Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
k > b
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got the chance to work on this car earlier tonight. after a few setbacks, we were finally able to dial this setup on the dyno. it's a fg2 civic si. the car has the following mods:

-3.5 inch intake pipe
-j35 throttle body
-rrc intake manifold
-hytech header
-hytech twin loop exhaust
-go power 900cc injectors
-e85 fuel
-prb oil pump
-drag cartel 2.2 endurance cams with supporting valvetrain

the cams make great peak power. they really shine past 6k rpm. i believe the 2.5 inch exhaust is holding back the mid range early hence the peak torque coming in at 6k rpm. vtec was tricky to dial in. it was difficult getting a smooth crossover. overall if you're looking for top end power for drag racing, these cams would suit you well.

·
Resident hater
7,647 Posts
very nice. how well do you think these would fair in a stock(ish) k20 or k24?

·
k > b
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
very nice. how well do you think these would fair in a stock(ish) k20 or k24?
well if by stockish k20 you mean stock bottom end with supporting bolt on's like this car, then i would say it would work well.

i think these would work even better on a k24.

·
k > b
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so is this making more power then stage 2 cams for the K in general? or about the same?
no they vary. it's a very big cam for a 'stage 2'. they make more top end compared to say something like an ips k2 or a brian crower stage 2. the mid range is nothing crazy. even with a larger exhaust i'm sure the 5k to 6k portion of the powerband will smoothen up but it just look like these cams just shine at high rpm. the meat of the powerband comes in after 6k rpm.

these cams remind me a lot of the skunk2 stage 2's. with regards to the powerband.

·
Banned
4,087 Posts
As you said Brian, a larger exhaust will probably get that tq to peak higher and smooth out the tq curve more from the 4-6k range.

If you don't mind me asking what were the duty cycles like? I've been recently thinking of switching to e-85 and I'm unsure of injectors at this point

·
k > b
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
according to the last datalog, the duty cycle peaked at 65%. and that's with 900cc injectors lol.

·
k > b
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just so you get an idea of the damage these cams can do lol, i have some videos to share. these were filmed yesterday.

the fg2 civic has the mods listed in the first post. the ek civic coupe has a k24a2 swap with bolt on's and a 50 degree vtc cam gear.

this was their race from a 40 roll in 2nd gear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXzeTnBZiYE

this was another 40 roll in 2nd gear. the fg civic missed a gear the firs time and they lined up again. notice how the fg civic pulls top end :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIUzxzD14KM

·
k > b
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i did. it didn't want much cam timing on the small lobes. it had a range. eventually as i kept advancing cam timing, it would start to slowly lose power. on the vtec lobe it was a completely different story. the lack of power early on in the powerband is due to the exhaust.

this car is getting a 3 inch installed within the next few days. it should be back on the dyno next week.

·
How You DOOIN
3,410 Posts
Wow great number and curve with just boltons/cams... Would live to see this with sum 12.5.1 and a port on the head.

·
Dream Weaver
483 Posts
I can't wait to get a set of Drag Cartels. They continue to prove themselves as the best k series cams.
What is the difference between the DICs and 2.2s? I know the 2.2s produce more power but are they as streetable on a K20 as the DICs?

·
k > b
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the 2.2's are bigger. they also require a valvetrain upgrade. the cams are perfectly streetable. the civic running around with the 2.2's is daily driven.

·
k > b
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes, a 3 inch exhaust was swapped over recently. it picked up hp in the mid range. peak hp was down 3 hp but considering it was a hotter day and a lot more humid, i wouldn't really say it's a fair comparison. the car definitely feels faster. a larger throttle body is next and then re-tuning.

·
Registered
142 Posts
light weight flywheel
3in exhaust
hondata IMG
K-pro
and maybe a 70 or 74mm tb port-match with ur rrc

u should see a solid 15 to 18 whp gain!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts