Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:dontknow: What are you guys using for your drag setup on tires and rims? I went to the track last night for the first time. I am hooked. I want to go again, but I really want some tires and rims. Where should i start? What kinda rims? Should i just try to find a set of stocker rims, or do you think I can find somthing for cheaper? What kind of tires, and what size? Also, is buying used rims or tires a good idea? Thanks for the advice. I am hoping I can get the info I need so I can go the track next Wen night to improve my time. Thanks again.

Chris Oxnard Souther Cali

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
oxnardk20a2 said:
:dontknow: What are you guys using for your drag setup on tires and rims? I went to the track last night for the first time. I am hooked. I want to go again, but I really want some tires and rims. Where should i start? What kinda rims? Should i just try to find a set of stocker rims, or do you think I can find somthing for cheaper? What kind of tires, and what size? Also, is buying used rims or tires a good idea? Thanks for the advice. I am hoping I can get the info I need so I can go the track next Wen night to improve my time. Thanks again.

Chris Oxnard Souther Cali
Truthfully the stock rims make great drag rims. 16" @ 16lbs so they are pretty light. Just put some 205 45 Az Falkens on em...only 80$ a piece too. Light and great grip!

I personally have Toyo 215 50's on the stock rims and it makes for pretty good grip in the dry and rain.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So are you driving with your Toyo all the time? I thought that Az Falkens were for street driving, which is a drag radial, right? I am new to this stuff so mind my ignorance. I was looking for somthing that would be the best for the track. Ill drive my car to the track, and then change the tires.

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
oxnardk20a2 said:
So are you driving with your Toyo all the time? I thought that Az Falkens were for street driving, which is a drag radial, right? I am new to this stuff so mind my ignorance. I was looking for somthing that would be the best for the track. Ill drive my car to the track, and then change the tires.
Az's are used mostly for AutoXing and are R-compound tires. They provide a lot of grip, are light, and cheap...thus great for the 1/4mi track as well. The only reason I dont get them is b/c I live in the Pacific Northwest. For you bad weather isnt as big of a concern so I would go for the Az's.

If you want even more traction get some Energy Suspension Motor Mounts to control wheel hop. Only 30$ and 2hr of self install at home. Best bang for your buck mod possible next to a rear sway. Lots of threads on it and DIY's...try a search.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why do you say the rear sway bar? can i upgrade the the rear sway bar with my stock height and suspension? and just to make sure that we are on the same page, the Az's are drag radial correct?

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
The Azenis is not a drag radial. It was made for auto-x. But since there arent that much to choose from as far as drag tires go that will fit our 16s, the Azenis is your best bang for the buck or the next best alternative. With the track prepped right and the conditions great, I was boggin of the line launching at 4500 rpm :eek: and 5500 rpm was the only way to go. The only thing about the Azenis is that they are heavy, but with some 13.5 lbs slips, they arent too bad.

Please not though, if the track has a slight bit of moisture on the ground, the Azenis will not grip even if you do a long burnout. Trust me I have tried. They are not good wet weather tires.

Just for comparison, during summer I was pulling high 2.1s to low 2.2s @ 5500 rpm. During winter I was pulling 2.3s to 2.5s @ 3500 to 4500 rpm :shakehead ....poor clutch!

·
Banned
1,575 Posts
MmmotorNutz said:
The Azenis is not a drag radial. It was made for auto-x. But since there arent that much to choose from as far as drag tires go that will fit our 16s, the Azenis is your best bang for the buck or the next best alternative. With the track prepped right and the conditions great, I was boggin of the line launching at 4500 rpm :eek: and 5500 rpm was the only way to go. The only thing about the Azenis is that they are heavy, but with some 13.5 lbs slips, they arent too bad.

Please not though, if the track has a slight bit of moisture on the ground, the Azenis will not grip even if you do a long burnout. Trust me I have tried. They are not good wet weather tires.

Just for comparison, during summer I was pulling high 2.1s to low 2.2s @ 5500 rpm. During winter I was pulling 2.3s to 2.5s @ 3500 to 4500 rpm :shakehead ....poor clutch!
mine grip all day at the track, just i never launch over 3/4 throttle b/c if sears is just a tad slippery they spin....

BTW I was running azenis first on prelude SH wheels then i aquired some OEM rims and threw on the azenis.... best 60 of 2.19 at sears, avg 2.2's and a 2.3 on a bad day!!! Next im trying the Kumho MX's b/c i need tires that grip in rain and wet surfaces... azenis suck so bad in the rain... they are great for dry surfaces but i need an all around performance tire... MX's are next on my wish list. :thumbsup: :driving:

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
MmmotorNutz said:
The only thing about the Azenis is that they are heavy
They are?:dontknow:

Why do you say the rear sway bar? can i upgrade the the rear sway bar with my stock height and suspension?
Yah, bolts right up...just get a JDM DC5 type R rear sway. Built for the RSX type R and only 105$. Reduces body roll and tightens up the rear end substantially.

Since your new ill give you some mod advice.

Cold air intake, Hondata, and Motor Mounts will get you in the low 14's perhaps high 13's @ 100mph with some gutting (Spare, jack, seats, mats etc.)

Next get some springs, tires, and rear sway...Total 1600$ and she will feal like a new lady.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i already have cold air, and exhaust. I was thinking about the jackson racing header and test pipe along with a set of rims and tires for the track. i am bidding on a set of stock rims on ebay, then all I need is the tires. So what size exactly do you think i should buy once i get my rims in the mail? how long did it take you to install the motor mounts? do they look like the stock ones? cause i still got 14,000 miles left of waranty and i don't want to mod the car too much before then?

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
oxnardk20a2 said:
how long did it take you to install the motor mounts? do they look like the stock ones? cause i still got 14,000 miles left of waranty and i don't want to mod the car too much before then?
2hrs...but now it would take me 1hr. They are inserts they are not replacment mounts. Get black and they would be pretty hard to notice...if something goes wrong, just go back to stock.

·
Banned
4,096 Posts
I use toyo t1-s for drag racing and every day driving (look in sig for 60ft times). They dont last that long and are super expensive. They are ALOT lighter than the azenis, and grip 10 x better than stock on the wet / dry surfaces. This why i chose the proxies over the azenis and got rid of the stock michilens. I defenitly recommend these tires, and would buy them again! :thumbsup:

As far as wheel options go, If you're considering stock wheels, cough up a couple hundred more for some rota slipstreams 13.5 lbs + 20 lbs proxies = a reasonable amount of weight savings for unsprung weight. If you're really hardcore and have money to burn get the spoon sw388's 11.9 lbs :D

I also have the j's torque dampener (installed) helps w/ launching

es motor mounts (sitting in my room collecting dust) :laughing: also will help w/ launching.

·
Banned
9 Posts
Azenis are very heavy for a drag tire.....dont get me wrong, I have been preaching their use for years....I guess I kinda started the whole Azenis cross-over thing

If your serious about drag racing though, just get you a set of slicks......for about $5-600 you can be up and running and cut off a good amount of time; and still have whatever tires you want for the street

·
Banned
9 Posts
also......do get some lowering springs soon; that will help you considerably

the eibach pro-kit is the off-the-shelf kit that I prefer

·
New car again...
5,092 Posts
jdkindle said:
also......do get some lowering springs soon; that will help you considerably

the eibach pro-kit is the off-the-shelf kit that I prefer
Don't you mean the eibach whores?? :laughing:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey, so how much was that dampaner? i have saw one on clubrsx once a long time ago. where did you get yours?

·
K20
3,090 Posts
I like the azenis the best time i could pull on stocks in the 1/8th was [email protected] and i was getting 2.4-2.3 60ft. Now i just bought some azenis and went to the track i hit [email protected] and my 60ft. was 2.1-2.2 even though it was cold as fuck to get good traction. Azenis kick ass i like them alot :thumbsup: .

·
i-vtec.Do you?
1,595 Posts
Does hoosier make a 16inch slick that will fit the stocks or some other wheel i was looking at the velox pg rev-5 their so damn expensive but light i would just get two for the track since a 16*7 weighs 11.5 lbs

·
hondata'd
883 Posts
the best 60 ft time i got with stock michellin tires (17psi) was a 2.27 60 ft, then i switched over to falken azenis sport 215/45/16 my 60 ft began to be consistant with the 2.2's and dip into high 2.1's.
i then ended up buying my nitto nt555r 205/45/16 drag radials(R compound) and i was posting consistent low 2.1's (im pretty sure i could tap 2.0's with more practice)
my best time is [email protected] on the 1/8th at irwindale speedway
and [email protected] on the 1/4 at cali speedway,fontana (with ridiculous wheelhop)
btw ...i ran all my passes with stock rsx rims..my car mods on on my signature if your wondering

and if anyones interested
FS: here wants my 2 nitto drag radials i am selling them mounted on sprayed blk oem rsx rims ...heres the link http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?p=2240122#post2240122

1 - 18 of 18 Posts