Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving and i hit a puddle on my passenger side at about 45 mph. then my check engine light came on. i took the negative side of the battery off for about 20 seconds, put it back on, and the light still comes back on. any body possibly know why this is the case? what do you think the code might be?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah its weird. even when i unplug the battery, turn on the car, few seconds later it pops up. headache

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i guess ill have to hook up a scanner tomorrow and check it out. ill keep yall on update. i have been thinking and i cant seem to figure out why this is the case. the alternator is dry. thats one of the major electical things that i can think of thats on the passenger side (where i ran over the water)... but im thinking this: if the check engine light comes on, that means something electrical is wrong, meaning that it is quite fixable.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well I drove the car to work and the light is not on. the cel is off. ill still monitor the light just in case. I didn't even get a chance to see why the light came on . oh well I hope it doesn't come back on.

·
Registered
152 Posts
You can still scan it to see what the prob was. Error codes stay until cleared.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
I'd get it scanned anyway...

Anyone know where the harness to plug in OBDII is?

My buddy has a scanner and I wanna scan mine for shits n giggles... I've heard even if you have no CEL you can still have codes... True?

·
Awd>All
3,163 Posts
I'd get it scanned anyway...

Anyone know where the harness to plug in OBDII is?

My buddy has a scanner and I wanna scan mine for shits n giggles... I've heard even if you have no CEL you can still have codes... True?
under the dash, on the driver side toward the center console

·
Suzuka Blue AP2
739 Posts
I was driving and i hit a puddle on my passenger side at about 45 mph. then my check engine light came on. i took the negative side of the battery off for about 20 seconds, put it back on, and the light still comes back on. any body possibly know why this is the case? what do you think the code might be?
pulling the battery cable does nothing in an obd-2 car, once a codes in the computer it will always be in the computer unless a scan tool clears it.

go get it checked and fix it!

·
Suzuka Blue AP2
739 Posts
I've heard even if you have no CEL you can still have codes... True?
yes, just because that engine light isn't on doesn't meen theres nothing stored in that computer. they call it temporary or history dtc's. temp will always throw a check engine light. the history dtc is when you've been driving for awhile with the engine light on or some scan tools will not fully delete the code and put it into the history side of the dtc. if you ever get to see the honda/acura tablet (scan tool) you'd see what i meen

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
yes, just because that engine light isn't on doesn't meen theres nothing stored in that computer. they call it temporary or history dtc's. temp will always throw a check engine light. the history dtc is when you've been driving for awhile with the engine light on or some scan tools will not fully delete the code and put it into the history side of the dtc. if you ever get to see the honda/acura tablet (scan tool) you'd see what i meen
Gotcha.

So my situation is that I bought my car certified used and I have NEVER had a CEL.

Chances are I wont see anything cause:

1. the dealer probably cleared off ANY codes that may have been on there before I bought it

and

2. I would have seen a CEL for ANY code that would be stored in there since I purchased it...

am I right?

Thanks btw! :thumbsup: +rep

EDIT: your rep disabled...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts