Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I just got my RSX base auto. It has feature of manual shifting, which gives advantage over autos. I have never driven this type of tranny before, so I'm not sure how to use it. I tried it few times and I'm kinda confused how it works. I mentioned that even when I stop with 4th gear on, it gets down to 1st automatically, which is not like manual. So I am concerned isnt it harmful for the tranny to do that, or should I shift down myself while breaking. Also one of the assholes in some 3.0l Ford saw that I had automatic and wanted to make fun of me (sports car with an auto), so I put the manual shifting on and accelerated 6000rpm on the 1st gear and went to about 40mph and same 6k rpm on second, so I beat him like a piece of cake, then I put back to auto and stopped. So here is my concern, Is it acceptable to do so with this tranny? Cuz I dont want to mess it up.

·
Property of Haiti
1,686 Posts
Put on your flame suit....

It's not bad for the tranny or els they wouldnt have made tiptronic lol... i'm not sure about stopping in 4th though I only use it when im bored and decide to have some fun , whenever I switch into it it always puts me in 2nd gear.

·
4-MMC OG
1,907 Posts
Put on your flame suit....

It's not bad for the tranny or els they wouldnt have made tiptronic lol... i'm not sure about stopping in 4th though I only use it when im bored and decide to have some fun , whenever I switch into it it always puts me in 2nd gear.
They most always do that IME. Tiptonic is idiot proof, its fine...

·
Banned
8,155 Posts
Hey. I just got my RSX base auto. It has feature of manual shifting, which gives advantage over autos. I have never driven this type of tranny before, so I'm not sure how to use it. I tried it few times and I'm kinda confused how it works. I mentioned that even when I stop with 4th gear on, it gets down to 1st automatically, which is not like manual. So I am concerned isnt it harmful for the tranny to do that, or should I shift down myself while breaking. Also one of the assholes in some 3.0l Ford saw that I had automatic and wanted to make fun of me (sports car with an auto), so I put the manual shifting on and accelerated 6000rpm on the 1st gear and went to about 40mph and same 6k rpm on second, so I beat him like a piece of cake, then I put back to auto and stopped. So here is my concern, Is it acceptable to do so with this tranny? Cuz I dont want to mess it up.

An automatic with manual shifting? I have not heard of such advanced technology, please inform me further on the subject. It must be very complicated for even the most intellectual among us. Gladly it seems to be able to go from 4th to 1st AUTOMATICALLY, which manuals are cleary not capable of. That transmission must be built like a rock to not have 3rd gear grind (pun intended). It is a wonder why a Ford would make fun of a car who's company does not have to be bailed out but even more of a wonder why he would think that an auto RSX is a sports car. To my knowledge this type of transmission would best work when revved to 8K in neutral then dropped into Drive.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
An automatic with manual shifting? I have not heard of such advanced technology, please inform me further on the subject. It must be very complicated for even the most intellectual among us. Gladly it seems to be able to go from 4th to 1st AUTOMATICALLY, which manuals are cleary not capable of. That transmission must be built like a rock to not have 3rd gear grind (pun intended). It is a wonder why a Ford would make fun of a car who's company does not have to be bailed out but even more of a wonder why he would think that an auto RSX is a sports car. To my knowledge this type of transmission would best work when revved to 8K in neutral then dropped into Drive.
thanks for your "advice" :eek:

·
Registered
638 Posts
^ I hope u realize that was a joke. Don't actually do that. You have an automatic just like every other automatic. Sportshift allows u to choose the gear but if it doesn't like your decision it may override you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
^ I hope u realize that was a joke. Don't actually do that. You have an automatic just like every other automatic. Sportshift allows u to choose the gear but if it doesn't like your decision it may override you.
dude i know, I'm not as stupid as he thinks I am... :p so that means 6000rpm is fine for it and if I'm doing something wrong like stopping on 4th gear it turns 1st correcting me so I dont mess it up?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Pretty much. But stopping in fourth isn't that bad because your torque converter stops the engine from stalling. It is hard to start in fourth though. If you don't know what a torque converter is then i suggest you learn about how automatic transmissions work if you are interested. Once you know how your tranny works then you can answer your own questions.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pretty much. But stopping in fourth isn't that bad because your torque converter stops the engine from stalling. It is hard to start in fourth though. If you don't know what a torque converter is then i suggest you learn about how automatic transmissions work if you are interested. Once you know how your tranny works then you can answer your own questions.
alright thanks! I'm not that dummy to start in fourth, I was concerned is it fine for this type of tranny to get high rpm on low gears.

·
Registered
612 Posts
dude i know, I'm not as stupid as he thinks I am... :p so that means 6000rpm is fine for it and if I'm doing something wrong like stopping on 4th gear it turns 1st correcting me so I dont mess it up?

Yes.
Its acting just like it would when you put it in complete auto.
say you're crusing, if you notice when you are coasting to a stop, it doesnt downshift through each gear, it waits until you hit the gas again then goes straight to the proper gear. ie, it will go from 4th to 1st or 4th to 2nd, or whatever.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes.
Its acting just like it would when you put it in complete auto.
say you're crusing, if you notice when you are coasting to a stop, it doesnt downshift through each gear, it waits until you hit the gas again then goes straight to the proper gear. ie, it will go from 4th to 1st or 4th to 2nd, or whatever.
alright that's what I thought, thanks! now I get the concept of it.

·
Banned
8,155 Posts
I always wonder why base auto drivers even use tiptronic.
Its not like everytime you push that fake stick you get an added millimeter to your dick.
Just leave it in drive
cause you probly dont have one to begin with

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I always wonder why base auto drivers even use tiptronic.
Its not like everytime you push that fake stick you get an added millimeter to your dick.
Just leave it in drive
Why not? It's still some fun... everything has it's own advantages. It doesnt mean u have a big dick cuz u drive types and I have small driving base auto. there are some things u dont choose un ur life man...

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.