Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1961 - 1980 of 2017 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Sorry to just barge in. But I’m getting ready to take my first step into adding some performance. I have an 06 Auto. I do plan on doing a manual swap soon, but I wanna add some power for the time being. I’m thinking about buying Ktuner now but sending in my ECU is not an option because my parents can’t find out about it lol

SO, would it be better for me to A. Buy the Auto ecu thats been unlocked & sell the reg ecu?
Or B. Wait until I get all the parts together for the manual swap & get ktuner then?

I’m trying to figure out which approach would be more cost effective

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cost effective steps:
1. Save for a type s
2. Tell your parents you're a grown ass person (I wont assume your gender bro #me2)
3. Revel in the cost/labor savings

Stack that money and wait, theres a good life lesson in there somewhere about good things and waiting

·
Registered
41 Posts
Cost effective steps:
1. Save for a type s
2. Tell your parents you're a grown ass person (I wont assume your gender bro #me2)
3. Revel in the cost/labor savings

Stack that money and wait, theres a good life lesson in there somewhere about good things and waiting

Yes but I’ve already invested into this RSX ontop of that, I have 5K left to pay off. Motor has low ass miles. It was kind of a steal. But honestly I was thinking of taking that approach. It’s gonna be at least a year before I finish paying this one off

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
In that case, I'd save up and do it all at once. Gives you more time to assess options and possibilities, plus it would sure be nice to pay off you car before you start dumping money into it. As my good friend Dave Ramsey says, cash is king and debt is dumb.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you want the extra bit of power, just buy it now. You will still benefit from it even though you have an auto trans. The reflash isn't anything spectacular, but it's an improvement over stock. Paired it with bolt ons and it made highway merging/passing much easier.

Yes thats exactly what I was thinking. But I may just wait & do it all at once because the more money I spend, the longer I have to wait to do the tranny swap

·
Registered
41 Posts
In that case, I'd save up and do it all at once. Gives you more time to assess options and possibilities, plus it would sure be nice to pay off you car before you start dumping money into it. As my good friend Dave Ramsey says, cash is king and debt is dumb.

I think thats a smart move. I can use this time to do all my flashy mods (splitter, coils, side skirts etc.) then when I get my other job I can go for the swap. I just get bummed out about how ass that A3 motor is * My dumbass was getting close to frank swapping it. I’m just gonna toss a snail on a few months after the tranny swap & call it a day

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I swapped a k24a2 into my 06 rsx, and it ran and drove fine. I recently did a full rebuild and ssaw someone say not to do it without a kpro. Why is that?
I've seen people use the stock ECU also but let's be honest, just because there isnt an apparent problem doesnt mean ones not forming or is occurring. The kpro let's you accommodate for different internals/sensors/gearing/etc and the stock ECU just goes about its business like normal. I guess the best answer I can give you is; the performance wont be as good, it wont be as efficient and there is probably a problem lying in wait. The 700 dollars for kpro makes sense when it comes to protecting your investment. But hey I can be entirely wrong and it wouldn't be the first time.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I swapped a k24a2 into my 06 rsx, and it ran and drove fine. I recently did a full rebuild and ssaw someone say not to do it without a kpro. Why is that?
Because the factory tune can't safely run the motor. It may be able to run, but I guarantee it's not safe. Most get a CEL for running too lean. Even if it could run it safely, you're not taking advantage of the motors full potential.

the K24a2 has a lower compression ratio, lower redline, larger bore, and longer stroke. Do yourself a favor and get Kpro. That is the best way to protect your investment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Question: I picked up an 03 RSX with a K24 swap and also a Kpro installed. It was running fine but after going on a trip, I came back to a dead battery and after changing a new battery I can no longer get it to run. It won't crank or start. (Starter is good, I've given power to the starter and it cranks).

I think it's got something to do with the immobilizer but I'm not completely sure. I also tried to get into the Kpro but most of the buttons are greyed out and I can't seem to pull the map from the ECU. (While plugged into my computer, the software says on the bottom "Driver Installed", "Online" and "Ignition off") I don't have much experience with the Kpro so any tips would be awesome.

Anyone encountered this issue before or have any tips/suggestions? I'm out of ideas here...

·
NA Today
1,505 Posts
Question: I picked up an 03 RSX with a K24 swap and also a Kpro installed. It was running fine but after going on a trip, I came back to a dead battery and after changing a new battery I can no longer get it to run. It won't crank or start. (Starter is good, I've given power to the starter and it cranks).

I think it's got something to do with the immobilizer but I'm not completely sure. I also tried to get into the Kpro but most of the buttons are greyed out and I can't seem to pull the map from the ECU. (While plugged into my computer, the software says on the bottom "Driver Installed", "Online" and "Ignition off") I don't have much experience with the Kpro so any tips would be awesome.

Anyone encountered this issue before or have any tips/suggestions? I'm out of ideas here...
I'm not sure if you can pull the kal file from the ECU to edit it and turn the immobilizer option off. But even if you can't do that, you can load a new base map with immobilizer off and see if it'll start. But then you should retune it.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this...

I managed to keep my WOT AFR between 12.8-13.1 from 2000-7000 (A3) in 3rd gear, but I'm showing larger variances in other gears. Anywhere from high 11's to mid 13's. Is this normal with K series motors, or do I have a super secret problem waiting to bite me in the ass?

It's just a plain old A3 w/bolt ons paired to the auto tranny, tuned by Tkane on Ktuner with adjustments to the WOT columns made by me.

·
Always on TDY...
2,159 Posts

I managed to keep my WOT AFR between 12.8-13.1 from 2000-7000 (A3) in 3rd gear, but I'm showing larger variances in other gears. Anywhere from high 11's to mid 13's. Is this normal with K series motors, or do I have a super secret problem waiting to bite me in the ass?

It's just a plain old A3 w/bolt ons paired to the auto tranny, tuned by Tkane on Ktuner with adjustments to the WOT columns made by me.
It depends on your tune/tuner.... You shouldn't have any crazy variances in your AFRs for select rpms, as in WOT should be consistent throughout gears, but no experience tuning on a auto.

·
Registered
76 Posts

Just plug in you computer to your ecu and turn your key to on. Then on the top of kmanager the tab is “online” that you click then I think it says download.
This will pull your current calibration.

To turn off the immobilizer is in misc tab in your parameters I think.

After that you need to hit upload (it’s the arrow pointing up towards the top of kmanager.) you should hear it upload and see a progress bar as it uploads which is usually quick.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've tried to do that but the "download" button is greyed out. Even when I load a base map and try to upload it, the upload button is greyed out and i can't seem to figure out why.
Just plug in you computer to your ecu and turn your key to on. Then on the top of kmanager the tab is “online” that you click then I think it says download.
This will pull your current calibration.

To turn off the immobilizer is in misc tab in your parameters I think.

After that you need to hit upload (it’s the arrow pointing up towards the top of kmanager.) you should hear it upload and see a progress bar as it uploads which is usually quick.

Hope this helps.

·
NA Today
1,505 Posts

You can set WOT to closed loop now with Kpro. At least with V4, not sure about the older versions.

·
NA Today
1,505 Posts
I've tried to do that but the "download" button is greyed out. Even when I load a base map and try to upload it, the upload button is greyed out and i can't seem to figure out why.
I think I had a similar issue when I upgraded to v4 but I think what I had to do cleared the calibration from the ECU. Wasn't an issue for me since I already had it saved. Let me know if you're willing to do that and I'll look in Kmanager and see if I can remember what I did

·
Registered
975 Posts

You can set WOT to closed loop now with Kpro. At least with V4, not sure about the older versions.
Any idea if the “WOT Enrichment” tab on Ktuner is the same? I fucked with it once and noticed it remained in closed loop while maintaining the desired AFR.

1961 - 1980 of 2017 Posts