Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright im looking at dyno'ing my car sometime soon and I had a couple questions.

1. What gear should I have them dyno it in?
2. Do I just have them take it to the rev limit with the nitrous engaged? I have an RPM window switch that will cut off at 7400 or 7600.
3. What else do I need to do before getting my car dyno'd?
4. Anything else I should look or read about?

·
Registered
16,758 Posts
everyone else, while dynoing this car, does it in third. therefore, i'd say third. you want to go at closest to 1:1 gearing. just make sure the dyno place has those numbers, otherwise, it doesn't mean crap.

whats the low cutoff of your window switch? say it was 4000, tell them to go from 3k to redline, and they'll normally stop right at 7900.

and no, he's getting it dynoed, theres nothing to tune with a universal system unless you start playing with custom jet sizes.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My low cutoff is 3800 so ill do the 3k to redline. If I had a V-AFC II would it benefit me with my nitrous or should I just save it for an exhaust/header combo?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey Pepsi - I don't mean to interject, but I may need to point out the inaccuracy in this statement.

"everyone else, while dynoing this car, does it in third. therefore, i'd say third. you want to go at closest to 1:1 gearing. "

Are you agreeing with the "run in 3rd", or in 5th, when the gearing is closest to 1:1?

3rd, 4th, and 5th.... respectively.

·
Registered
16,758 Posts
there ya go. i couldn't find those numbers for the life of me.

hit me with all of them, and the final would ya :thumbsup:

see, now according to that, you should run in 4th. (5th is a nono with n2o)

·
Registered
35 Posts
happy to oblige

Gear - Ratio

1: 3.266:1
2: 2.130:1
3: 1.517:1
4: 1.147:1
5: .921:1
6: .738:1

Final: 4.388:1

Note: These are specs for TYPE-S only. The Base RSX, Civic Si, and Type-R, are different.

·
Registered
16,758 Posts
see, that sounds good, but unless they had the right gearing setup, really doesn't mean all that much.... looks like they definatly had to be close though.

throw your chart up here :thumbsup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got mine dyno at R&D dyno he tuned my car and raised the vtec with my afc so I can even out the bars on the chart when the gears change from high and low. He didnt do much when he dyno it with zex nitrous it just put out impressing numbers 231hp 178lbs at the wheel and 188hp and 135 torque with out bottle.

·
Registered
16,758 Posts
ok, put into english what you said, so i can comprehend it..

"so I can even out the bars on the chart when the gears change from high and low."

231 isn't bad, i think it should be higher though. if you put out 188 with an nx or nos kit, you'd be pushin 250 ;) but zex is easy to install. i'll give ya that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
At the dyno everytime i-vtec kicks I was loosing power a dip on the chart, so they raised my vtec higher and it fixed the dip on the chart to the point where the car was making power with nitrous and smothing out the curve. Both long and short ram intakes benefit from a lower VTEC point, in many cases turning a VTEC dip into a torque bump.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts