Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Do you mean if someone just hands you a dyno sheet and asks you if you can tell wether or not it's WHP or to the crank? B/c someone can tell you they had 300HP and I don't think there's a way to actually tell wether it's WHP or not, right off the bat I mean.

·
Still tuning....
4,331 Posts
Theres a 50/50 chance...so guess. :spin:

Just kidding. A dynojet and mustang dynos are wheel hp. A mustang dyno usually reads the "lowest" of them all because it considers the weight of the car and other factors. A dyno jet is when you just spin the wheels on the rollers. It reads a little higher then the mustang. Make sure that the hp is corrected or else it could give false readings also. However, a dynopack is a little closer to the engine hp...but still not the actual crank hp. I think this is measured just off the hubs of the car or something stupid like that. Also, the correction factor can be adjusted eaiser on a dynopack. A CF of 1.00 is not taking in to consideration any loss at the wheels. I think for our cars it should be around .85. Im not an expert by any means, so some of this might be wrong.

Either way, 90% of people go by dynojets.

·
Registered
87 Posts
kracker said:
Theres a 50/50 chance...so guess. :spin:

Just kidding. A dynojet and mustang dynos are wheel hp. A mustang dyno usually reads the "lowest" of them all because it considers the weight of the car and other factors. A dyno jet is when you just spin the wheels on the rollers. It reads a little higher then the mustang. Make sure that the hp is corrected or else it could give false readings also. However, a dynopack is a little closer to the engine hp...but still not the actual crank hp. I think this is measured just off the hubs of the car or something stupid like that. Also, the correction factor can be adjusted eaiser on a dynopack. A CF of 1.00 is not taking in to consideration any loss at the wheels. I think for our cars it should be around .85. Im not an expert by any means, so some of this might be wrong.

Either way, 90% of people go by dynojets.
It's really opinionated now-a-days. For example, you might believe a Dynojet offers you the closest to WHP, but IMO I believe the Dynapack does. Since the Dynapack can be more consistent (not back to back same day runs), far more sensitive, and eliminates intertia, it's actually the closest to calculating the power after drivetrain loss.

·
BOOST
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well Cause I dyno'd my car in Jan. and I sjhowed my uncle last night and he said that there is no way I have 300hp to the ground, he said it has to be engine hp, because to put out 300 hp to the ground i would need to be making like 500+ to the engine.

·
Out on bail
1,125 Posts
baddkar said:
Well Cause I dyno'd my car in Jan. and I sjhowed my uncle last night and he said that there is no way I have 300hp to the ground, he said it has to be engine hp, because to put out 300 hp to the ground i would need to be making like 500+ to the engine.
that isnt true. it could be 300whp becuase that is what a bunch of kits put out. you have to calculate a 15% hp loss from the flywheel to the wheels. that would mean you probly have around 350hp if you are making 300 to the wheels, not 500.

·
BOOST
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think i was on a dynojet... and i have the dyno sheet, and it says SAE corrected (which i dont know what that means either, but i know corrected would most likely be more accurate, right?)

·
Registered
87 Posts
baddkar said:
I really don't see how that's possible to have a 500HP engine and lose 60% to the drivetrain, doesn't make any sense does it?

·
Registered
464 Posts
baddkar said:
Not true.Even though there is a loss of power on the RSX from the crank to the wheel the number is not THAT high. However some cars lose more from the crank to the wheel. A drive shaft for instance will cause more lose of power from the crank to the wheel.

·
Registered
156 Posts
baddkar said:
dyno jets read real high so if you are running enough boost you could get 300 on a dyno jet, which is like 240 on a mustang. Dyno jets aren't very accurate so i wouldn't base your real wheel hp off of one, go to a tuner with a mustang :thumbsup:

·
I love Audi Junkie!!!
3,072 Posts
baddkar said:
Everybody has "THAT" uncle.. LOL

Dude, is your car fast? Enough said!!!

Just chalenge your uncle to a race, and no matter what he drives, he will soon believe your dyno numbers..

See ya,
JMS

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.