Vic
14,753 Posts
btw i hope you know the battery has more juice then most wires in the car considering not to many wires in the car have constant 12volts

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
no the door lock doesnt work no matter how i use it or what button i press. i'm pretty sure its the actuator, just seems weird that it stopped working, started again, and is now dead, but i've seen crazier shit really so...heh.

and its compustar 2wss-as
followed DIY on here with a few customized differences ^_^

1 - 20 of 52 Posts