Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking into the Hondata website and they have that ecu reflash that add up to 12hp and 9ft lb on a stock engine and goes for 300$ and dyno chart shown. that sounds like a good deal. running a search on it, it seems that people are happy with this mod as well. my question is that is this mod simply getting 12hp for 300 bucks or is there other tradeoffs involved ? abviously the mpg might go lower but i'm concerned about engine longetivity and realiability, does the tuning has any effect on that ? i'm thinking if that engine can get additional 12hp simply by tuning it then why Honda wouldn't tune it in the beginning and marketed that car at 175hp rather then 160hp, it would sell better, there must be some catch there ?? how does this advancing the ignition and altering the cam timing that Hondata mentions work and what are the tradeoffs ?

·
Registered
39 Posts
The reflash is meant to take advantage of common Intake, Header, and Exhaust mods. You will loose a little but of low end power and gain more higher rpm power. You will need to run high octane fuel as well. Your engine's redline will be increased by like 500 RPM. There is always a possibility of engine damage, but highly unlikely!

·
CIVICes1
186 Posts
cja3455, this tune is on my "to do list"
I think as long as u keep up with maintenance, Reflash should be ok.
I mean , it was desing to handle stock engine well, with just basic bolt ons.
im planning on running it with my v2 AEM+shorty deader+custom catback. I know I should
have a CAI and race header, but I need my cat for emissions. and reflash is emissions friendly,lol,, I might get a CAI. I just want the extra RPMs , also, I might get a RBC mani.
And I think Hondata Reflash was released after the ep3, so about Honda not adding the extra HP it was just Hondatas technology that figured it out, I think im not sure.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Gotta, be careful wanting extra RPM's outta the A3. Especially stock A3 (rods, crank, pistons.) Trust me if I didn't blow mine up I'd still be rockin an A3. I think this mod is great for hp, and getting you up to 7k, but once you start peaking the motor as the norm stand by, it's only a matter of time. Sure you can tell the motor it can handle the extra rpm's just like I tell you can bench press 300lbs, but if your not built/trained to handle it what do you think's going to happen?

·
Registered
493 Posts
As far as low end torque, I installed a 2 1/2" AEM cai with an oversized filter and have much improved low rpm torque. I believe the the oversized filter keeps the top end from starving. I don't know how it will hold up after 150whp but it's great for now.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I've had this same setup since I bought mine. Transferred over to K20A seems to hold up good, but I haven't really opened her up either. Just dd for about 5mi. to work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts