Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
SOLO II
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just saw that CA is now checking for tuned ECU during smog check! WTF!? I have honda data reflash... anyone know if this is gonna be a problem?

·
Original Owner
2005 acura rsx type s
654 Posts
Oh interesting. They were doing that in massachusetts also. They caught one of my car that had kpro but it pass the one that had a reflash. When your car hits that 15 yr mark then they don't check anymore. A few audi, subies and stuff got caught also with modified ecu.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I contacted Hondata... reflash owners are pretty screwed and will have to return to stock for $100 by resending in the ECU/key/immobilizer. I asked them if they were going to offer a CARB approved transition and they said they have no plans to (this really sucks). They also have no plans to seek CARB approval for the current reflash.

The ECU must have the original software code from the factory software to pass smog so it'll pretty much fail 100%.

Here's an article - California Will Start Checking for ECU Tuning In Smog Checks This Month | Car Bibles

·
Original Owner
2005 acura rsx type s
654 Posts
I contacted Hondata... reflash owners are pretty screwed and will have to return to stock for $100 by resending in the ECU/key/immobilizer. I asked them if they were going to offer a CARB approved transition and they said they have no plans to (this really sucks). They also have no plans to seek CARB approval for the current reflash.

The ECU must have the original software code from the factory software to pass smog so it'll pretty much fail 100%.

Here's an article - California Will Start Checking for ECU Tuning In Smog Checks This Month | Car Bibles
That was a good read. I feel bad for you guys in California.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We can tell the smog tech that our cars identify as smog exempt vehicles. It's California, so they'll understand.
I don't think that'll work as it'll probably get flagged by the software itself. I doubt they would make it that easy to be circumvented and they know our cars are not exempt.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I don't think that'll work as it'll probably get flagged by the software itself. I doubt they would make it that easy to be circumvented and they know our cars are not exempt.
Nah dude, forget about the software and logic. If it works for the LGBT community, it has to work for the car community. They can't discriminate against us!

·
ECU Tuner
4,287 Posts
That's an obnoxious situation, but leave it to California to harass people as much as possible. I wonder how this affects folks with the Hondata k100 (essentially a KPro only dealers could program). Back when it came out, Comptech managed to get CARB approval for their k100/supercharger kit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah I was really hoping Hondata would at least try to give some kind of "step up" program for Reflash purchasers. Something like... we'll design a CARB approved reflash and only charge 50% if you already own the old reflash just to help you keep what you purchased and still pass smog. But unfortunately, it doesn't sound like they're going to do that... we're going to be left out. Something like that would be a Win Win for both the company and the consumer where both sides end up with something.

·
SOLO II
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i am curious to hear if anyone in CA has already tried to pass smog with the re-flash. It would be messed up that Hondadata is not going to at least try to help its' customers that have purchased their products. If i have to go back to OEM settings its gonna stay that way.

·
Breast inspector by appt.
9,239 Posts
unfortunately everyone in california is probably screwed and don't look at hondata for a cure. there is a disclaimer on all of their products that they are never to be used on a public road.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Hondata would have to submit the reflash for approval and that's a long process that costs money. I doubt there’s enough people running a reflash in California for them to recover their cost if they were to go through that approval process.

·
ECU Tuner
4,287 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
i am curious to hear if anyone in CA has already tried to pass smog with the re-flash. It would be messed up that Hondadata is not going to at least try to help its' customers that have purchased their products. If i have to go back to OEM settings its gonna stay that way.
Yep we'll probably get word of people failing smog soon as the new rules just hit. But after talking to Hondata, "only an ECU programmed with original code from the manufacturer will pass" so yeah looks like we gotta pay them $100 to get the OEM settings with the original code back. Luckily I passed smog a few months before the new rule hit or it would have been bad to fail suddenly.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
For those of us with Ktuner, there is good news. There's a thread on Civicx where someone asked about this back in 2019. Ktuner stated that the "revert to factory" option uses factory software that will match the original CVN. The VIN remains unchanged.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I’m reading this from Washington feeling bad for you guys. As if the smog deal wasn’t bad enough…. So if your car can pass smog why is a check for an aftermarket ecu necessary?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts