Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Halolcat Crew
10,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the much lower, attainable price range of the new duc 1098, do you think the exclusivity of the bike itself has dropped a notch?

Now that it is offering much more bang for the buck compared to the 999 (but still not like the japanese i4's) I would assume a lot more people will be attaining one.

For me, if I were to own a duc or an mv, a large part of it is to have something that not everyone else has...

What are your thoughts?

btw if you guys want exclusivity, check out the MV Augusta F4CC and check the msrp on that sucker!

·
¯\(º_o)/¯
5,574 Posts
Just an fyi, I've been told (not sure how true it is) all 07 1098s have been sold already.

I saw one on the streets the other day and it's gorgeous. I could care less if it is less exclusive, I just want to ride it :)

The upcoming Aprilia V4 though...

·
Halolcat Crew
10,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just an fyi, I've been told (not sure how true it is) all 07 1098s have been sold already.

I saw one on the streets the other day and it's gorgeous. I could care less if it is less exclusive, I just want to ride it :)

The upcoming Aprilia V4 though...
I've heard the same.

I haven't seen one in person but I am sure that it is a sexy beast. But my question still loom in my mind...I wonder if the hardcore ducatisi are pissed they are making the bike more accessible to people like you and I....

8,021 Posts
I've heard the same.

I haven't seen one in person but I am sure that it is a sexy beast. But my question still loom in my mind...I wonder if the hardcore ducatisi are pissed they are making the bike more accessible to people like you and I....
I saw one on the freeway coming back from Ortega Hwy :eek: I wanted to follow him home lol

·
Super Newbie
573 Posts
All in all I don't think Ducati's were exclusive at all to begin with. I see more Ducati's than MV's or Aprillia's. I don't understand the lowering of the price though. The people that buy Ducati's would buy it if it were +/- 5K. Besides...by the time they were released, all the previous Ducati owners probably swiped all of them. Minus the suspension and exhaust now and it's cheaper than a japanese liter bike. You want to talk exclusive?....Benelli.

8,021 Posts
for me its never been about exclusive or it being exotic. I always loved the way they looked and they way they sound. From what I hear, they handle great and has great low end power. I'm sure I can adapt to any changes including the aggressive riding position

The fact that theyre considered 'high end' is a bonus.

·
made of particles
11,438 Posts
bringing it back from the dead here, but...
i saw probably about half a dozen of them in 2 days while i was in boston a couple days ago. hot bike, they sound sooo nice, even just at idle. very lumpy, kinda like a smoothed out, deeper, and less crackly version of a harley.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
and another comment... I was at the ducati dealer today (dreaming, i know) to see the new hypermotard (fantastic machine) and they had a few 1098s. the only one still available is a yellow base model.

FYI, the guy said he could probably get an 07 if whoever wanted it put down a deposit. The price will go up in 08 "$500-1000" he said.

Also, the options are where they get you with these bikes. A base model bike may be relatively attainable, but as soon as you add the sweet suspension, brakes, pipes, and wheels that we all drool over... it gets pricey really fast.

I still want one....

·
Registered
454 Posts
Despite the fact that they're brand new, I've seen 5 or 6 1098s roaming around (there's even a guy in my building who has one), but I've never seen a 999 or 996 outside of the dealer. So yeah, I'd say they're selling a lot better than previous models.

·
¯\(º_o)/¯
5,574 Posts
I passed at least 3 at a track day last month. On my 70 whp sv :)

Yes the riders were slow. The bike sure did sound nice.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Despite the fact that they're brand new, I've seen 5 or 6 1098s roaming around (there's even a guy in my building who has one), but I've never seen a 999 or 996 outside of the dealer. So yeah, I'd say they're selling a lot better than previous models.
I live in the better parts of Cali and I have yet to see a 1098. My neighbor has a 999 though.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I live in the better parts of Cali and I have yet to see a 1098. My neighbor has a 999 though.
I live in downtown Denver (right by the main "biker show-off" type streets), so there's a fair number of wealthy "yuppies" in the area. It's also been gorgeous the last couple of months, so everyone is out in force. There's a pretty nice Ducati dealer only 2 or 3 miles from me too.

PS - the 1098 is one hot-looking bike. Too much for me though, both money and ability-wise.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I live in downtown Denver (right by the main "biker show-off" type streets), so there's a fair number of wealthy "yuppies" in the area. It's also been gorgeous the last couple of months, so everyone is out in force. There's a pretty nice Ducati dealer only 2 or 3 miles from me too.

PS - the 1098 is one hot-looking bike. Too much for me though, both money and ability-wise.
Are the new exhaust laws being enforced pretty well? I also hear the shell gas station isn't welcoming bikers to hang around anymore?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Are the new exhaust laws being enforced pretty well? I also hear the shell gas station isn't welcoming bikers to hang around anymore?
Don't know about the shell station (I'm a relatively new biker and haven't found all the hangouts yet). I would say there has been a bit of a decrease in obnoxiously loud cruisers overall, but the 2 assholes who rolled by my apartment with ungodly loud pipes at 2 am last night definitely aren't paying any attention to the noise ordinance.

While I think the noise ordinance probably had good intentions, I don't like it's implementation. Even though I've got a pretty quiet bike and never go above about 7k rpm in the city (on a 12k redline), I could still technically get a ticket since my after-market exhaust doesn't have the EPA embossed logo. I'm sure I could pass any legitimate EPA-administered noise test, but that really doesn't matter the way the new law is written. I don't have the stock exhaust to switch back to either if I was to get a ticket, so I could get hit with a $500 fine.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Hmm very interesting. I'm sure they meant for the best but it sounds like a bunch of non-riders pieced that crap together. Kind of unfortunate for riders such as yourself. Good luck with that tho...and remember, you could always outrun the cops, maybe. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.